Gilkes and Co Liskeard & Caradon 0-6-0 ST

k22009

• RMweb Gold

Some time back i was fortunate to acquire some leftover etches that Mike Edge had drawn up for one of his commissions. I was advised that they hadn't been revised so there may be some parts that needed a little tlc along with some missing parts which i'd need to scratch build.  I'd fancied modelling something a little different so here we go, this will be from the Liskeard and Caradon railway one of Gilkes and Co engines i think from 1862, it will be an 0-6-0 Saddle Tank "Caradon".

These are the etches i received, Mike also very kindly provided a drawing he used so i could ascertain where everything went.

IMAG4634.jpg.6642b19b20372b6c4f182ec813b9e95d.jpg

First job up was to punch all of the rivets positions out that were half etched, then i could form the saddle tank and the boiler bottom, this will need to be cut away somewhere for the gearbox and motor. I'm hoping i can cut a slot and retain some of the sides so it hides the motor etc

IMAG4635.jpg.468ad27d699ca06c1bf5fbd4aa5d9d89.jpg

Next i'll have to see what sort of motor/gearbox combo i can get away with.

Dave

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave its 4mm scale EM gauge.

Mike, I've had a good look at each component and nothing really jumps out at me at the moment, if there's anything i'll mark up the drawing you sent , scan it and send it off to you once its complete so you can revise your cad drg if you wish. 

A little more work done tonight, the front and rear of the saddle tank were soldered in place along with a riveted strip which will sit above the smoke box. The spectacle plate front and rear were sweated together and positioned on top of the tank.

IMAG4665.jpg.34d0b784fb41274b49141ad148d53987.jpg

IMAG4666.jpg.54f5f4617ea05bc87abe1b605a8d05de.jpg

The valences were also fitted onto the footplate and i folded up the splashers, i'll add the tops and the make up some semi circular stiffeners  which fit into a slot to the front of the splasher vertical faces next. 

IMAG4664.jpg.ef07d8ec66ff285260e3e6cc87966d4c.jpg

Once i've got that done, i'll measure the motor and gearbox and see how best to locate it. At the moment i'm not sure whether to drive the front or center axle, i'd like to hide as much of the motor/gearbox as possible but that may not be practical seeing as the boiler is only 14mm diameter. 

Dave

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

It's been persisting here in Perthshire all day so i've managed to get a few more things done.

Splashers added and the small front pieces which were a bit of a fiddle and got the nuts soldered on before i forget and get carried away.

IMAG4667.jpg.d8484e11f95f0456008f29e1c890a89a.jpg

Cut the smoke box from a strip of brass and rolled it as close as i could get 15.5mm diameter or there abouts. I soldered this to smokebox front and added some Mainly Trains rivet strip front and back before attaching it to the saddle tank assembly. It was a little tricky ensuring it was all at the correct height and square.

IMAG4669.jpg.efbe68faef29e91b196562b6da1c3464.jpg

IMAG4673.jpg.b9902c393d107525fdce6ec85c4a6c18.jpg

Dave

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian, thanks for looking in, the photos i have of Caradon have all appeared to be during the locos earlier years on the line. 

A little more done this afternoon as it's still raining. I have started to make up an approximation of what i thought the back head would look like as i have no cab photos, i'll add valves, dials, regulator, firehole cover and piping etc details later. Handrail knobs added to the smoke box, the saddle tank and the cab sides although they look huge on the photos they are the small Alan Gibson versions (it's quite a small loco so maybe they just appear well fed in comparison to its size). Cab sides have been folded and beading added to the top edge. I've also made up the sand boxes that sit at the side of the smoke box on the cab footplate.

IMAG4677.jpg.6f2bc05525bd9a35a74d3ac8adc19bdb.jpg

The Saddle tank assembly is just sat on top of the footplate for now,

Dave 

Edited by k22009
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm waiting for a gearbox from Chris at High Level and some short 1.5mm screws for some small chinese motors i picked up a while ago so i can't get a feel for how much space i need for the bottom of the boiler so i've formed the rear bunker which is a wrap around etch that meets perfectly in the middle at the coal door. There are no guide bend lines to the inside so it's just a case of measuring from the drawing and going for it. I've added handrail pillars and also a small stiffener piece half way down. This will allow me to fill  the bunker with coal while keeping the locating nut for the chassis fixing clear underneath.

