Rustons Sidings.

sb67

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

This is looking great - I too marvel at the blend of groundwork and the effect it has - top work.

I 'm at the greenery stage with my little layout too and I find myself taking in the detail and colour on the hedges, trees, bushes, etc on our exercise walks every night.

Nice work on the green house too.

Cheers,

James

• Thanks 1

Back to the dodgy indoor photo's. I've put a path in the garden and a fence. I think I'm going to have chickens so a coop will be the next thing on the workbench.

This would be the view from the bedroom window of the house.

95249212_231182061472653_5305581342791041024_n.jpg.de6a5795134f441d77b4164cef726a3e.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
On 27/04/2020 at 18:51, sb67 said:

Feeling pretty inspired by the virtual event yesterday I took the layout down to the garden to try and get some better pics. It was a bit hairy at times as I'm in a flat and trying to get through the self closing doors was a bit traumatic! I was really pleased with the results, nothing fell off. I just wish I could get better ones indoors.

Some years ago I bought myself a small studio flash kit. This has two heads and stands, and various accessories. For model trains I've only ever needed one of the heads, the soft box (included in the kit) and a piece of white card to make a reflector. There is far more power in one of these heads than a battery flash unit, and I can use f/22 or smaller whenever I want, with the shutter at 1/250 and the camera hand-held. No tripod. The softbox is extremely useful, a small one is fine because you are only illuminating a small miniature, not a whole person. The kit I bought was the Interfit 150.

- Richard.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/04/2020 at 18:51, sb67 said:

Feeling pretty inspired by the virtual event yesterday I took the layout down to the garden to try and get some better pics. It was a bit hairy at times as I'm in a flat and trying to get through the self closing doors was a bit traumatic! I was really pleased with the results, nothing fell off. I just wish I could get better ones indoors.

That's great Steve, well done for being brave enough to try it!

And it makes it all worth while to see the layout in proper daylight, it does make such a difference.

Some brilliant photos mate.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if I can beat the outdoor photo's but I've got some LED strips coming from E bay which I can put on the underside of the shelf above the layout to see if that makes a difference. The worst case is it will make operating a bit easier. 

• Like 1

• sb67 changed the title to Rustons Sidings.
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Adrian. It was built with the Hornby Ruston and Peckett's in mind I've enjoyed building it as I've never really done any scenery before. I'm trying to get some better pictures of it photography is something I've yet to master! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 30/05/2020 at 10:27, Stubby47 said:

This is getting Little Muddle-esque!

I'll take that, I've got a lot of inspiration from Little Muddle :)

The next bit is to move on to the yard. I've a question, does the hut look too big, would a tin platelayers hut look better or nothing at all with some junk etc? The yard was meant to be an area where wagons were placed out of the way for a bit, to be repaired or stored, maybe a place to unload stores material etc.

I feel that it needs something but I'm not sure what? 

101627603_1398015703919666_8601900783203516416_n.jpg.a4c99f2375eb4f2b30fd4e8e13626dea.jpg

101495334_756008998536835_7825019638344843264_n.jpg.bd95e5856b155f01c1a82de964cd957c.jpg

• Like 9

It looks rather like a weighbridge hut, in my view a small yard like that would not merit the cost and maintenance of a weighbridge, so perhaps a coal merchant or something?  Excuse for lots of little details like scales, and heaps of coal, empty sacks, coal wagons, coal truck (petrol, diesel or horse, to taste) etc.  Nice hut, advertising hoarding, kids nicking lumps of coal, mmm...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1