Peasevern Yard - 7mm BR Blue shunting layout

• RMweb Gold

You can’t beat laying out paper templates to gauge sizes - it’s also less expensive to shift things around once laid and ballasted ;)

Know what you men about size of the turnouts too...I was quite shocked once I completed my first C+L 7mm turnout :swoon:

Nice collection of stock you are accumulating there Rob...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bcnPete said:

You can’t beat laying out paper templates to gauge sizes - it’s also less expensive to shift things around once laid and ballasted ;)

Know what you men about size of the turnouts too...I was quite shocked once I completed my first C+L 7mm turnout :swoon:

Thanks Pete. These are technically Peco medium radius points so not as big as the C&L but big enough.

Rolling stock wise the following is high on the list:

2 more tanks

1 x 20t Brake van

A Heljan green 03 so I can do 03382, these are due out soon so could be an expensive month..

Longer term plan is to get one of the Heljan split box class 37s as well as a few Presflos but the latter seem to be eye wateringly expensive so will probably be a few years away...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcnPete said:

Thanks Pete. These are technically Peco medium radius points so not as big as the C&L but big enough.

Rolling stock wise the following is high on the list:

2 more tanks

1 x 20t Brake van

A Heljan green 03 so I can do 03382, these are due out soon so could be an expensive month..

Longer term plan is to get one of the Heljan split box class 37s as well as a few Presflos but the latter seem to be eye wateringly expensive so will probably be a few years away...

• Like 5

One of the things I was mulling over on post 25 was moving the scrap yard to the front of the layout, a feature I enjoyed modelling on Peafore Yard. One of the talking point was a MK1 transit flatbed lorry delivering a scrap Austin A35, so fancied doing something similar again. While models of MK1 (and MK2) transits can be found in 1:43 they are of the van variety so an alternative was required.

As I was growing up I recall most of the lorries carrying scrap cars tended to be a Ford D series or Bedford TK often fitted with a crane used to pile cars on top of another as per the shot in this link below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/87197384@N07/8005685068/in/photolist-aBKS1y-6dRHBJ-7KDDRT-9aYfj5-CtW4CS-BX3kwj-dUhVpn-EPUFuz-6hHjVv-USn1MV-9aVcQB-9kSyE6-auDVzT-9aV2Kc-bCY6MH-9mcZq7-7LEH22-daBrWx-wqeHce-9YNrvq-ofG2Qi-QAexM3-apcGvw-oHw5ES-GqpkUs-27Hv6as-j2RNv1-nFJY3H-dcrefU-64dShr-VfE4t5-99Yyxu-537mGv-e1qJ4W-6s8d2k-q4NXtb-7QxZ5v-qmcaFR-oxoQXy-934cQ1-99YAah-99YkqN-99Vsz2-99Vt5i-dKwNSG-x8FLb3-99YABA-8KKiry-8KKirs-HPxEHT

The lorry in the photo is a 7.5t version but bigger 17t versions were also prevalent, and the crane provides a nice scratchbuild opportunity. While 00 gauge modellers are spoilt for choice with numerous diecast lorries of the correct scale, larger HGV models from the 70'ssuitable for 0 gauge are hard to find with Corgi being the smaller 1:50 scale which is a compromise I wasn't prepared to make, especially as the lorry will likely be at the front of the layout. Thankfully I had read on Giles' thread about the existence of a 1:43 Bedford TK made by a company called IXO but are also badged Altaya in both Artic and rigid version. After a few weeks ebay hunting a suitable donor was found in France:

thumbnail_20191118_202444.jpg.20e3a1c121fbf71dc4a656b9c85fb29b.jpg

The body obviously had to go but on unscrewing the body it is in 2 parts and the base is actually useable:

thumbnail_20191118_202505.jpg.879597e8116a2e93314c8cf920a72d37.jpg

To allow room for the crane at the front, the bed was cut down just in front of the (now redundant) screw hole. All the other body retaining clips were filed off the bed and it temporarily put back in place.

thumbnail_20191118_203522.jpg.d8be99a91eceff223d3aa7219a87788c.jpg

The overhang behind the rear axle looks a tad on the long side as if the chassis has been stretched to fit the body from a longer trailer so may get cut down further. I am scouting out for a couple of cheap diecast cars as these will be needed to help position the crane arm before I go too far with the crane build, I will also scratch build some low dropsides for the load bed. A partial repaint is planned, the current scheme being far too bright for my needs!

