Peasevern Yard - 7mm BR Blue shunting layout

I've just had a catch up in this thread, it's surprising what can be done in 7mm in a small space. Towards the end of last year I became the custodian of a small 7mm micro layout. That's an interesting set of photos in the you tube link, shame it didn't show any of St Philips as I'm trying to plan a small layout in 4mm based on the couple of sidings there. From the few photos I've seen it was used by Blue Circle cement, but I'm sure other traffic could be justified.

Cheers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

I've just had a catch up in this thread, it's surprising what can be done in 7mm in a small space. Towards the end of last year I became the custodian of a small 7mm micro layout. That's an interesting set of photos in the you tube link, shame it didn't show any of St Philips as I'm trying to plan a small layout in 4mm based on the couple of sidings there. From the few photos I've seen it was used by Blue Circle cement, but I'm sure other traffic could be justified.

Cheers.

Sounds a good project Wayne, have you tried the bristol-rail archive? Also @Rivercider maybe able to help?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 37114 said:

Sounds a good project Wayne, have you tried the bristol-rail archive? Also @Rivercider maybe able to help?

Thanks Rob, I'm hoping it will. I've briefly conversed with Kevin previously about it some time ago, but I don't think he had any photos taken there I found one on Flickr and there's a snap of how it looked in steam days on you tube but that's it.

Cheers.

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 1

On 22/11/2021 at 09:32, 37114 said:

I found this link last night while searching for some photos for the fiddle yard end of the backscene which I am still not 100% about. The video is a set of stills that shows the inspiration for the layout, some of the photos I had seen before but a number were new and hopefully shows the run down air of the area I am trying to capture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_X0Sw5Qg3I

I had missed this link. That is a very atmospheric set of photos, and some views I had never seen before.

cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Cheers.

Are you thinking of the old Midland St Phillips goods yard? That was before my time, so have no photos there.

The cement terminals I remember were Blue Circle at Avonside Wharf, Aberthaw Cement at Lawrence Hill and Ketton Cement at Portishead (and later moved to Lawrence Hill). In the Speedlink era there was also a flow of Rugby Cement which set up a small depot at St Phillips Marsh at (I think) Marsh Ponds sidings where the woodpulp traffic was formerly handled. The traffic was in PCAs, but only one or two wagons passing perhaps two or three days a week, being tripped round from Kingsland Road.

cheers

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...

Having had Parsons Vale up last weekend I decided to put Peasevern Yard up this weekend as it's first outing is only a few weeks after Parsons Vale. There were a couple of bits to attend to. 

I noticed a blob of black paint on the cobbles by the scrapyard office so as I had a manhole on hand I decided to cut out some cobbles in the affected area and put a manhole in instead.

Before:

20220129_144538.jpg.c10ae49aeb31dcf710be2969356a02e7.jpg

After

20220129_153023.jpg.892513a57ba864f4fecce1633c833ccb.jpg

Also on the hit list was the fiddle yard exit on the upper level. I wasn't happy with it on Peafore Yard and the same applies on its bigger brother not aided by the fact I cut the exit slightly wonky.

Before;

20220129_162918.jpg.971b83c06c4dc8d1f2db6393efdeafec.jpg

The inspiration for the solution came from the opposite end of Peafore Yard where a signal gantry formed the scenic break. I found a suitable photo and cut the gantry out. While not 100% it looks much better and I am tempted to build a 3d version:

20220129_163303.jpg.5dbbede71f8e76cfb7373ec1609bbaa4.jpg

Edited by 37114
Add photos back in
  • Like 16

17 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Some great fixes there Rob, the signal gantry disguises the exit hole a treat! Fantastic idea. :good:

Thanks Steve, yes it does look a lot better. I will think about something for the lower level as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Peasevern Yard has another exhibition booking for 2022; Larkrail on 23rd July in Larkhall on the Outskirts of Bath. Really looking forward to this one being my local show now and previous years were excellent 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The class 121 is finished, a few subtle mods involving changing buffers, new transfers, fitted passengers and sorting the Dapol jumpers. All being well this will appear on the layout at SWAG members day.

