Rustons Sidings.

sb67

• RMweb Gold

I've had the crayons out. Before I ate them, I came up with this. 

Scenify  the area of the sector plate, do away with the house and add trees, lots of trees, inside the sector plate area, along the backscene, around the engine shed and a few at the front to block the view from the front into the sector plate area....

Rob. 

20191108_160041.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I'm liking the idea of a road bridge, would this be the entrance to the fiddle yard?

Chris

Yep Chris, that would be the entrance to the sector plate fiddle yard.

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I've had the crayons out. Before I ate them, I came up with this.

Rob. 

I like that Rob, that is how I see the road bridge. I've had a 'request' to have some plants involved hence the house which would have a garden or veg patch, but I'm wondering about some allotments on the rear left hand corner. 

What did you use to draw that by the way?

1 hour ago, 47137 said:

I suggest a tank farm as the view blocker behind the engine shed. If you put a mirror behind this, the installation would look twice as big. I like the interpretation by Rob (NHY 581), but I'd choose something less natural, more man-made.

- Richard.

That's another good idea, a tank farm would suggest. Some sort of industry there.

I need to work out where the sector plate will go exactly, I was going work out the length of it then if I put some string the same length, a pen on one end and pin it where the pivot point would be then I can mark out the arc, not sure  if that's right?

Steve.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Have a think about whether the two tracks going under the bridge would look best parallel with each other or pointing towards each other. This will decide whether you want a sector plate or a traverser.

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, sb67 said:

I like that Rob, that is how I see the road bridge. I've had a 'request' to have some plants involved hence the house which would have a garden or veg patch, but I'm wondering about some allotments on the rear left hand corner. 

What did you use to draw that by the way?

Steve.

Hi Steve. 

It was the 'pen thingy' on my phone. Useful for stuff such as this to play around with. 

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1593501069_Mockup1.jpg.034cd7ae5b0df98991d65c4afdda1b71.jpg

Thanks Rob found something on my laptop, sure I could have used it better though! :) I kind of like this, the road on an embankment a gated path/track in the middle and some trees behind the road. Either the house or some allotments in the corner. I've got to try and fit a water tower somewhere and a coal stage would be in front of the embankment near the loco shed.

11 hours ago, 47137 said:

Have a think about whether the two tracks going under the bridge would look best parallel with each other or pointing towards each other. This will decide whether you want a sector plate or a traverser.

- Richard.

I think I'll go for a sector plate Richard with the tracks pointing towards each other.

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There might be room for a third track off the sector plate, going underneath the allotments. This would make space for some wagons, and reduce handling of the stock. The allotments would then be above and behind a retaining wall.

- Richard.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 47137 said:

There might be room for a third track off the sector plate, going underneath the allotments. This would make space for some wagons, and reduce handling of the stock. The allotments would then be above and behind a retaining wall.

- Richard.

I did think of that Richard but I wasn't sure I wanted the allotments that high, also the layout will be operated from the front so I cant hide the sector plate too much.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi Steve,

Only just found your blog. Looks like an exciting time ahead!! I love the start of layout building!!!

You mentioned the technique of getting the arc of the sector plate. The string and pencil is the way i did it and seems to work fine. Are you going for pin and tube this time?

As the for the "request" for plants...weeds in the tracks should be the order of the day. :-)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2019 at 15:22, sb67 said:

I did think of that Richard but I wasn't sure I wanted the allotments that high, also the layout will be operated from the front so I cant hide the sector plate too much.

Steve.

I agree with you Steve

As much as I don’t like to disagree with other members more knowledgeable than myself my personal opinion would be to leave out a third track, a “less is more” kinda thing

But that’s just a personal opinion :)

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 1

With my layouts, I've tended to build the sector plate first and then lay the running tracks afterwards.

Whether this is the 'correct' method I dunno but the 5 layouts I've built this way all work(ed).

steve

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, westernviscount said:

Hi Steve,

Only just found your blog. Looks like an exciting time ahead!! I love the start of layout building!!!

You mentioned the technique of getting the arc of the sector plate. The string and pencil is the way i did it and seems to work fine. Are you going for pin and tube this time?

As the for the "request" for plants...weeds in the tracks should be the order of the day. :-)

Thanks David,

I'm actually getting a buzz for the layout which is unusual for me, although it's still not a layout I can run my blue diesels on! I've just sold all my vinyl records I had which has given me a whole playroom now! So everything was put away for a bit but hopefully I can get on with it again now,

I haven't thought about the operation of the sector plate too much yet, the layout will be operated from the front and I was impressed with a use of a window opener used on a Dave Tailby layout, so I might look at something like that.