Edited by 37114
pictures
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Although not much progress on the layout itself, I have made some progress with the Bedford.:

The first thing to face into was the fact the model was left hand drive which was something I hadn't picked up when buying the model as I think the artic version IXO make is right hand drive. To add to the hassle the Bedford has a dual passenger seat so the seats needed swapping over as well as the dashboard.

thumbnail_20191124_131658.jpg.1a855945ff30ba658b05001a013c6ac5.jpg

The rather garish red paint had to go on the chassis and wheels, looking at photos of TK's, the cab wings also tended to be a different colour to the cab so those and the headlight panel were painted black. I sprayed the chassis as I had some black spray paint cans in stock albeit gloss, while I brush painted the mud guards.

thumbnail_20191201_063744.jpg.01d0d8c8f0fa3ea21e0db7d5d5dc7d41.jpgthumbnail_20191201_070932.jpg.0ddf72702479d8f4bd4ddaad2feb6a3a.jpg

While I have been spraying the chassis I made a start on the crane which is being scratchbuilt,.I have made the legs and the base so far but need some cars before going too far as the arm of the crane will rest on top of the cars. The first victim has arrived but will need some work before being fixed to the lorry bed. I also need to make up some drop sides as well.

thumbnail_20191201_070945.jpg.fb642f0f76e6c04fe638140aa971c528.jpgthumbnail_20191201_071000.jpg.d5e90a1800ecde16db8c7be78ca6ae1f.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

7 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Cracking work on the Bedford Rob, not a design I was ever keen on but perfect for the era and lovely attention to detail with the conversion

Jo

Thanks Jo, they were pretty bullet proof but the cab was very uncomfortable for anyone over 5'9" tall....

• 2 weeks later...

I finally ordered my track today, the sale of some 00 gauge locos has provided enough funds for the on order class 03 and the track for the layout so hope to make some progress on the layout properly after Xmas,

In the meantime I have been cracking on with the Bedford TK. I had been dreading making the iron work for the hinges/retaining brackets on the dropside but noticed that Giles has made some nice ones from acrylic for his BMC FG tipper lorry so he kindly sold me some sets to do my dropsides. One of the things I am discovering/enjoying with O gauge is being able to add more detail like this and as per the prototype the sides are made from individual panels, with around 40 different parts being used to make the rear body of the lorry.

First off I fitted some side rails from thin plastic strip and a headboard:

thumbnail_20191213_194516.jpg.ea21f6fcd094d3177860ca684ecd2fa2.jpg

Next I fitted the uprights which the drop sides clip onto. The sides themselves are individual slats made out of plasticard.

thumbnail_20191213_200640.jpg.d9fe4e0953c88b6a9a42ad04d25d15bc.jpg

Once the slats were complete I added the end hinges. There are 2 different types so the side could be removed when hinged down so the lorry can carry an overwidth load.

thumbnail_20191213_201756.jpg.ce148a96ad814f13c705f7dc65a467c9.jpg

I debated whether to add 1 or 2 central hinges for each side but having looked at a few photos went for 1 in the end.

thumbnail_20191213_202854.jpg.89a5981f5d0fe4c98dd1292e5ff91f74.jpg

Test fit with some cars, both picked up cheaply of ebay with some damage on them, they will be further distressed.

thumbnail_20191213_203216.jpg.cfcad1b78db4743aef21c13f5865c601.jpg

The body has been primed since the photo was taken and I can now crack on with the crane

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Track has arrived but due to children's carol's services and FGW class 800's doing their best to delay my arrival home last night I haven't had a chance to lay it out on the board. 

Over the weekend I started the process of distressing the cars. The white mini was quite battered anyway so this is going into the scrap yard itself with the bonnet etc removed to show an empty engine bay and another more complete mini is going onto the lorry.

With the Ford Anglia I wanted to show a model where some stripping of components had taken place at the front end on the premise that the car had failed the MOT and was being repaired before the owner gave up on it as the work required was too extensive. I focused on removing the front axle components so I could show the springs which was based on photos on flickr of dead anglia's:

thumbnail_20191215_071439.jpg.e5c3f4b6e43e5538053dc14f482b5301.jpg

The springs are from 4mm 3 link couplings, while the wishbones are old brake hangers from a southern pride 4mm kit. Car back in one piece:

thumbnail_20191215_072512.jpg.1e86f1f7893d9d0080f0b7c7622173ff.jpg

I have started some weathering, much more to do and I went slightly less heavy on the other side with the rust

thumbnail_20191215_163553.jpg.783b3e3bdc06181c8a0ace5d40184d57.jpg

I did make some progress with the TK on Tuesday night and made a start on scratchbuilding the crane. It is difficult to get good clear pictures of a period truck mounted crane, but I have worked from the one in the picture linked earlier in this thread. I used a mix of different thickness plasticard and beams to produce the initial frame. The pivot and hydraulic mounting points are slithers of plastic rod, these await further attention with a file to ensure they are a consistent depth.

