Rustons Sidings.

sb67

I've built a small tin hut, I quite like it but cant make up my mind if it fit's with the yard. I think I might be better off with some junk and stuff laying around.

102416234_282519823132737_8602316496600832915_n.jpg.8cd50d7c4a08dbf6ee1ec10d7fb08d26.jpg

102756584_262404161526034_43158614711995783_n.jpg.86f59b79d974bd5943d221d796abb036.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Your layout is looking great, lots of atmosphere!....wonderful

6172ABBB-C6FC-4DE6-A430-60BBAB4F3BC1.jpeg.5ef6ca2a2e153bad2a0bd069f251af62.jpeg

Personally I like both buildings you’ve done, could you incorporate the two?

Maybe put the brick buildings here too?

D86C6DDA-2DF4-48E2-935F-7BEC6B50F696.jpeg.294eb71652aeda9db4d6751bca1b0ee4.jpeg

Just a thought

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a lovely looking little hut, but I think it looks a bit strange in isolation.

I would be tempted to leave that whole area bare - for one thing if wagons are going to be unloaded from those sidings, then vehicles will need access all the way down from the buffer stops.

Your tin hut could perhaps go up against the pier of the bridge?

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Would there be a gatehouse on this kind of yard? If you wanted one, the brick building could be a candidate?

I’d have a look at plonking the tin hit in the grass behind the garden like a tool shed no longer in regular use.  My own modelling is only very basic, so I hope it’s OK to make a suggestion.  MAP66’s Tyteford Halt shows how a small shed can look overgrown which I’m sure you’ll have seen - my skills aren’t anywhere near that, but it looks like you could make it work.  Just a thought, Keith.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Keith re the gatehouse.

Can you squeeze the brick shed between the boundary wall and the buffer stop?

As Al said, your tin hut could go up against the central pier.

An old covered wagon ( as on KNP's Long Walk Home), could sit on the patch of grass behind the rear track.

If you wanted sheds in front of the tracks, seek out Lower Rose Goods by Steve Howe, he has some which would be perfectly suited.

But then, as said, lots of rusting junk and piles of stuff to add clutter and interest. 

Check out  https://www.goodwoodscenics.co.uk

(usual disclaimers)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Layout is looking good, nice atmosphere.  I'd try to avoid placing the sheds adjacent to the sidings where they would be in the way when loading/unloading wagons.  I'd try both in the foreground as suggested above, they might then break up the scene and give the impression of a longer layout.  Alternatively, maybe try the tin shed on the grassy area in front of the rear wing wall of your bridge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had a re-place with the hut. 

83358178_3246750132001927_1781689016236167517_n.jpg.3cb829ed5d9a0635a2df81fa4ac2a40b.jpg

I think it looks way too big here. It dwarves he shed and greenhouse making me question the size of the hut, even though the size was measured from a magazine article. Or are the shed and greenhouse too small? 

103078294_1044619195934585_5857692543324114940_n.jpg.760e68f3f5f72b3394a5ff3ecdbe0c73.jpg

I do like it here, add assorted junk and stuff and I think it's ok. I'm not too sure about the brick hut though as it's so close to the baseboard edge.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

I like the tin hut there up against the bridge between the tracks, will look great with some weeds and a small amount of clutter around it. The brick hut might look better brought down nearer to the points (at the middle of the last pic') ...and close to the baseboard edge do'snt matter. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree that the last photo looks right.

While reading above I was thinking the shed would look good against the bridge - and then you do it!

regards,

James

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jamest said:

I agree that the last photo looks right.

While reading above I was thinking the shed would look good against the bridge - and then you do it!

regards,

James

Thanks James, it wasn't my idea though, credit to Alister_G in an earlier post. 

• RMweb Premium

Thought I would throw my two penneth in and its definitely not meant to confuse you any further Steve.

Wills do a little scrap merchants kit, it might work being placed on the edge of the layout near the front edge or maybe a small coal merchants already mentioned by Simond. 

Perhaps even a grounded van body used for storage, could be really beaten up and overgrown with new pieces of timber repairs added over the years. Perhaps a brazier with a pile of old wood and junk to burn.

Any way, keep running your ideas past us all, as we are only too glad to continue offering our opinions.

All the best

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/06/2020 at 06:43, sb67 said:

I'm not too sure about the brick hut though as it's so close to the baseboard edge.

I still think Keith and Stu had a good idea when they suggested using the brick hut as a gatehouse immediately inside the entrance to the yard on the left, either between the wall and the bufferstop if it will fit, or just in front of the bufferstop if not.

I think the layout will look better if you leave the front uncluttered and fairly open.

Can you try taking some photos down at ground level? I think that would help you visualise the scene better.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/06/2020 at 06:43, sb67 said:

I've had a re-place with the hut. 

83358178_3246750132001927_1781689016236167517_n.jpg.3cb829ed5d9a0635a2df81fa4ac2a40b.jpg

I think it looks way too big here. It dwarves he shed and greenhouse making me question the size of the hut, even though the size was measured from a magazine article. Or are the shed and greenhouse too small? 

103078294_1044619195934585_5857692543324114940_n.jpg.760e68f3f5f72b3394a5ff3ecdbe0c73.jpg

I do like it here, add assorted junk and stuff and I think it's ok. I'm not too sure about the brick hut though as it's so close to the baseboard edge.

