Photographic backscenes

I am part of a group building a layout, for our club.  We are going to use an ID Backscenes, photographic backscene, and are wondering if anyone has sealed the backscene after it has been fixed, by using an artist's varnish or similar, or if anyone has any other suggestions.  Thanks

Colin

• RMweb Gold

I've just fixed mine to my 4ft micro

DSC_1026.JPG.cd08a69075a4ed1127adf2ebd6983542.JPG

I will be protecting it with a few coats of Humbrol matt acrylic spray. Same stuff I used with the self adhesive vinyl one I fitted to my O gauge layout, that had a very shiny clear layer on top which needed dulling down!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

I've just fixed mine to my 4ft micro

DSC_1026.JPG.cd08a69075a4ed1127adf2ebd6983542.JPG

I will be protecting it with a few coats of Humbrol matt acrylic spray. Same stuff I used with the self adhesive vinyl one I fitted to my O gauge layout, that had a very shiny clear layer on top which needed dulling down!

Aren't the ID Backscenes printed with water soluble ink?

Dave

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Aren't the ID Backscenes printed with water soluble ink?

Dave

Yes, that's why I want to seal it. a light first spray with varnish should let me build up a good protective layer. I've got offcuts to test with first ;)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Was it sealed or fixed? Hard to tell from the photograph.

The image was stitched together in photoshop from five images. It was printed in two sections (total length is over 14 ft) then sprayed with Phoenix matt varnish using a large nozzle air brush after allowing 24hrs for the inks to fully dry. It was mounted to the backboards using permanent Photomount.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 30/10/2019 at 09:17, Yardman said:

The image was stitched together in photoshop from five images. It was printed in two sections (total length is over 14 ft) then sprayed with Phoenix matt varnish using a large nozzle air brush after allowing 24hrs for the inks to fully dry. It was mounted to the backboards using permanent Photomount.

What structure is it on? I can't see obvious joins, is the backscene in a single 14ft piece?

18 hours ago, johnarcher said:

What structure is it on? I can't see obvious joins, is the backscene in a single 14ft piece?

The visible part of the layout is on two baseboards. The photo backscenes are mounted to 6mm ply. Each board having a back and one end. The two baseboards are bolted together to form a box for transportation to exhibitions. The whole layout fits in the back of a large SUV. When set up for operation the backscene's also support the layout lighting. This is computer controlled and does a 24hr sequence on a fast clock.

The photo's were printed in two sections, each section some seven and a half feet long. This was done for ease of handling as much as anything. If you look carefully you can see the baseboard joint in the photograph near the peak of the mountain. I have attached another two photos taken from the other end. More photos appear in the BRM Gallery https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/3980-alwinton/ and on our club website. http://a19modelrailwayclub.org/layouts/alwinton/

DSC_7374mod.jpg

DSC_7383mod.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Yardman said:

The visible part of the layout is on two baseboards. The photo backscenes are mounted to 6mm ply. Each board having a back and one end. The two baseboards are bolted together to form a box for transportation to exhibitions. The whole layout fits in the back of a large SUV. When set up for operation the backscene's also support the layout lighting. This is computer controlled and does a 24hr sequence on a fast clock.

The photo's were printed in two sections, each section some seven and a half feet long. This was done for ease of handling as much as anything. If you look carefully you can see the baseboard joint in the photograph near the peak of the mountain. I have attached another two photos taken from the other end. More photos appear in the BRM Gallery https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/3980-alwinton/ and on our club website. http://a19modelrailwayclub.org/layouts/alwinton/

Thank you, it looks very good. The join is certainly better disguised than usual, it's not at all easy to see.

The whole thing looks very good in fact.

• Thanks 1