TK1.jpg.3b1b50e7c073f259d04e98d7cf62656b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Track has arrived but due to children's carol's services and FGW class 800's doing their best to delay my arrival home last night I haven't had a chance to lay it out on the board. 

Over the weekend I started the process of distressing the cars. The white mini was quite battered anyway so this is going into the scrap yard itself with the bonnet etc removed to show an empty engine bay and another more complete mini is going onto the lorry.

With the Ford Anglia I wanted to show a model where some stripping of components had taken place at the front end on the premise that the car had failed the MOT and was being repaired before the owner gave up on it as the work required was too extensive. I focused on removing the front axle components so I could show the springs which was based on photos on flickr of dead anglia's:

thumbnail_20191215_071439.jpg.e5c3f4b6e43e5538053dc14f482b5301.jpg

The springs are from 4mm 3 link couplings, while the wishbones are old brake hangers from a southern pride 4mm kit. Car back in one piece:

thumbnail_20191215_072512.jpg.1e86f1f7893d9d0080f0b7c7622173ff.jpg

I have started some weathering, much more to do and I went slightly less heavy on the other side with the rust

thumbnail_20191215_163553.jpg.783b3e3bdc06181c8a0ace5d40184d57.jpg

I did make some progress with the TK on Tuesday night and made a start on scratchbuilding the crane. It is difficult to get good clear pictures of a period truck mounted crane, but I have worked from the one in the picture linked earlier in this thread. I used a mix of different thickness plasticard and beams to produce the initial frame. The pivot and hydraulic mounting points are slithers of plastic rod, these await further attention with a file to ensure they are a consistent depth.

TK1.jpg.3b1b50e7c073f259d04e98d7cf62656b.jpg

Great work Rob.

You feature 2 cars that my wife and I have owned, does that say something about our taste?

A small gripe re the 105e they would in all probability show signes of rust in a vertical

line between the door front and wheel arch, before bit being visible externally along

the sills. A real characteristic of the Anglia, but boy would I like one now!

All the best, and seasons greetings

TONY

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Great work Rob.

You feature 2 cars that my wife and I have owned, does that say something about our taste?

A small gripe re the 105e they would in all probability show signes of rust in a vertical

line between the door front and wheel arch, before bit being visible externally along

the sills. A real characteristic of the Anglia, but boy would I like one now!

All the best, and seasons greetings

TONY

Thanks Tony, I will have a look and add it in.

I love the lorry, very nicely crafted and the IXO TK is arguably the best model of that type produced in any scale, I’d venture to say much better than the  1:1 version which GM produced and in my experience left an awful lot to be desired. IXO also do a very nice Bedford TJ.

Don’t Ignore the Dinky super toy range, the Ergo cab Leyland Octopus could be made very pretty and if you’re handy with a hacksaw, it has numerous possibilities for other Leyland/ AEC/ Albion variants. Even the short Ford D Series is very close to scale and is a very nicely proportioned  model.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RANGERS said:

I love the lorry, very nicely crafted and the IXO TK is arguably the best model of that type produced in any scale, I’d venture to say much better than the  1:1 version which GM produced and in my experience left an awful lot to be desired. IXO also do a very nice Bedford TJ.

Don’t Ignore the Dinky super toy range, the Ergo cab Leyland Octopus could be made very pretty and if you’re handy with a hacksaw, it has numerous possibilities for other Leyland/ AEC/ Albion variants. Even the short Ford D Series is very close to scale and is a very nicely proportioned  model.

Thanks Rangers, I agree re the IXO TK, it looks spot on especially in the rigid variant. 

I really only have space for one lorry so will need to resist other temptations, I did a nice Leyland FG scaffold lorry on Pallet Lane so was impressed to see the work Giles has done and I might have a bash at that for a future layout.

Re the dinky range I am eyeing the coles crane which looks like it could scrub up well and can be had cheaply,  the attraction is I had a 4mm version on Peafore Yard so is  a nice link to the past.

So some proper layout progress tonight.... My good lady had ventured up to the pub with some friends so muggins wasn't going to waste the opportunity to play with some track. I was conscious that my templates were slightly underside so these were removed and the board flipped over to give a clean sheet of paper.

