Rustons Sidings.

sb67

2 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Loving the way your ideas have developed to what looks like it’s going to be a cracking little layout. Following with interest.

A couple of questions if I may are you’re points operated by dowel with a spike up through the tie bar? How mad have you gone with dropper wires? All handy info for Meldon I’m building, thanks in advance.

Cheers 

Thanks for your comments AdeMoore. The points are indeed operated by dowels and a spike through the tie bar, on the right hand point the dowel operates a micro switch that changes polarity, the y point is just used 'straight out of the box'. As I wanted to try and lay industrial wonky track I cut the track into scale 60ft lengths, as I didn't use rail joiners each length has droppers, a couple of which are attached to simple on/off switches to make isolating sections should I want to park and extra loco on the layout. I also put droppers at the toe end of each point, It all means that I can use the layout in analogue or DCC if wanted.

Hope that helps.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, AdeMoore said:

Cheers Steve point control as I intend, if I can pull it off! I got to learn how to wire up a layout first. Fighting to cut track accurately at the mo!

Cheers for the help in your  answer. 
Ade

No problem AdeMoore, any more questions just ask :)

• Thanks 1

I've been placing some stuff around to get a feel of buildings and scenery, now the backscene's in place as much as I try I don't think I can get the loco shed in, I think the bank will be too steep, so I might make the siding simple coal and water facilities.  

I'd also like an office or something in the yard but there's not a lot of space.

78396996_2656627854434171_151300402074091520_n.jpg.e93e51e1e66110b9386d6c8d90798c8a.jpg

79261283_2257364534556359_918397997979533312_n.jpg.2fbf93be689025290c3bd125b011623b.jpg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, sb67 said:

but there's not a lot of space.

How many times have those words been heard in this forum? :D I think an office or weighbridge hut would work well in the scene, if you can work out where to place one.

About that loco shed; putting on my civil-engineering-student hardhat, could a low retaining wall (say, half the height of the shed) topped off by a 1:1 bank fit in the space? Even if it doesn't allow the shed to go in, it would still allow more space for whatever loco servicing facilities you choose instead.

This trackplan and overall scene is one I've been thinking about trying for a while, so I'm interested to see what you make of it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

How many times have those words been heard in this forum? :D I think an office or weighbridge hut would work well in the scene, if you can work out where to place one.

About that loco shed; putting on my civil-engineering-student hardhat, could a low retaining wall (say, half the height of the shed) topped off by a 1:1 bank fit in the space? Even if it doesn't allow the shed to go in, it would still allow more space for whatever loco servicing facilities you choose instead.

This trackplan and overall scene is one I've been thinking about trying for a while, so I'm interested to see what you make of it.

Thanks TechnicArrow, I like your thinking :)

3 hours ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Steve

I was just about to suggest something similar- cut a recess out of the embankment maybe a bit like this.....

Just a thought!

Disgusting of Market Harborough 

20190914_162335-1.jpg

Ta Dave, funnily enough I've been looking at Tudwick road for a bit of inspiration and I like that recess.

• Like 1

• sb67 changed the title to Rustons sidings - Bridge help neded!

79818307_454998005425035_2236710103220748288_n.jpg.55edda70f0a6b2f0d2dbbfc28d0a9b23.jpg

79462211_599211067318340_1299907457413283840_n.jpg.3bc72fc477a8b7cfffc29dc41e479e44.jpg

I've started building the bridge, I've got a couple of questions though;

Should the abutments be parallel with the tracks? this would mean the main span would have a bend in it, or should the abutments be parallel with each other?

I'm also thinking the  4 pillars are way too big for the size of bridge I want and I'm not sure what else to do. It is meant to be a bridge carrying a track/footpath over the rails.

Bit stuck with this at the moment.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

This is personal opinion rather than informed opinion but I would go for the abutments to be in line, or parallel - ie a straight road over the bridge.

Hopefully the wing wall walls are not attached yet - as if they are they may get too close to the track?

Regards,

James

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jamest said:

Hi,

This is personal opinion rather than informed opinion but I would go for the abutments to be in line, or parallel - ie a straight road over the bridge.

Hopefully the wing wall walls are not attached yet - as if they are they may get too close to the track?

Regards,

James

Thanks James, the wings are attached but not too strongly so they could be adjusted.

• Like 1

Definitely parallel. However, and I know it's there to hide the scenic break, the central pillar just looks wrong - it should either have corner pillars and two short deck spans either side, or just not be there with one longer span.

As for the pillars looking too beefy - I think they're fine for an occupational crossing (foot/animal traffic with the occasional tractor) myself, but if you're concerned then perhaps using a light-and-narrow footbridge-type deck would work, implying the abutments once carried something more substantial but has been damaged. Letting my brain get away from me, perhaps that central pillar has been damaged, so a temporary, lighter, single-span bridge has been placed across the abutments during repair works...

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TechnicArrow said:

Definitely parallel. However, and I know it's there to hide the scenic break, the central pillar just looks wrong - it should either have corner pillars and two short deck spans either side, or just not be there with one longer span.

As for the pillars looking too beefy - I think they're fine for an occupational crossing (foot/animal traffic with the occasional tractor) myself, but if you're concerned then perhaps using a light-and-narrow footbridge-type deck would work, implying the abutments once carried something more substantial but has been damaged. Letting my brain get away from me, perhaps that central pillar has been damaged, so a temporary, lighter, single-span bridge has been placed across the abutments during repair works...

