Peasevern Yard - 7mm BR Blue shunting layout

Due to further upheaval in the garage from the ongoing garden room and Land Rover rebuild the layout is currently trapped in front of the aforementioned vehicle.  Unfortunately the Bedford lorry  is currently in the layout so attention has turned to the class 37....

Over the years I have owned over 30 class 37 models peaking at one time when I owned 17 Lima variants before finally selling my last 3 Bachmann 4mm versions earlier this year. The latter 3 had undergone substantial surgery over the time I owned them and hence a critical eye has been run over the Heljan model currently in my possession. Originally dating from the late 2000's the Heljan model is passable at 10ft and many will be happy to apply some numbers and weathering but for me it has plenty of scope for improvement and refinement.  The way I would describe the model is like an upscale 4mm version as some of the detail is either missing or clunky. Luckily PH Designs provide most of what is required....

First off the bogies need some work. Axle box covers are virtually non existent and the air cylinders for the brakes are missing the pipe feeding them while rather bizarrely Heljan moulded a speedo cable on every side frame even though it was only fitted on the driver side at no 2 end. The cable was ground off the bogies then the air pipes were made up from 0.45mm wire, and the axle box covers were fitted to 11 of the 12 boxes. The Heljan footsteps also are ok but not great and will be replaced by etched brass PH ones. I did this in 4mm and it was "fun" to assemble them so hopefully these will be a bit easier...

20201026_192530.jpg.e2593986f51ab8e16b7a47659b95eae6.jpg

One of the most jarring thing on the loco for me is the poor roof fan grille so an etched brass one is being fitted, seen here being trialled for fitment. The original Heljan one was carefully removed as I am keen to avoid a full repaint of the model.

20201026_203322.jpg.329d01c45e88fb7c521289337ad24843.jpg

• Like 9

The class 37 is now progressing at pace and I have been sorting the Headcode box fronts. In reality the headcode glass is flush with the metal frame and is held in by a rubber beading and the Domino markers were stuck directly to the back of this glass. Heljan have modelled the beading as part of the frame but also replicated the beading again on the perspex insert and then recessed the actual glass front. They have then stuck the domino marker to the back of the thick perspex which at about a scale 0.75 of a foot thick makesthe marker lights much to recessed. This is also accentuated by the yellow paint on the inside of the headcode front.

Making the most of the original Heljan parts, I filed off the raised beading from the glazing insert. I then found a reasonably head on picture of a class 37 and cropped the image to create the "00" for the headcode which was stuck on the front of the glazing insert. To create the flush glass front of the headcode I cut out sheets of thin perspex and glued those into the outer frame, having previously painted the inner edges black.

20201030_072443.jpg.5610e8ef3045f314b24283a98d9470dc.jpg

In place on the loco it looks a distinct improvement on the original Heljan effort. If I was modelling a loco with dominoes I would have put the domino image on the back of the new glass front, whereas roller blinds were set slightly back from the glass. The photo below shows the end result and also shows the new horn grilles.

20201105_055941.jpg.3fa15cb9621a691e6b57208361528061.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

22 hours ago, sb67 said:

Looks great Rob :good_mini:

Thanks Steve.

The class 37 is temporarily back in one piece as I have put the bogie sideframes in place to fit the Handbrake chains. Due to the sideframes needing to be removable I needed an easy way to make the chains removable from the body. The answer is Neodymium magnets which I bought 8 of from ebay for a few pounds. They are 1mm x 2mm and I glued one magnet to the chassis and 1 to the brass operating arm per corner. The magnets are very strong bearing in mind their size but they also provide some resilience to the chain/arms getting knocked during handing. The chain is some I had in stock and was secured permanently to the bogie frame. 

20201105_221027.jpg.5a5512fd5b47f2970f7b122c03e8357d.jpg

Also visible are the etched brass PH designs steps, which are a bit easier to assemble in 7mm but still fiddly. Not really visible above is I have made a front bogie cross member and fitted brake rodding across the front of the bogie. This is secured at one side only so the frames remain removable. I am contemplating how to replace the poor guard irons Heljan have fitted and also would like to fit some front sand pipes as well. Not long to go with this one now and with the garage nearly back to normal I can crack on with the layout.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

7 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Excellent work on the 37 Rob.

I really like the cab wall idea, a great compromise based on the limitations of the model. Looks spot on through the windows

Jo

Thanks Jo, I am really pleased how this is shaping up, the Heljan model has a fair few bits which could be better but some simple detailing does really lift the models appearance. Can't wait to get it weathered. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Good work ! I’m amazed at the Heljan accuracy ( or lack of ) for £500+

It is a tough one Rob, discounting the  Skytrek/ DJH / ex RJH models which are in my opinion worse models, there is only one other option and I did look at going down the MM1 models route but that would have cost a lot more and that has it's own faults. I am probably picky as to the level of detail I want on this loco as it is likely to be the last loco I buy for some time.