10 hours ago, steve1 said:

With my layouts, I've tended to build the sector plate first and then lay the running tracks afterwards.

Whether this is the 'correct' method I dunno but the 5 layouts I've built this way all work(ed).

steve

Thanks Steve,

kind of what I was going to was to use a pencil on a string as mentioned above to mark the arc out based on the length of the fiddle yard. Then presumably I can put the running tracks down based on where I want them to go? 

Steve.

• Like 1

Done the sector pate and after a bit of planning I've realised I haven't got quite as much space as I'd like so the loco shed might just have to be coal and water facilities, I'd like a bridge and embankment rather than a retaining wall on the fiddle yard exit. 

I also cut my bit's of track into sections as I thought an industrial line would be unlikely to have long continuous lengths of track and if gives me a chance to try a few wonky joints etc.

78418160_1074538232894061_8773177864150319104_n.jpg.d120fc984d5b098357c3f465a9199f04.jpg

Steve.

• Like 3

• sb67 changed the title to Rustons sidings
  • RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Done the sector pate and after a bit of planning I've realised I haven't got quite as much space as I'd like so the loco shed might just have to be coal and water facilities, I'd like a bridge and embankment rather than a retaining wall on the fiddle yard exit. 

I also cut my bit's of track into sections as I thought an industrial line would be unlikely to have long continuous lengths of track and if gives me a chance to try a few wonky joints etc.

78418160_1074538232894061_8773177864150319104_n.jpg.d120fc984d5b098357c3f465a9199f04.jpg

Steve.

It's a shame you haven't got room for the loco shed, although have you considered having a low relief shed with just half of it on the layout......or is it the width thats the problem

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell

It is the width, as I didn't want a retaining wall and embankment will take up a bit more room. I will have a play with some ideas when the track is laid however. One idea I had was just loads of trees and bushes hiding the sector plate but not sure how that would look plus I planned to leave the left hand end open so I can view the layout end on. That means I will have to hide the fiddle yard exit as much as I can.

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

It is the width, as I didn't want a retaining wall and embankment will take up a bit more room. I will have a play with some ideas when the track is laid however. One idea I had was just loads of trees and bushes hiding the sector plate but not sure how that would look plus I planned to leave the left hand end open so I can view the layout end on. That means I will have to hide the fiddle yard exit as much as I can.

Steve

I’m sure you’ll come up with something clever

14 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m sure you’ll come up with something clever

Thanks Chris, if I cant fit the shed in I was looking at a coal stage and water crane with a water tank slowly rotting away somewhere in the background.

Steve.

• Like 2

On 19/11/2019 at 06:58, jamest said:

Hi Steve,

This is developing into a nice little layout - I'm looking forward to seeing it take shape.

Regards,

James

Thanks James, doing a bit of track laying now but trying to decide how to operate my points! 

Steve

1 hour ago, jbmccarthy said:

Sorry if this is a silly question. If the sector plate is on the table top, how do you get the track on the layout flush with the track on the sector plate? Also is the sector plate connected by a bolt at one end allowing it to turn?

Not a silly question at all! 

The sector plate is on a strip of ply that sit's on top of the baseboard and pivots on a screw at one end. The rest of the track is laid on cork tiles which bring the level up to the sector plate. As there's only one track on it I've just put stop blocks so when it's pushed in either direction it lines up with the tracks. 

Hope that make sense, I've posted a pic which might help.

76710814_1409491862542085_8138611053350092800_n.jpg.f5266c9b021d9b375cb2d062884c9597.jpg

Steve.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

16 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Not a silly question at all! 

The sector plate is on a strip of ply that sit's on top of the baseboard and pivots on a screw at one end. The rest of the track is laid on cork tiles which bring the level up to the sector plate. As there's only one track on it I've just put stop blocks so when it's pushed in either direction it lines up with the tracks. 

Hope that make sense, I've posted a pic which might help.

76710814_1409491862542085_8138611053350092800_n.jpg.f5266c9b021d9b375cb2d062884c9597.jpg

Steve.

Thanks for answering this. I very new to all this still, so not sure what is what. The sector plate from this angle really clears things up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jbmccarthy said:

Thanks for answering this. I very new to all this still, so not sure what is what. The sector plate from this angle really clears things up.

You're welcome, there's many ways of building them and on a small layout they can be great space savers.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2