Rustons Sidings.

sb67

With Pecketts Wharf sort of finished and having been Inspired by so much stuff I've read on here lately AND having a few industrial locos, I thought it was time to start something else. I've so many ideas but I was thinking of a place at the end of some sort of industrial railway, with a couple of overgrown sidings, to shunt a few wagons, a small steam loco shed and a flat area to load/unload stuff or refuel any diesels via a road tanker. 

I'd like the period to be anything from the 50's through to the end of industrial steam, around the 70's (I think) and not really industry specific so I can model and run some different wagons.

I've a couple of ready made boards one around 3ft x 17 inches the other an IKEA shelf 4ft x 1ft, no sure what to use at the moment. I've a simple, well used plan in mind and some ideas as to how I want it to look so hopefully it wont take too long to get going. 

I've been thinking about it for ages so hopefully posting something on here will give me the kick I need to start!

Many thanks for reading.

Steve.

• Like 10

1427175859_Industrialyard.jpg.a08a88868f738b7098a7ecd29d31a573.jpg

Here's the plan I've got. The Loco shed will be the view blocker and the House/Allotments or other scenic bit on a slight embankment maybe. Refuelling or unloading will just be tarmac or hard ground. I'm not sure if it will all get on my boards at the moment, the IKEA shelf is a bit under 12 inches wide and my other board is only 3ft in length but a bit wider. I might have to lose a siding or build a fiddle yard extension to add to the 3ft board.

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

There is an article on the subject of visual balance in the first issue of 'Scale Trains'. April 1982. Might be helpful because it uses a small loco depot as its illustration, I could send you a scan.

Could I also suggest, you slew the long siding to be closer to the allotments/house, so there is room for vehicles to go into the yard between this siding and the middle siding. You might have just about enough room to use Marcway points instead of Peco - two of his 3' radius points and 3' wye, these will go with Scaleway track and the overall effect will be better than Peco.

If you built the model 15 inches deep instead of 12, there would be room for scenic treatment along the back. I know this technically takes you over the nominal 4 square feet of a micro, but it could make for a better-looking layout.

As you can probably guess, I rather like the look of this plan. I am supposed to be finishing my own layout this winter, but I could get distracted with something like this.

- Richard.

• Like 1

Thanks Richard, that article sound interesting, it would be good to read it.  I was initially thinking of some sidings where wagons are stored/sorted so didn't plan on any space between the sidings but that would add some more interest and if I used a wider board I could do that.  I need to plan on the boards now as the Lack shelf, although longer and would have the fiddle yard all on one board, is a bit narrower so might limit the scenery. My other board which is a bit wider, is only 3ft long so would need a fiddle yard added and as my carpentry's not great and I wanted to keep things easy I'm not sure what to do. I would like to have a bit more space to try some scenery as I've only really done factory backs and walls. 

I've also set myself the task of using stuff I've got already so I'm going to stick with my Peco points, I've been inspired by the thread on industrial rack so I'd like to add some dips or wonky bits in the sidings.

Steve.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

You are Ian Futers and I claim my £5.

Big fan of his 3 point layouts, although I'm sure I've heard someone say more than 2 points is an extravagance!

Steve.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

76727098_418286905739745_4997222692600938496_n.jpg.57dc8a2bfad5fddc0e6b600dcbbb4617.jpg

Been planning a bit and this is the first option. The Lack shelf is a tad smaller than expected and if I try and get 3 sidings on it there's not much room for scenery and I would have liked a 0-6-0 loco and 3 wagons ideally. As it is the plan is much the same as a layout called Juniper Road which I like the look of a lot.

I'll see what I can get out of my other board.

Steve.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I do like this plan, it could be the eastern terminus of my home scheme and be a self-contained exhibition layout as well.

I don't know if this will help, but I have made a mock-up using Peco large radius points throughout on a piece of board 5 ft x 1 ft:

P1010337.jpg.706762a290216439ad6f58761a59a51e.jpg

The funny thing is, using large radius points doesn't add much to the length requirement but does help to spread the sidings apart. The piece of strip wood marks off 3 ft 10 in of the length to match the Lack shelf. So it might work with the Lack but as you say, 10 in of width is too tight to have any scenic treatment outside the railway.

If I built this I would think about a single board this size for all of the track, and two additional scenic boards, each about 5 ft x 6 in, one front and one back. This would make a layout 5 ft x 2 ft, much bigger than a micro but the pointwork would be close to scale size. I think you could lose 5 or 6 inches off the length at the right-hand end, but it gets a bit cramped if you lose a whole foot.