Having suggested it might be an idea to try the tin hut on the grass, I agree it looks good by the bridge - weirdly, it looks smaller there (I guess it is because the bridge is big, while the greenhouse is small?).  Thanks for sharing the photos, Keith.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Having suggested it might be an idea to try the tin hut on the grass, I agree it looks good by the bridge - weirdly, it looks smaller there (I guess it is because the bridge is big, while the greenhouse is small?).  Thanks for sharing the photos, Keith.

It's strange, putting it next to the greenhouse it looks massive! 

I think the brick hut is just a bit too big to go near the entrance, there's not a lot of room for anything to drive in.

On 07/06/2020 at 08:33, Stubby47 said:

Check out  https://www.goodwoodscenics.co.uk

Thanks for that link, that site is a proper Aladdin's cave :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

It's strange, putting it next to the greenhouse it looks massive! 

I think the brick hut is just a bit too big to go near the entrance, there's not a lot of room for anything to drive in.

All goes to show how well you’ve created the illusion of space on the model - we’re all looking at it and thinking there’s more space than there actually is.  Knowing this, I’d be inclined to keep the brick building at the front of the layout - where it’s it’s OK for it to be a bit bigger, and to keep the sidings free for unloading.  
I suppose it begs the question as to whether there would be some kind of small gatehouse on a yard like this?  Sorry, creating more work.

(I have started building a small layout - unfortunately I discovered today that some track I stuck down at the weekend didn’t stick - I think the wooden weight I was using had warped so wasn’t actually holding down the track in places at all...)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve..

I think the brick hut is too big for the front of the layout. 

How about putting the brick hut where the wriggly tin hut is next the bridge and then placing WTH alongside it ? As it is now but moved down to accomodate the Brick hut.

I think the two hut together will give a nice contrast. 

Also, might draw the eye away from looking through the arch.......

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting discussion this. You'll be sleepless for months Steve :)

I suppose the ideal is something that's makes sense prototypically but is also visually balanced.  From a  purely visual point of view, I'm worried about rear-loading the layout (too much stuff at the back).  

I like the tin hut by the bridge, and I can see the idea of the brick hut at the front - especially if you like getting down to eye level, where viewblocks at the front can be very effective. 

Just to add to the fun, personally I'm missing something in the middle ground now, to help add balance and depth. Not clutter in my opinion, that would make it too busy. A vehicle perhaps? Sometimes an expanse looks bigger and more spacious if you put something in it.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Steve..

I think the brick hut is too big for the front of the layout. 

How about putting the brick hut where the wriggly tin hut is next the bridge and then placing WTH alongside it ? As it is now but moved down to accomodate the Brick hut.

I think the two hut together will give a nice contrast. 

Also, might draw the eye away from looking through the arch.......

Rob. 

That's interesting Rob, I'll try that later.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve, whilst out walking the station dog this morning i came across this building and thought it might work on Ruston Sidings with your brick building, if you ignore all the greenery and imagine it in a yard with perhaps some old ripped up or partly covered over track going into it. Just a thought and all the best Adrian.

shed 2.jpg

shed 1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Steve, whilst out walking the station dog this morning i came across this building and thought it might work on Ruston Sidings with your brick building, if you ignore all the greenery and imagine it in a yard with perhaps some old ripped up or partly covered over track going into it. Just a thought and all the best Adrian.

Thanks for the photo's Adrian. I like that building, the rusting roof and the greenery gradually taking hold look great. I like the skip and rubbish too, that would all make for a great cameo. Not sure if I could fit it on my layout as it is but I've saved the photo's for future reference. Out of interest where is it, was it railway related at all? 

Been messing around with the buildings. There's not enough room for them to be side to side unless they are parallel to the sidings. I like the idea of the hut in front of the bridge with some junk and weeds around it.

103515257_187516419287904_5387270039241958033_n.jpg.579802034e3f025f23f14548eb9eabe7.jpg

103808369_1636547533165450_330580848040965095_n.jpg.22db9b392ab45405c9560d80e2c04669.jpg

103965113_2486993214856602_4905487237894906412_n.jpg.aa4e2ea88a102ae94f9e348799464ce8.jpg

• Like 12

3 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Steve, the building is a non railway related building, and is gently falling to pieces all by itself in the middle of a wood on a nearby common (Highgate Common).

All the best Adrian.

Thanks Adrian. That's a nice find I love old buildings like that. 

Stay safe.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Here is a detail you might like to include. I found this in the deserted station car park at Hatfield Peverel. The fence is modern - within the last few years - but the rail has probably been there almost forever.

- Richard.

1440175640_2020-03-2308_23.jpg.4ccbf207c71fbf40b43720baabca535f.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 47137 said:

Here is a detail you might like to include. I found this in the deserted station car park at Hatfield Peverel. The fence is modern - within the last few years - but the rail has probably been there almost forever.

- Richard.

1440175640_2020-03-2308_23.jpg.4ccbf207c71fbf40b43720baabca535f.jpg

That's interesting Richard. Do you know if it was part of an old goods yard track or was it used to support a fence? It looks like there's some sort of fixing on the rail.