From the photos i have it looks like there are several vertical stiffeners probably rivetted to the rear of the bunker on the inside face along with what looks like a shelf about 1'-0 down (4mm). But as the photos aren't clear its difficult to tell. So i'll maybe add something.

IMAG4679.jpg.15c116a46c719b1b64b40fd966a026db.jpg

I'll see if i can position the cab sides so that the rear splashers can be covered over, the saddle tank fits into the cab sides but i should be able to offer it onto the footplate from the front.

Dave

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

This is looking really good, very neat and tidy work. I'm glad the etches seem to be working out OK, I can't remember much about building this one ten years ago.

1518957182_06-05Caradonlf.JPG.05526dee8cd96244cbbeb4a45e8148b5.JPG

1069567025_06-05fr.JPG.b1f5d908939f1f1b907fb2eb30d244bf.JPG

1970758116_06-05br.JPG.f16577e49178321581fbd86ae45901f9.JPG

Not much in the way of commercial fittings for odd locos like this, built in EM gauge with Gibson 4849B wheels, a Mashima 9x16 motor on a Branchlines  50:1 gearbox according to my notes. i think the motor is driving the trailing axle, it doesn't fit entirely in the firebox but it's fairly unobtrusive behind the splashers and springs. I hope these photos are of some use to you.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the motor/gear info and the photos Mike, you've done a cracking job as always on it.

I've got a few odd castings set aside but i haven't tried them as yet. Buffers are an odd one though i haven't sorted anything for them yet. Smoke box door is tiny too 10mm dia, i'll probably make one out of plasticard.

Dave

In the Michael Messenger's book, Caradon and Looe, there is a 3/4 rear cab view picture approximating your excellent  model, of Cheesewring circa 1899 outside the Moorswater shed.  The picture is not that good but maybe give you some idea, Dave.  They both were similar. 

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the photos of my model I think I must have turned all the buffers individually and set them on square pads, I don't do this sort of thing unless I absolutely have to though. I think the smokebox door might have been from one of my 3mm scale moulds, it's definitely a resin moulding.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian, i don't have the book but a little while trawling the internet and i think i found the very picture, its not super clear but good enough to give me an idea of what may have been there.

I have some white metal stepped buffers that i'll titivate with a file to approximately the right profile.

A little more done, the cab sides soldered onto the footplate, the space over the rear axles has been infilled and i added the stiffeners to the inside rear face of the coal bunker. A manifold, a few pipes, regulator and firehole added to the back head, i've a couple of gauges to make up to mount onto the cab spectacle plate and a Mainly trains reversing lever to fit.

Gearbox arrived today and so did my M1.5 x 3mm screws from Hong Kong for attaching the motor so i will put the chassis together and get the gearbox assembled with the motor. With the small extension on the firebox/backhead in the cab it gives me an additional few mm clearance to locate the drive on the rear axle as Mike had done with his. 

IMAG4686.jpg.a5fa49227523c9e431541abebef5aba0.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Rigid chassis went together very easily, high level roadrunner compact gearbox assembled and one of the new Chinese 10 x 20 motors. I've just assembled it all with a set of 16mm Dia Romford wheels to make sure its all ok. I have a set of Gibson's but will put those on once the chassis is painted. I decided to mount the boiler bottom onto the chassis, this allows the motor to sit inside with nothing showing. The only draw back is that the boiler support which sits on the footplate has to be split and cut back to allow it to pass when fitting the chassis to it, but it's difficult to see once they are together.

IMAG4694.jpg.7d2c041a82fd8379734dfde628bbbda2.jpg

Next up are the cylinders, slide rods etc, brake assembly and buffers.

Dave 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

At the risk of expanding this even further, Caradon isn't the only L&C loco I've built.

1458245382_04-10Cheesewringfl.JPG.eaccdec032d215f87ae5f41887d556a3.JPG

143176874_04-11Kilmarbl.JPG.e43b446acc7e264fb0ef1856f6801014.JPG

Ian Rathbone has a photo of Kilmar painted in his gallery.

Did you really have to put that up as well!!!

Regards,

Craig

• Funny 4