20220305_095555.jpg.e8e8056a8c543c805d43b8fd72d6480d.jpg

20220305_095544.jpg.03dd0ce80f0600bfcd8d8d2fdb2073b2.jpg

Edited by 37114
Add photos back in
  • Like 12

As part of the exhibition prep I cleaned all the wheels on the locos earlier which required me to move the piece of ply that will form a potential extension to the layout.... Quite early on in the layout plan I had thoughts about a second board which would be accessed from a mouse hole behind the head shunt, on which I could build the cement terminal. This broadly matches the actual track plan where the wagons were marshalled by Habgoods scrap yard then propelled over Avon Street into the blue circle sidings. I bought a second hand point a while ago as well as 2 lengths of track so took the opportunity to roughly lay them out on the board. The good news is I have space for 4 Presflos (I have 8 in total on order/on hand) in each siding although the back siding is likely to have a loading dock for the vans for bagged cement. I am planning to add a separate control panel so the board can be used on its own with the fiddle yard at home. When complete it will give a total scenic length of 10ft.

20220305_151736.jpg.37788db57b5271c9fd627f49d2c4da58.jpg

• Like 15

• 1 month later...

I'm suffering from the same loss of photos as you 37114 but have decided to wait and see what appears.  Also all the add in's from others are unlikely to re-appear and that will be a disaster particularly in the help areas.

I very much like the "reminder" shots you have added though.

Good luck with your first show.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well SWAG was a great success,  I enjoyed operating the Layout and it has also been photographed for an upcoming BRM article. 

I am going to make a minor tweak to the fiddle yard to allow the cassettes to be stored differently which will help with some congestion we experienced today. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Umm I think I need a bigger layout...

20220505_192646.jpg.b8e7ec302d80d0be26a071da643428bc.jpg

....My 7 presflos have arrived. They are excellent and just need some judicious weathering before they are let loose on the layout.

It is fair to say back when I started Peasevern Yard if these had been available I wouldn't have built the scrapyard as I would have modelled the cement sidings as per Peafore Yard but in hindsight I am glad they weren't as the Scrapyard gets lots of positive comments.  The Presflos will still get used in the rear siding of the layout but in the fullness of time the extension board will house a cement terminal.

While at SWAG Phil Parker took photos of the layout for an upcoming article in BRM, the photos look excellent and I can't wait to see it in print.

20220505_192652.jpg

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

The recent appearance of the layout at SWAG was a good opportunity to properly test operating the layout in a "live" environment with most of the stock in use.  One of the things I hadn't foreseen was the proportionally reduced fiddle yard width compared to its 4mm predecessor meant handling stock was a little more difficult. An upside identified was because the upper level arches were higher than Peafore Yard I could actually store a cassette with wagons under the upper level fiddle yard deck(the space occupied by the  box in the photo below). Due to the length of the upper scenic section the fiddle yard deck did not need to be any longer than the DMU so I only built it 40% of the length of the board:

20220514_094105.jpg.9f8a4f374e553fdd878b7592cdcfd558.jpg

While at SWAG I discussed with Alan the merits of extending the upper deck all the way to the end of the fiddle yard so 2 cassettes could be stored on it with 2 underneath so today I set too with the saw and made an extension 

20220514_100705.jpg.5d443f8e01f76e35bc2523b25b013d6f.jpg

I left the original end stop in place to save work and added some brackets to support the ply. As the rails are only just below the end board of the layout I was worried about wagons rolling off so a removable piece of card was installed and tested by a couple of the Presflos which are having some paint modifications prior to lettering 

20220514_100711.jpg.3fab52b4f3af5389243739d9924e4410.jpg

In other news, following on from Phil Parker taking the photos of the layout at SWAG it is looking like Peasevern Yard will be appearing in the July edition of BRM, having seen the draft article I can't wait!

• Like 15

Further Presflo progress, I have fitted the transfers to the 3 un-numbered one I bought. For 2 of them I needed to.paint the area behind the number yellow, thankfully the transfers included were for wagons pictured in Paul Bartlett's website.

20220515_152039.jpg.b5c469306c7736c330b79c7567d32cc2.jpg

• Like 11