Rustons Sidings.

sb67

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

That's interesting Richard. Do you know if it was part of an old goods yard track or was it used to support a fence? It looks like there's some sort of fixing on the rail.  

It looks to me like a convenient way to make an edge for the tarmac car park. It's bolted onto bits of flattened rail driven into the ground. I doubt it was from the goods yard because it is FB rail.

The fence here was a simple post and wire affair until a series of cable thefts around 2011-12-ish when Network Rail put in this steel fence instead.

- Richard.

• Thanks 1

On 12/06/2020 at 07:46, sb67 said:

Thanks for the photo's Adrian. I like that building, the rusting roof and the greenery gradually taking hold look great. I like the skip and rubbish too, that would all make for a great cameo. Not sure if I could fit it on my layout as it is but I've saved the photo's for future reference. Out of interest where is it, was it railway related at all? 

Been messing around with the buildings. There's not enough room for them to be side to side unless they are parallel to the sidings. I like the idea of the hut in front of the bridge with some junk and weeds around it.

103515257_187516419287904_5387270039241958033_n.jpg.579802034e3f025f23f14548eb9eabe7.jpg

103808369_1636547533165450_330580848040965095_n.jpg.22db9b392ab45405c9560d80e2c04669.jpg

103965113_2486993214856602_4905487237894906412_n.jpg.aa4e2ea88a102ae94f9e348799464ce8.jpg

Being a yard man. I really like what you have done Steve.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve

Thats another superbly convincing weathering job on the corrugated hut. You have the eye for detail, there's no doubt about that and a master class in clutter arrangement all makes for a very lifelike scene.

Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind next.

Mark

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely Steve, nice subtle colourings and it all blends together really well.

Like Adrian (Westerhamstation) you have the knack of making things look as though they've been there forever.

Nice work mate.

Al.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/06/2020 at 21:05, sb67 said:

Finished the hut finally, I don't want to overdo the clutter but if I can find some oil cans etc I'd like something like that or maybe some brake van lamps. 

Next up finding stuff to put on the yard.

105596023_396449331296498_3990933870600515321_n.jpg.dbbdb6632d4a5a2e2305b7171e07fc39.jpg

Absolutely spot on Steve! very realistic, could easily be mistaken for a real life photo

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Haven't done much for a couple of weeks other than think about my next layout! I think I better finish this one first but I'm a bit stuck now. Not sure what to put in this space now. I'm thinking less is more maybe  a basic coal and water facility, just a pile of coal and a water pipe. I was thinking on the siding near the edge of the layout. As for the yard area, I imagined an out of the way place at the end of a line where things get dumped/stored but I don't want to over do it. Any ideas welcome! 

114445090_2364761730484889_5121289741439720063_n.jpg.7336c42a9a5b6a0b256e57d1913c375d.jpg 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My personal feeling is that you don't want much more of anything. By the time you've got a few wagons dotted about in the sidings it will look busy enough.

If you put a coal and water stage in, then that effectively blocks that siding for use for stock, unless you want to keep shunting it every time a loco needs to refuel.

Al.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Haven't done much for a couple of weeks other than think about my next layout! I think I better finish this one first but I'm a bit stuck now. Not sure what to put in this space now. I'm thinking less is more maybe  a basic coal and water facility, just a pile of coal and a water pipe. I was thinking on the siding near the edge of the layout. As for the yard area, I imagined an out of the way place at the end of a line where things get dumped/stored but I don't want to over do it. Any ideas welcome! 

Oops! someone promised to send you some standpipes in the post didn't they :huh:

Sorry Steve, I forgot

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Oops! someone promised to send you some standpipes in the post didn't they :huh:

Sorry Steve, I forgot

No worries Chris, I'm undecided where to put anything anyway and I've been distracted by other projects! 

4 hours ago, Alister_G said:

My personal feeling is that you don't want much more of anything. By the time you've got a few wagons dotted about in the sidings it will look busy enough.

If you put a coal and water stage in, then that effectively blocks that siding for use for stock, unless you want to keep shunting it every time a loco needs to refuel.

Al.

Thanks Al. I did wonder. The only place I was going to put anything loco wise would be at the front and possibly the kick back siding. It prob would only be a standpipe and pile of coal. 

The coal stage could go here? 

115797347_1174403109590120_6789369049548007343_n.jpg.532aefef216c37ade33af7282f7f2bd6.jpg

Edited by sb67
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JimRead said:

Hello Steve,

I found this page on the Goods and not so goods site: https://www.igg.org.uk/rail/12-linind/012-index.htm It's all about lineside industries. 

The whole site is a mine of useful info, I use it for wagon drawings, appendix two on the index page.

Cheers - Jim

Thanks Jim. Had a quick glance at the site, there's certainly a lot of stuff to look through. I'll plan a couple of hours with a cuppa tomorrow :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, Well, better late to the Party than never arriving at all.

Just had a good look through, as may have guessed by all the likes etc. It looks amazing, as I'm about to venture into another small project, it's certainly given me some inspiration.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Andy. I'd recommend a small project as a way of keeping your hand in, I've really enjoyed building Rustons Sidings and there's still a bit to do. I'm short of space and time so even though operation can be limited small layout's work well for me, I'm trying hard to plan the next one! I look at your threads for a bit of inspiration I'll look forward to seeing what you do.

stay safe.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening Steve. 

Working my way back through this lovely thread. 

I'm finding much by way of inspiration......

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening Steve. 

Working my way back through this lovely thread. 

I'm finding much by way of inspiration......

Rob. 

Nice words Rob. Coming from someone who's work I admire and have been inspired by means a lot. 

There's still bit's I want to do on it  and I should be brave and weather some stock for it too. 

I'm getting distracted by a box file and a blue diesel layout though! 

• Like 1

On 19/09/2020 at 20:44, sb67 said:

Nice words Rob. Coming from someone who's work I admire and have been inspired by means a lot. 

There's still bit's I want to do on it  and I should be brave and weather some stock for it too. 

I'm getting distracted by a box file and a blue diesel layout though! 

Nowt wrong with a bit of Blue young man. :good:   In fact I can highly recommend it.:dancer:

• Like 1