Coal delivery for factory boiler

spikey

17 hours ago, Luke Piewalker said:

The opportunity for big round cartoon bombs with fuses and 'bomb' written on them, the aforementioned ACME anvils, large red sticks of dynamite with 'dynamite' written on them, large trapezoid weights with a big ring on top and the weight in tons clearly marked... And obviously fake tunnel paint.

The temptation is almost too much to bear :blink:

A factory I worked at in the 60's received a couple of 21ton hoppers of coal per week. There were below track bunkers close to the boiler house. these were covered with metal grids to prevent anyone falling in. During the winter the coal loads were often frozen into the wagons so they were parked next to the boiler house so the heat escaping would thaw them out. Simple and effective and easy to model.

• Informative/Useful 1

Not so daft.

There are photos around of those big spherical sea mines being shifted about, two to an open wagon, which looks exactly like your ACME bombs.

Also, photos of factories with coal stockpiled on every spare square foot of ground, presumably at the end of the summer ‘cheap buying’ season.

17 hours ago, Aire Head said:

See now you've said that I want to model it all as wagon loads 

It's certainly made me seriously consider it as a theme for an unlikely to ever happen 0-27 Timesaver :D. 

• Funny 1

This shot of of the United Dairies creamery at Moreton-in-the-Marsh shows a fairly typical arrangement with coal piled outside the boiler house. I imagine it would have been carried in mandraulically (possibly a barrow).

gwrmm977.jpg

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

This shot of of the United Dairies creamery at Moreton-in-the-Marsh shows a fairly typical arrangement with coal piled outside the boiler house. I imagine it would have been carried in mandraulically (possibly a barrow).

gwrmm977.jpg

Possibly shoveled out of the end door?

21 minutes ago, doilum said:

There's a bit much there for one wagon full:  I'm not sure, either, that anyone would rely on opening a heavy, top-hinged, end-door (which might have been on the 'wrong' end) to access the load.

I wonder what that 16-tonner is doing beneath the open first-floor door?

• Agree 1

On 02/11/2019 at 09:16, Fat Controller said:

There's a bit much there for one wagon full:  I'm not sure, either, that anyone would rely on opening a heavy, top-hinged, end-door (which might have been on the 'wrong' end) to access the load.

I wonder what that 16-tonner is doing beneath the open first-floor door?

I can't imagine there being much apart from coal that would go in such a truck. Coal was the principle incoming flow to such dairies. Other deliverables such as cleaning chemicals would have been in much smaller quantities and certainly not the sort of stuff you could carry in an open wagon.

Just now, Karhedron said:

I can't imagine there being much apart from coal that would go in such a truck. Coal was the principle incoming flow to such dairies. Other deliverables such as cleaning chemicals would have been in much smaller quantities and certainly not the sort of stuff you could carry in an open wagon.

I was thinking more in terms of stuff coming out, such as demolition waste.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I was thinking more in terms of stuff coming out, such as demolition waste.

Ah, I see. I guess that is a possibility. One minor observation is that the door on the upper floor seems to be open in that photograph. Possibly something was being removed at the time. Sadly it is just one photo and not even dated so it is hard to work out what is going on.

On 02/11/2019 at 08:49, doilum said:

There are a couple more photos on the Railways of Warwickshire site which look to have been taken on the same day. These show that the coal is actually next to the line rather than on it so it was probably not unloaded via the end door. The perspective of the first photo is a bit misleading.

gwrmm995.jpg

gwrmm1000.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

On 04/11/2019 at 14:02, Karhedron said:

Ah, I see. I guess that is a possibility. One minor observation is that the door on the upper floor seems to be open in that photograph. Possibly something was being removed at the time. Sadly it is just one photo and not even dated so it is hard to work out what is going on.

There are a couple more photos on the Railways of Warwickshire site which look to have been taken on the same day. These show that the coal is actually next to the line rather than on it so it was probably not unloaded via the end door. The perspective of the first photo is a bit misleading.

gwrmm995.jpg

gwrmm1000.jpg

Looking at these pics I doubt they're the same day as the previous one...

The coal heap appears to be much smaller, the heap in the previous one would be obscuring the view of the doors behind in the lower view.

In this view, the coal heap and the open doors behind, it appears that the coal was simply unloaded on the ground outside the boilerhouse doors.

Also, particularly in the upper view, the tank sitting on the loading dock platform in the previous view's missing. The sleepers it's been resting on can still be seen.

• Like 1