The Heljan model has an issues with the roof which compresses the body side grilles but it is not that bad and to be honest it is nothing compared to the issues with the first 2 attempts Bachmann made of the class 37 in 4mm which were released at the same time as the original Heljan release. The fact that the latest batch of blue ones sold out before they landed in the UK says there is enough demand at the price so can't blame Heljan charging what they do. I would love Accurascale to do a 7mm version though...

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/11/2020 at 16:36, 37114 said:

I never cease to be amazed at the speed Railtec spin round custom transfers. My order for these transfers was only placed at lunchtime yesterday. They are for 3 platform trolleys on order.

My 3 Platform trolleys turned up today, really impressed with them and the service from model railway scenes. I was initially sent a 00 set in error (which Pete let me keep so these will be a final addition to Parsons Vale) but the O gauge ones arrived with a complimentary set of jerry cans and fire extinguishers.  Amazing, especially when you consider the trolleys are only £3.85. 

20201119_164317.jpg.c1b3a138a3677c839d3494e4fc6cc5b2.jpg

I am busy finishing building our Garden room so no progress on the layout for a few weeks but can't wait to get the 37/Bedford Lorry  and these finished and on the layout

• Like 9

I couldn't sleep last night so did the bulk of the weathering on the class 37, I am pleased how this is turning out and the difference compared to the out of the box loco.

20201121_062452.jpg.93b155cb8f13fb595ddd80a7da36acc3.jpg

20201121_062519.jpg.105ff019bac01fafe9c64959baad05cf.jpg

Also making progress is the Bedford,  I have modified the front axle to pose the wheels turning to the right. I have removed all the glazing and now need to mix up some paint for the cab

20201121_062430.jpg.4738cec0d03b7f52f10f98b926090fda.jpg

Edited by 37114
Add photos back in
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, sb67 said:

I just love the bulk that makes O gauge loco's look so real. The weathering really sets it off, fantastic work Rob :)

Thanks Steve, It is a heavy old lump! Some O gauge stuff does look toy like in my opinion fresh out of the box when it is clean and shiny..

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

As part of the operating sequence 3 of the 16t wagons will arrive on the layout empty to be exchanged with 3 loaded scrap wagons originating at the scrap yard. The plan is that I can remove the loads from the outgoing wagons once in the fiddle yard and then replace them in the wagons on the layout at a convenient point.

To make the wagon loads I have followed the same process as on Peafore Yard where a small block of wood is placed in the bottom of the wagon, a piece of black card the size of the wagon on top of which some scrap is glued. The photo below shows the 3 steps although the scrap is loose in the picture as it is yet to be weathered and I was just gauging how much of my stash will be used up which seems to be most of it...

20201205_130113.jpg.621484675284838c31c66802a947645a.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

36 minutes ago, 37114 said:

As part of the operating sequence 3 of the 16t wagons will arrive on the layout empty to be exchanged with 3 loaded scrap wagons originating at the scrap yard. The plan is that I can remove the loads from the outgoing wagons once in the fiddle yard and then replace them in the wagons on the layout at a convenient point.

To make the wagon loads I have followed the same process as on Peafore Yard where a small block of wood is placed in the bottom of the wagon, a piece of black card the size of the wagon on top of which some scrap is glued. The photo below shows the 3 steps although the scrap is loose in the picture as it is yet to be weathered and I was just gauging how much of my stash will be used up which seems to be most of it...

20201205_130113.jpg.621484675284838c31c66802a947645a.jpg

Pretty much the same as I’ve done on Hillport Goods for the coal wagons. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sf315 said:

Pretty much the same as I’ve done on Hillport Goods for the coal wagons. 

Yep, it is quite a common approach I think.  I just need to make sure I don't accidentally glue them in place when adding the scrap which is something I managed to do on one of my 4mm wagons.

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Yep, it is quite a common approach I think.  I just need to make sure I don't accidentally glue them in place when adding the scrap which is something I managed to do on one of my 4mm wagons.

Put some cling film inside the wagon before you put your filling in. Should stop it gluing itself in. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

This has been the reason for the recent hold ups on the layout,  designed and built all by me (except the Electrics), should be finished this weekend. 

20201208_204448.jpg.fa4f988021bc2df47850d0928dc3c215.jpg

hoping that after this weekend I can put the layout up in the garage for a bit to get on with things

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Calnefoxile said:

Must've taken a few pallets to build that :P:P:P

Cheers

Neal.

The cladding is sustainable Siberian Larch, I have moved on a bit in carpentry since building "Pallet Lane" Neal! I did gain 4 pallets from various materials delivery but they have all been converted to wood burner fodder!

• Like 2