Rustons Sidings.

sb67

13 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I think you'd get away with a 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 33, or Hymek , so really something quite small would work. Deffo not a Co Co, as that would dwarf the Layout and spoil the effect I feel.

That's given me something to think about, Rustons sidings was originally planned with small shunters in mind.:)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

(For the uninitiated, might help to explain that Mick - who I don’t know personally - is a well-known expert in weathering, so is qualified to make this statement)

Although he probably won't acknowledge it, Steve is perfectly capable of doing the weathering. Just look at that tin hut and coaling stage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

6 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Although he probably won't acknowledge it, Steve is perfectly capable of doing the weathering. Just look at that tin hut and coaling stage.

Thanks Mick. Coming from yourself that's very nice to hear. I'll have to re read your blogs for some ideas. 

Trust you're ok and staying safe.

• 7 months later...
15 hours ago, Gedward said:

I've really enjoyed reading through this amazing thread. It stands as a beacon to what's possible on such a small space. Well done Steve.

Thanks George, although small it was an absorbing project and it could do with a bit more detailing in places.  I enjoy shunting some wagons around it and it's perfect for my small locos. 

Edited by sb67

5 hours ago, Sussex Yard said:

Love this thread! Deffo using some inspiration as I'm building a micro layout of similar proportions to yours. I also have a non-weathered LMS Pug too! 

Thank you,  I got a lot of inspiration from stuff on here, glad I've given a bit of it back. :)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Thank you,  I got a lot of inspiration from stuff on here, glad I've given a bit of it back. :)

That you do , Steve. I'm not doing a lot at present but find myself revisiting certain threads, of which this is one.  Much to inspire. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

That you do , Steve. I'm not doing a lot at present but find myself revisiting certain threads, of which this is one.  Much to inspire. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

10 hours ago, mullie said:

Can't believe I missed this thread and Dockland Sidings having followed your other layouts. The layouts look great, I will have to have a proper read now I've found them.

Martyn

Thank You Martyn. 

Can't believe I missed this thread and Dockland Sidings having followed your other layouts. The layouts look great, I will have to have a proper read now I've found them.

Martyn

Thank You Martyn. 

Martyn

Thank You Martyn. 

• 1 year later...

So a while back I was coaxed into exhibiting at my first ever show! As it is the only thing that fits in the car Ruston Sidings was selected. 

329785662_737652814371247_2301655816362618015_n.jpg.dcbc02c228b43f707f19a8fb2b6305d7.jpg

This is the state of play so far, not much has changed and I'd like to add some more detail in the yard and maybe at the front, not too much though.

Decide on which stock to use.

somehow make the running bulletproof, maybe use DCC, in which case I'll need some small decoders.

I don't think lighting is essential for the show but I might try and rig something up, the main thing is deciding on stock and devising some sort of operation to keep me going for a few hours, I only ever run it for 30 mins or so at home! 

Hopefully some better photo's as I get round to adding and weathering stuff. 

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, sb67 said:

So a while back I was coaxed into exhibiting at my first ever show! As it is the only thing that fits in the car Ruston Sidings was selected. 

329785662_737652814371247_2301655816362618015_n.jpg.dcbc02c228b43f707f19a8fb2b6305d7.jpg

This is the state of play so far, not much has changed and I'd like to add some more detail in the yard and maybe at the front, not too much though.

Decide on which stock to use.

somehow make the running bulletproof, maybe use DCC, in which case I'll need some small decoders.

I don't think lighting is essential for the show but I might try and rig something up, the main thing is deciding on stock and devising some sort of operation to keep me going for a few hours, I only ever run it for 30 mins or so at home! 

Hopefully some better photo's as I get round to adding and weathering stuff. 

First time as an exhibitor is always very exciting! A couple words of advice would be to make sure thoroughly clean the track/wheels/pickups for the most reliable running prior to the show. It may also be useful to take a couple larger wheel base locos just in case the shorter ones start playing up. I'd say even if you're not sure about lighting it is still something to look into, poorly lit layouts are a big pet peeve of mine because you can never see the detail that went into the models. You don't necessarily have to build a massive lighting rig but a couple LED reading lights clipped onto the backscene are pretty affordable and very quick to set up and adjust. naevlinge-led-clamp-spotlight-white__0710474_pe727575_s5.jpg.64f316c81ec4ebb87a2229a56c5ac47d.jpg

Regarding operation could you setup the layout to work in a shunting puzzle configuration? I find that actually operating the layout goes by pretty quickly especially when people want to chat about different aspects of the layout. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve. 

Totally agree with Luke. Lighting is a must have. Recently I've seen quite a few layouts exhibited without lighting or insufficent lighting. Frankly, it's a waste of time and it can really undermine the layout. 

The LED spots suggested by Luke will help but I think you may end up with "pools" of light with some areas better illuminated than others. 

I use strip lights on my layouts. Depending on your timescale, keep an eye on LIDL. Their LED kitchen strip lights are cheap and work well. However, they only come up once or twice a year. 

The alternative is from say, Screwfix. Not as cheap but work well. 

I would use two. One overhanging the front of the layout by a couple of inches at least and the second running down  the centre of the layout. 

Here's one of my layouts. 

20220623_210931-01.jpeg.3bf0e4940067ad728a1d32faa06bc2a6.jpeg

This lower view gives an idea of how the tubes are arranged. The one running down the centre has a strip of card just in front to act as a baffle. In other words it stops you looking directly into the illuminated tube. 

20221008_144557-01.jpeg.85c49d8f17ce88a310b721876f1e1685.jpeg

Rob. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Thanks guys, I could add some posts to the backscene to use some spots but I do like the strip lights, I'll have to get my thinking head on.

@luke the train spotter what is the spotlight in that image? 

The one in the picture is one from ikea, I wasn't necessarily meaning this light in particular but more the style. 

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/naevlinge-led-clamp-spotlight-white-10449891/

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 6 months later...