'International Train-Ferry Wagons' by David Ratcliffe

Fat Controller

The latest book in the ongoing series of photograph albums with extended captions, published by Ian Allan, is now available. David Ratcliffe, who already has an album on 'domestic' modern private-owner wagons in the series, has done a complementary volume on their internationally-registered brethren.

The vehicles covered are those that might be seen in the UK from the mid-1970s onwards, so there are no shots of the apex-roofed FS vans, for example. However, the vehicles covered are dealt with in some detail, with only three, and quite often only two photos per page. Captions include build details and also some details of typical traffic conveyed by these vehicles- information which has hitherto been somewhat thin on the ground, and often merely anecdotal.

Useful material includes some seven pages on the various Polybulks, and some thirt-four of the various tank-wagon types. Those waiting for the Dapol 'Silver Bullets' will find no less than seven pages of photos of the various slurry tanks.

Some may complain at the price of ??16.99, but the quality of reproduction, the photos themselves, and the informative text, mean that this is money well spent.

Brian

Some may complain at the price of ??16.99, but the quality of reproduction, the photos themselves, and the informative text, mean that this is money well spent.Brian

I wouldn't complain at the price - but will have to wait until someone produces a similar book covering the Nationalisation - mid-70s period !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'm with John, although I'd like it to go right back to 1924 ideally. Brian's post confirms my suspicions about the period covered after an initial excitement when I saw it publicised.

I should add that quite a few of the wagons- particularily tanks- do date back as far as far as the 1950s. If anyone's got any photos and gen on the older vehicles, I'm sure Ian Allan would be interested......

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Always interesting to get feedback on ones efforts.

The contents reflects the period when I was actively going out taking wagon photos; that is from the early/mid 1980's until a year or so ago, although many of the vehicles illustrated were built in the 1950's and 1960's. The lack of pics of 'small ferry vans', which was alluded to above, was down to a lack of decent colour shots.

Bringing together suitable photos, wagon details, and above all traffic info, is the main challenge in producing such titles and all the traffic details are taken from either official BR sources or personal observation.

David R

My comments were in no way intended to denigrate your efforts, David - it's nice to see someone with similar interests making the effort to bring together what you've published. It just so happens that my personal interest doesn't quite overlap with your book. I've spent quite some time researching the earlier stock for my own modelling purposes and although the information is out there it's hard work getting it all together. Traffic information is something I don't have a great deal of and wouldn't have much idea of where to start on.

The photographs are there although locating copyright holders might be more of a challenge. I've dredged most of mine up from the web and the help of various contributors on this site.

Always interesting to get feedback on ones efforts.

The contents reflects the period when I was actively going out taking wagon photos; that is from the early/mid 1980's until a year or so ago, although many of the vehicles illustrated were built in the 1950's and 1960's. The lack of pics of 'small ferry vans', which was alluded to above, was down to a lack of decent colour shots.

Bringing together suitable photos, wagon details, and above all traffic info, is the main challenge in producing such titles and all the traffic details are taken from either official BR sources or personal observation.

David R

David,

I am sure that none of the postings here were intended to convey criticism; simply that published material on ferry wagons is rare as hens' teeth and those of us who model an earlier period had initially hoped that something more specific to our chosen era was in prospect.

I have no doubt that many of us will purchase the book, nonetheless. Personally, I'll look out for a copy and have a browse before committing to a purchase.

Be assured, any efforts in this sphere of interest are appreciated.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers

Archived