Thanks TechnicArrow, I was initially going for a footbridge style but didn't find anything suitable so I was going to use brickwork walls sitting on a concrete base. I like that idea that the bridge could have been damaged and replaced by something lighter, that's given me something to think about. The central pillar is there to hide the fiddle yard a bit so I'm reluctant to leave that out but I guess a bridge that size would not really need one. I've another idea however, as soon as I can solve my photo saving problems I'll post a pic.

• Like 1

A couple more pics of the mocked up bridge. At the moment the central pillar is angled with the track but if I go with that I guess it should be parallel as well.

80350506_569641136938865_5993866048296714240_n.jpg.7ce7eca4ce4466ac59ceb7db82e5e92e.jpg

79757208_475466226709283_1455306387864158208_n.jpg.32789dbb408a5578e8f8c863e38d8da7.jpg

However! I managed to find a magazine of a layout I really like, Ruyton Road by John Spencer and there was this picture;

79691827_2689578691133842_4687700278072311808_n.jpg.c3e69019cdd93b0e057d524048e2ee5e.jpg

I really like this bridge and wonder if it would be suitable so I did a coarse mock up. with one span slightly different. 

78565986_2408468779281510_848914206043406336_n.jpg.dd604d04316e68657179c3cfdc57c860.jpg

I wouldn't know whether to try it in brick or stone though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Steve,

I have found this site useful:

https://www.steelconstruction.info/Half-through_bridges

You probably don't need your central pillar for a footbridge. The deck of a footbridge could get enough strength from its side girders. Really, a structure strong enough to hold itself will be strong enough to carry a few people as well.

This is a good resource too:

http://www.geofffreedman.co.uk

Hope this helps.

- Richard.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Steve, I can see why you want the central pillar, to hide the traverser behind, and I think a stone bridge like the Ruyton Road one would look good and not too out of place.

Even quite small occupation crossings were often stone built in certain areas.

Al.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 47137 said:

Steve,

I have found this site useful:

https://www.steelconstruction.info/Half-through_bridges

You probably don't need your central pillar for a footbridge. The deck of a footbridge could get enough strength from its side girders. Really, a structure strong enough to hold itself will be strong enough to carry a few people as well.

This is a good resource too:

http://www.geofffreedman.co.uk

Hope this helps.

- Richard.

Thanks Richard, the steel construction site is good, I like the cross sections of how bridges are made.

8 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Steve, I can see why you want the central pillar, to hide the traverser behind, and I think a stone bridge like the Ruyton Road one would look good and not too out of place.

Even quite small occupation crossings were often stone built in certain areas.

Al.

Thanks Al, I really like the Ruyton Road bridge so I'll give that a go and see how it looks, I think it fits in with how I want the layout to look as well.

I've a question about the stone bridge, would the arch be supported by bricks? They do look like bricks in the photo.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

I've a question about the stone bridge, would the arch be supported by bricks? They do look like bricks in the photo.

Do you mean internally? It was common to line the inside of the arch with brick, yes. The piers would be stone built, with a row of padstones to support the arches.

Here's some examples:

This is the road bridge at Bakewell:

bakewell-bridge001.jpg.779caa2e32939be913553ad97063801e.jpg

and this is the underside of the arch:

bridge-underside.jpg.615d5240232d21d37b9517f388d74879.jpg

You will notice the brick courses are on a diagonal - this was quite common to increase the strength of the arch.

EDIT: just found this one showing the arch stones, padstones and other details:

Bak-bridge-detail005.jpg.a339d5cb0b1e981da89aace520a1383d.jpg

Here's the arch and padstone detail of the bridge for Grindleford:

grindleford-bridge001.jpg.eacda6cab365cc1823692e71be697f89.jpg

Hope that helps,

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
added photo
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Hi Steve, just caught up with this and it looks a good layout.

Regarding the bridge, I think the Ruyton Road one looks more natural. However, if the bridge carried a lane to an industrial location you would have an excuse for a brick & girder bridge with a strengthening pillar or wall (added much later - both examples I can think of having Engineers blue brick walls), which could hide the sector plate, such as here, near Clevedon:

IMG_20170822_132656.jpg.be5db6ec8d4a5935ccc1016bcc868d35.jpg

Just another option of course. The 2 arch bridge looks better though on balance I think.

Martyn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Steve, you mentioned a rural location a while ago.

So, working on from Martyn's suggestion (above) for a lane to an industrial location, you could go for a lane to a farmer's field instead. This would need a strengthening pillar in the middle so it can carry a tractor, and of course this helps to block view into the fiddle yard.

Also you could have a tractor and trailer on the bridge instead of a bus :-)

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I'm spoilt for choice now, I really like the girder bridge and the idea of a farmers field off stage.

Al - Thanks for the photo's of the road bridge. I've had a practice, I've only got some wills dressed stone sheets so I've used that, I'm sure I've seen bridges like this but would it be prototypical having brick padstones?  ( never knew that's what they were called) 

I was going to see how this looked. The wall is straight, for some reason it look warped in the photo! 

80726189_995207514150141_3366410437645041664_n.jpg.5ab8671de857930471807ad19a19c565.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I'm sure I've seen bridges like this but would it be prototypical having brick padstones?

Hi mate, those are the arch stones, the padstones are the ones at the top of the piers which support the arch. They normally stick out from the surface a bit:

Bak-bridge-detail006.jpg.56bf4e2efb84f132c007b0f4cf5c30ec.jpg

To be honest, I haven't seen many stone bridges with brick arch stones like that, but that's not to say there aren't any.

Al.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1