- Richard.

• Like 9

That looks ok Richard, I do like the look of the extra siding. As it's industrial I think I'll get away with shorter radius points and I'll probably only use short wheelbase stock as well. Just got to look at the other board I have which is wider.

The plan has been used loads of times, I've never built or operated an inglenook before so that will be interesting.

Steve.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Steve. 

I take it the LACK shelf you are using is the 110 x 26cm. 

If so, this is what I used for the scenic section of Sheep Lane. 

Does the entire layout need to sit on one shelf? 

If a second, shorter shelf is used as a fiddle yard, then it would be possible to have a runaround loop and all sorts of wild stuff on the scenic section.....

As an aside, reassuring to see I'm not the only one going a tad industrial..

Rob. 

• Like 1

Hello Rob,

it amazes me that how ever many times I've looked at Sheep Lane I never realised your 'shelf' was only 26cm wide. I always thought you had a deeper LACK, you've created a spacious feel to it.

How easy were they to put together? I did want to keep it all on one board but that would make my max train length an 0-6-0 and 2 wagons. 

A run round does seem appealing though.

I bet there's more than a few tempted to go industrial, I do like the pics of your Ruston, think I'll put one on my xmas list! 

Steve.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Steve. 

Yep, Sheep Lane is only 26cm wide. 

When I operated it, Sheep Lane was either on the dining table or on long lengths of wood when exhibited. In effect the shelves were always level. 

Therefore all that was needed to hold them together was a pair of catches, as I hope the below photos show. 

If I were to use these shelves again, I would probably use pattern makers dowels to keep the boards aligned.....along with catches. 

Hope this explains it. 

Rob. 

20190809_214205-01.jpeg.43dd365917745432d51cbaf691d99e67.jpeg

1395305399_2016-08-1408_44_33.jpg.3264d45456f23039ce145f91d1994630.jpg

20180612_074029-01.jpeg

Thanks Rob, the photo's explain it well. Given me lot's of food for thought.

12 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Heyup Steve,

I've only just found this, but glad to see you've been tempted.

I'll be following with interest.

Al.

Thanks Al, I'm not following any particular prototype, I'd like  a few sidings where, based on the rolling stock, I could change the industry.  Ladmanlow Sidings was part of the inspiration that pushed me over the edge! ;) 

Steve.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, sb67 said:

Hello Rob,

it amazes me that how ever many times I've looked at Sheep Lane I never realised your 'shelf' was only 26cm wide. I always thought you had a deeper LACK, you've created a spacious feel to it.

How easy were they to put together? I did want to keep it all on one board but that would make my max train length an 0-6-0 and 2 wagons. 

A run round does seem appealing though.

I bet there's more than a few tempted to go industrial, I do like the pics of your Ruston, think I'll put one on my xmas list! 

Steve.

Well if anyone can take just a hand full of points and a narrow baseboard and make it look spectacular it's @NHY 581 

I too am tempted by the industrial darkside 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

72821362_772272263215246_1291844390754451456_n.jpg.ee09623857254de27a332ff213994e6a.jpg

Decisions, decisions, this is my other board, it's just over 3ft long. No room for a fiddle yard but more room for some scenic work. I initially wanted it all to be on one board but I like the extra space this one gives.  I've just got to work out a way of adding a fiddle yard or stay with the smaller plan.

Steve.

• Like 6

75282173_2379036389076615_2229763788188418048_n.jpg.8d9ba68d45b8539e63cd8a8c4ae8a69a.jpg

75199761_776782326078024_2665129264180887552_n.jpg.03ae5bde32cc6643515fbd7705adce76.jpg

Been trying out an idea. A road overbridge and the  house on a slightly higher embankment, a retaining wall would be behind the loco shed. 

Any advice on planning the sector plate would be appreciated as the last one I built was more luck than judgement! I'm not sure if all that would fit in and I'm not sure if the house works on an embankment as I wanted to have a garden or something there. I quite like the idea of a single track road going over the tracks at that point.

It's a start!

Steve.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

stop it, just stop it I need to finish Warren before I do another layout so please stop temping me over to the industrial layout darkside :P

I'm liking the idea of a road bridge, would this be the entrance to the fiddle yard?

Chris

• Like 2

Regarding the sector plate I've built a few. My method is to lay one track, then the sector plate then the other track. Instead of using a sliding bolt to join up the rails I use a stopper a block which I align the rails with then super glue it down. This means that I can just push the sector plate across to it and I know it will be joined up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3