Peasevern Yard - 7mm BR Blue shunting layout

9 hours ago, 37114 said:

Jo at Steadfast models has also do another great job with the transfers for my Leyland FG bread van which is nearly finished bar the weathering and Varnish 

Looks brilliant Rob, glad you're happy with the transfers. It's such a distinctive livery.

Jo

• Like 1

Bumper photo time. My wife is away visiting girly friends so I have free reign of the house so it would be rude not to set the layout up;

I tried to stay true to prototype and use just the class 03s and 08 for most of the session 

One of the classic photos that inspired the original 4mm version of the layout was a photo of one of the class 03s at Avon Street with an 08 at Bristol Temple Meads in the background.  It is not the easiest thing to recreate on the layout as that is where the fiddle yard exit is.

20211120_174514.jpg.fc07d2de63266063a07bd224873755c2.jpg

03382 shunts some wagons, I used a few of the lesser sighted wagons tonight 

20211120_174235.jpg.c97a594dee1b00a846afc6018229e4ac.jpg

20211120_173103.jpg.af04633092b025856f9f6ed575f1c27c.jpg

Edited by 37114
Add photos back in
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I left the layout up overnight so I could practice some of the manoeuvres that will be part of the operating sequence at shows. I also took the opportunity to tend to a few bits that had been on the to do list including making a cover for the fiddle yard end of the main board. The layout lives in the garage which gets quite dusty with the ongoing but nearly finished Land Rover restoration.

20211121_070703.jpg.d0ca59ab7df4bd256627293c74487493.jpg

I shared a few photos from last night on the "Show your realistic modelling" thread, @SouthernBlue80s quite correctly pointed out that the 37s buffers lacked grease on the buffer heads,  so I decided to rectify that today. I recently had a bag of powders break in my storage box so used some of the powder from the bottom mixed with some matt 33 paint to create some grease which has been applied to all of the loco buffers and will in due course be added to the wagons. It is very effective although doesn't show up much in the photo below.20211121_080536.jpg.e026556a88aecbb0117e7f6f1e323b40.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Excellent. It was just everything else is so nicely weathered, they just stood out as being too sweaky clean.

I really like your scrap piles and the swarf feel on the ground cover. Looks just right.

Cheers

Steve.

Thanks Steve,  I am really pleased with how the scrap pile has come out, definitely worth the effort.

• Like 1

I found this link last night while searching for some photos for the fiddle yard end of the backscene which I am still not 100% about. The video is a set of stills that shows the inspiration for the layout, some of the photos I had seen before but a number were new and hopefully shows the run down air of the area I am trying to capture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_X0Sw5Qg3I

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 21/11/2021 at 14:49, 37114 said:

Thanks Richard. I see you are at Cheltenham in April, (I am there with Parsons Vale) will be good to catch up again.

Oh, I'd completely forgotten that I had that booked in! Mike asked me a couple years back and will need to get on my 2022 diary!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 37114 said:

As it is now "officially announced" Peasevern Yard's first exhibition outing will be the SWAG members day on 24th April 2022. Looking at the line up it is shaping up to be a great show.

Will see you at two exhibitions in the same month!

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Will see you at two exhibitions in the same month!

Yep I thought the same when I saw you on the SWAG Layout list! I just need to make sure I pack the right layout for the right show! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, 37114 said:

As it is now "officially announced" Peasevern Yard's first exhibition outing will be the SWAG members day on 24th April 2022. Looking at the line up it is shaping up to be a great show.

Hi,

Is this the one at Taunton? I believe I am due to come along and help Richard with Orchard Road.

Look forward to seeing this in the flesh too.

regards,

James

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jamest said:

Hi,

Is this the one at Taunton? I believe I am due to come along and help Richard with Orchard Road.

Look forward to seeing this in the flesh too.

regards,

James

Hi James yes it is in Taunton area (Staplegrove?), look forward to meeting you.

• Like 2

On 21/11/2021 at 09:27, 37114 said:

I left the layout up overnight so I could practice some of the manoeuvres that will be part of the operating sequence at shows. I also took the opportunity to tend to a few bits that had been on the to do list including making a cover for the fiddle yard end of the main board. The layout lives in the garage which gets quite dusty with the ongoing but nearly finished Land Rover restoration.

20211121_070703.jpg.d0ca59ab7df4bd256627293c74487493.jpg

I shared a few photos from last night on the "Show your realistic modelling" thread, @SouthernBlue80s quite correctly pointed out that the 37s buffers lacked grease on the buffer heads,  so I decided to rectify that today. I recently had a bag of powders break in my storage box so used some of the powder from the bottom mixed with some matt 33 paint to create some grease which has been applied to all of the loco buffers and will in due course be added to the wagons. It is very effective although doesn't show up much in the photo below.20211121_080536.jpg.e026556a88aecbb0117e7f6f1e323b40.jpg

Nice catch up here

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone, looking forward to 2022 as fingers crossed I will finally get out to some shows again.

I bought a few bits for the layout in the run up to Xmas including this Ford Tractor. I have found a couple of photos of Avon Street cement sidings where wagons were being shunted by a Ford Tractor modified with rudimentary buffer beams and thought it would make a nice addition to the extension. From recollection it is a universal hobbies model and is a close match to the prototype. 

I wasn't sure if the 3 point coupling was removed from the back but to save modifying the base model too much I left it in place so it can revert back to a standard Tractor if required in the future. As Tractors are not fitted with a chassis they required the bufferbeams to be mounted on a sub frame which would have been secured to the axles. Here is work so far;

20220102_153930.jpg.0a6d89ec2527c6704e8b29ac2869d408.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 37114 said:

I have found a couple of photos of Avon Street cement sidings where wagons were being shunted by a Ford Tractor modified with rudimentary buffer beams and thought it would make a nice addition to the extension.

Radio control, or static?

• Like 1