The Hornby Ruston can do what?!?!?!

“Fun, though? I'm not sure that I equate my railway modelling with fun”

That is a ‘cut out and keep’ line.

But, I respect your position on the subject, and the sentiments you expressed above.

Kevin

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

“Fun, though? I'm not sure that I equate my railway modelling with fun”

That is a ‘cut out and keep’ line.

But, I respect your position on the subject, and the sentiments you expressed above.

Kevin

I suppose it depends what you understand by 'fun' - as opposed to enjoyment.

For me, 'fun' is harmless, but ultimately pointless, amusement; with little or no purpose other than immediate gratification.

Railway modelling always has, for me, an ultimate purpose - that of engendering pleasure, and a sense of achievement, in overcoming challenges to produce a model which represents a prototype.

So, no - my railway modelling isn't 'fun'; but it is enjoyable and results in a sense of satisfaction.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've seen N Gauge "layouts" on a 3" CD, which like the one above are simple circles of track. They don't appeal to me at all. Building a model of a model would work better - making it look like a circle of tin-plate track on the carpet for example.

Much more interesting is to forget about continuous runs and use a sector plate - see the Squarefoot Estate Railway for a wonderfull example of what can be done in a very small space.

Steven B.

I recall an O gauge layout many years ago named "Polo Works" (I think?), which was similarly a tiny circle of track with a diesel shunter. With that, the scenic treatment was a factory complex, with the circle passing in and out of buildings. It was quite effective.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

A word of caution:

The loco may well go round such a tight curve on its own - but the moment you try to couple it to anything , using any coupling known to man - you're in trouble.

I found that medium length kadees would actually manage them! I used the standard nem pocket and a chopped down Hornby lowmac and it managed it surprisingly. Otherwise a piece of wire would work.

• 2 months later...
On 12/01/2020 at 19:51, luke the train spotter said:

So this loop of track was passed onto my good friend Oliver Rowley to see what he could do with it. The result is in his fantastic YouTube video documenting the build. Definitely check him out he’s a fantastic industrial modeller in oo and 009. 

He does have a proper annoying voice though

• Funny 1