The first piece of track to determine was the middle of the 3 roads to the left of the layout which has to be at least 450mm long to allow a class 37 into the head shunt for the run round loop. The 3 points were laid from there with the rear most siding needing to be at least long enough for 3 16t minerals plus the 08 or 3 molasses tanker without the 08 (the tankers are proving hard to get hold of though). The rest of the run round loop was then made up, at this stage I only wanted to cut one length of plain track hence why one of the pieces of track doesn't quite reach the edge of the board.

thumbnail_20191223_210358.jpg.910640ea89f0603c37cada56377e9bbe.jpg 

With some track down I couldn't resist the opportunity to test out my 08, the only controller I had to hand being an ex Hornby trainset 3 stage controller (a Gaugemaster 100mO being hidden under the Xmas tree for a few days) so I was dubious if it would be up to the job but the 08 ran smoothly. To be honest it was like being reunited with an old school friend, the layout ran perfectly but it also took me back to 2014 and the first run of Peafore Yard. P4Y was always a great layout to play with and I was instantly hooked on this layout. In the longer term I may go DCC as all of the locos will have lights and I think sound will be amazing at this size but for now DC will suffice.thumbnail_20191223_210556.jpg.85a6e5ae32e98227ea6d3abc40458a9b.jpgthumbnail_20191223_211057.jpg.0a5240c686129ae615b38f44defd4f4a.jpgthumbnail_20191223_211938.jpg.3bf8c2cdb01bab6a8f751b16e357585d.jpg

The other day I found myself reading a recent copy of MRJ which in addition has an article about "Midland in Bristol" layout, which is set on the same area of Bristol. Although a completely different era to mine I was hooked as I believe great modelling goes way beyond the era I chose to model and thus have studied the photos a lot. I was blown away by how much has been created in a scene not much bigger than the space I have. One of the things that struck me is how having the railway arches at the back at a slight angle to the backscene at one side with warehouses on the other made the layout seem so much bigger and screams Avonside.

I was aware from the photos above that because of how I had positioned my track plan, the arches would be flat against the backscene, while the rearmost siding would have very little space around it to model any unloading area, while the scrapyard was also slightly restricted in it's space So a minor tweak was made that I think transforms the layout; rather than having the fiddle yard exit at 90 degress to the board end I twisted the track towards the front. Due to a bizarre access requirement, one end of the layout has to be cut at an angle to get it out of the garage and into the house. Rather than angle the non fiddle yard end, putting this angle at the fiddle yard means the rearmost siding is against the edge of the layout so the unloading area is off stage. A large building will occupy the corner with a canopy over the tanks (where the 08 is below). 

thumbnail_20191223_213359.jpg.2323d4350d5ef30ff80acb501039fc97.jpg

At the other end this has a double bonus. Not only are the arches not flat to the backscene, I can accommodate a very short part of the high level track that is ostensibly the edge of Temple Meads. This means that I can add vital height to the layout and if I am lucky a Bubble car can fit in the corner.

thumbnail_20191223_213344.jpg.16475cdf6befcc57d229e2d8c8ac25f7.jpg

The photo below shows how it worked on P4Y:

DSCN2559v1.jpg.78a287736febd61184d35c17783bcba6.jpg

Can't wait to make the board and get it all nailed down!

Edited by 37114
typo
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On the subject of the load on the TK. Are you going to put a big dent in the roof of the Anglia where the crane jib sits. This was a common sight to hold the load down.

Keith

Ps drove TKs around Gatwick was helping baggage loaders. These where used to offload aircraft. All being over 7.5 tons but did not have to have an HGV as not on the public road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

On the subject of the load on the TK. Are you going to put a big dent in the roof of the Anglia where the crane jib sits. This was a common sight to hold the load down.

Keith

Ps drove TKs around Gatwick was helping baggage loaders. These where used to offload aircraft. All being over 7.5 tons but did not have to have an HGV as not on the public road.

Hi Keith, I will have a look at what can be possible, based on some butchery of a mini the diecast is pretty thick and I am not sure how easy it will be to crease convincingly.

• RMweb Gold

Looks great Rob - demonstrates why it is good to lay down track and test fits prior to committing with glue and ballast.

I would agree that DCC and sound will add another dimension to it too :yes:

Must stop looking at 7mm sound chipped LL 37’s this end...so tempting :swoon:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bcnPete said:

Looks great Rob - demonstrates why it is good to lay down track and test fits prior to committing with glue and ballast.

I would agree that DCC and sound will add another dimension to it too :yes:

Must stop looking at 7mm sound chipped LL 37’s this end...so tempting :swoon:

Thanks Pete. I am sure that when I hear an O gauge sound 37 I will be hooked...

• Like 2