Rustons Sidings.

sb67

• RMweb Gold

I think that looks excellent, you've made a cracking job of it.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise Tan 237 was discontinued, that's a shame. Not sure what would be a replacement, but you could mix a similar colour with cream and grey, possibly.

As Martyn says you could remove some surface colour with warm water and a brillo pad, or wet-and-dry.

It looks great Steve, really good.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sb67 said:

......Also I was told that Matt Tan 237 isn't made any more so what would be an equivalent? 

The trainshop have it in stock if that helps

https://www.trainshop.co.uk/acrylic/5779-no-237-desert-tan-matt-12ml-acrylic.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI38qgzI_v5gIVibPtCh2nwgo9EAQYASABEgKzjvD_BwE

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I tried to remove a bit with some really fine wet and dry but it wasn't the look I wanted. I'll persevere and drybrush some more stones and carry on with the washes. 

Al - thanks for the "how to" I've learnt a lot through that and enjoyed using Humbrol acrylics, had some in my tin for ages and never used them. Would you use the same methods with brickwork albeit with different colours? 

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Thanks for that link Chris

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Al - thanks for the "how to" I've learnt a lot through that and enjoyed using Humbrol acrylics, had some in my tin for ages and never used them. Would you use the same methods with brickwork albeit with different colours? 

You're very welcome mate.

Yes, I would. For normal brick I would use a base coat of Humbrol Matt Acrylic Brick Red (70) and then highlight individual bricks in Matt Rust (113) and Dark Earth (29) and maybe, for lighter looking bricks, Matt Sand (63) then wash the whole lot in a light colour to make them look weathered, and to add the mortar. I would have used Matt Tan for this, but if you can't get it then try a similar colour.

ladmanlow250.jpg.6e60dc097cfe2eec89e81ee33b4a1287.jpg

ladmanlow253.jpg.d25a7109d2a8c220c83529118af9f936.jpg

Al.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Thanks for that link Chris

You’re welcome, there is no mention of it being discontinued on the Humbrol websh*te but it’s rarely accurate.

If it is/has been discontinued I’m sure there will be a few stores that still have it until their stock is depleted

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling correction
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

You’re welcome, there is no mention of it being discontinued on the Humbrol websh*te but it’s rarely accurate.

If it is/has been discontinued I’m sure there will be a few stores that still have it until their stock is depleted

It was the guy in Hobbycraft that looked and told me. I would imagine a lot of stores would still have it though. 

44 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

You're very welcome mate.

Yes, I would. For normal brick I would use a base coat of Humbrol Matt Acrylic Brick Red (70) and then highlight individual bricks in Matt Rust (113) and Dark Earth (29) and maybe, for lighter looking bricks, Matt Sand (63) then wash the whole lot in a light colour to make them look weathered, and to add the mortar. I would have used Matt Tan for this, but if you can't get it then try a similar colour.

ladmanlow250.jpg.6e60dc097cfe2eec89e81ee33b4a1287.jpg

ladmanlow253.jpg.d25a7109d2a8c220c83529118af9f936.jpg

Al.

Perfect, thanks for that Al. :)

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, sb67 said:

It's darker than I really wanted but I do like the look of it. (looks lighter in the pic)

Hi Steve, just a further thought on this, don't forget that the prototype photo you used is of a bridge which has been the subject of 50 odd years of comparatively clean rain and wind, and is, moreover, under the railway, not with the railway going through it.

If the line was still open, and still steam powered, as your model is, then the bridge would be blasted by soot and smoke everytime a train went through it, so it would look a lot darker and dirtier.

Al.

Bridge all finished, I added a bit of texture on the top using some Chinchilla dust just got to work out how to take the scenery round the corner now. I think the right hand wing might need adjusting a bit. A bit of head scratching  going on at the moment! 

81456950_507132149936069_3261154679144316928_n.jpg.626db6f53983087aa277e50c676cfb32.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thanks guys, I'm pleased with how it worked out. Just a bit of a shame that the wing wall on one side is probably a bit big. I've was staring at the area all eve and cant come up with a way to take the path round the corner and incorporate some steps leading down. 

7 hours ago, Andrew Cockburn said:

The bridge looks good. Chinchilla dust? I'll keep that in mind for my own future modelling projects!

I got the idea from a book by Gordon Gravett, when sieved over wet paint it gives a nice bit of texture. 

• RMweb Premium

How about some shrubbery on the embankment behind the wing wall on the right, to hide the compressed nature of the landscape? There is room for some steps down and a path on the left of the bridge.

- Richard.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

It looks in proportion to me Steve, outstanding job on the finish

Thanks Chris, it just seems a bit too close to the track for the kickback siding.

5 hours ago, 47137 said:

How about some shrubbery on the embankment behind the wing wall on the right, to hide the compressed nature of the landscape? There is room for some steps down and a path on the left of the bridge.

- Richard.

Thanks Richard, I like that idea. I never thought of putting steps that side but they may be too cramped where I wanted them. Initially I wanted small access steps leading to the yard and everything on the far side would be fenced off but I'll have to have a rethink

That bridge has finished up looking amazing. Well done, mate!

For those not in the know, Chinchilla dust is a very fine grit used to line Chinchilla cages. I used it as N gauge ballast and it looks in scale, which is nice. I've also used it for almost everything else I can think of that requires a stony, gritty look.

Heck I've used it - mixed in with other things - for O scale ballast too, but only on industrial trackage:

IMG_20191019_205959.jpg.a4baf9d81ed8cf99c02b52b743f16a60.jpg

Edited by DanielB
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, DanielB said:

That bridge has finished up looking amazing. Well done, mate!

For those not in the know, Chinchilla dust is a very fine grit used to line Chinchilla cages. I used it as N gauge ballast and it looks in scale, which is nice. I've also used it for almost everything else I can think of that requires a stony, gritty look.

Heck I've used it - mixed in with other things - for O scale ballast too, but only on industrial trackage:

IMG_20191019_205959.jpg.a4baf9d81ed8cf99c02b52b743f16a60.jpg

Thanks Daniel. I like that photo. :)

• Thanks 1

I've been trying out some scenery ideas. Not sure what I can do, the embankment to the right of the bridge seems really steep unless I change the location and have a chalk or rock cutting with a path on the top, something I like the idea of but don't know how to model. The stairs I have seem a bit too big as well so I'm not sure if I'm going to use them.

82019074_674833646255180_8598908612632379392_n.jpg.d7348fb6fc24dd3f728e04a8cb177a81.jpg

• Like 3

Nothing wrong with that, I've see similar out there in the wild!

Have you considered a retaining wall there? Or maybe carve into the rock a bit more and have a couple of ashlar arches built into the rock face as a sort of semi-natural, semi-repaired look?

I'll see if I can find a photo of what I mean.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, sb67 said:

the embankment to the right of the bridge seems really steep

As @DanielB has suggested, I would go for a retaining wall at the same height as the wing wall end, and then cut back the landscape at an angle above it to the edge of the path or roadway above. You could then grass it, and have a few shrubs,trees or bushes on it, or alternatively make it a bare rock cutting.

Something like this:

station-yard058.jpg.1f33b7f97f13dca681d1a5f6a1e6477e.jpg

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
added example
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, they are fantastic ideas.

I really like the Bristol photo, I like the bit of interest the arch and door gives wouldn't know how to start doing that though, I'm guessing a big bit of polystyrene then carve out the rocks and use plaster painted over.

Bit of a learning curve this one as I've only really built retaining walls and factory backs!

One question, do I need to put pillars ( not sure if that's the right term)  at the ends of the wing walls?