Gilkes and Co Liskeard & Caradon 0-6-0 ST

k22009

• RMweb Gold

After a busy few days i managed to get some more done. The slide bars are very close together on this loco, i usually use one of the off the self options like Comet or Markits but with this i have made my own up from 1.5mm x 1mm x 0.3 thick brass channel section cut up and soldered to a small piece of scrap nickel silver etch, i shaped this at the piston rod end so that a small 1.5mm dia tube sat over the end and with a 0.9mm dia piston rod it was all soldered up, very quickly so that nothing came apart., I've since trimmed the piston rod length down so it fits inside the cylinders. I should have probably reduced the size of the pin attaching the con rod ( i may still do that as it does look a little gargantuan).

IMAG4752.jpg.e16395e7015942a513f8e234ad0aaf8b.jpg

Rolling the cylinder wrapper was tricky and soldering to the the cylinder etch was awkward more than anything else.  But with them positioned on the frames everything lined up nicely with the center line of the piston rod running through the middle of the center driver axle.

IMAG4754.jpg.5bde4afe8653235a0aa2aaa546074261.jpg

I also managed to make up the prominent shaped tool boxes that sit on the front of the footplate next to the smoke box along with unprototypical  (but all i'd got) sand box fillers and operating levers which i'll connect up with some flat and trim back once the tank and footplate assemblies are fitted together.

IMAG4753.jpg.34e0979da9f88b17ca6a71af79f6dca0.jpg

I've given the chassis a good wash now so i'll get that primed and painted before i do too much more, i can then fit the wheels, brakes and pickups then.

Dave

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I managed to get the chassis primed and while its hardening and before the top coat i decided to join the footplate assembly to the saddle tank.

Handrails, sandboxes with operation levers, filler, dome, chimney and brake standard were added along with a scratch made smoke box door. Buffer beams with the buffer housings soldered on, I will add the smoke door straps and hinge later from plastic strip and rod for the hinge, the safety valve is just sitting there as this will be glued on after painting as i'll leave it in its natural state along with the whistle.

IMAG4756.jpg.2ae75e5616a9b720c89230a2a99b78da.jpg

I'm not sure what the actual livery of the loco was, i've read that some were the Liskeard and Looe locos/coaches was Royal blue with scarlet lining. From some of the photos of Caradon the lining was quite prominent and on others non existent which would suit me as it will be weathered anyway.

Dave

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Manx Cat said:

It's looking wonderful. Did you buy in any of the fittings and, if so, what maker and which sort?

I bought the buffers as i was not successful in modifying some white metal ones i had, these are SR stepped flavour. All of the other major items chimney, dome, filler, safety valve, whistle, door dart (not yet fitted) and brake standard i borrowed from my spares box. I used mainly trains etch strip and also some items from the cab detailing.

Items which needed scratch building were the crossheads, slide bars (0.75mm sq brass bar) some nickel silver strip for the splashers (most of which came from the edges of the etch sheet) and sand box sides and sandbox operating levers (1mm wide), plasticard for the smoke box door, some brass sheet for the smokebox itself and the backhead. 

I think the trickiest item to get will be a suitable chimney most of the others are fairly easy to pick up and suppliers like 247 developements should be able to supply most of them, however as there are no photos on the website it might be better to try to buy when they are at a show so you can see what you are getting. The dome, filler and safety valve need to have a fairly shallow bottom as its a larger diameter saddle tank rather than a boiler they are fitted to. RT models do fittings for some industrial locos they may be worth looking at.

Dave

On 24/11/2019 at 20:09, k22009 said:

I'm not sure what the actual livery of the loco was, i've read that some were the Liskeard and Looe locos/coaches was Royal blue with scarlet lining. From some of the photos of Caradon the lining was quite prominent and on others non existent which would suit me as it will be weathered anyway.

Could how visible the lining is in the photos depend on how good the particular film or photographic plate was at picking up red? In other words the lining was always visible, but the film didn't record it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_film#Spectral_sensitivity

Lovely looking model by the way. 

• RMweb Gold

Gibson wheels on after i had painted the chassis but they fouled the inside of the cylinder housing so i had to trim that back both sides a little between the frames and the slide bars. In EM there's not a huge amount of room between slide bars and the front axle crankpin, but it just squeezes by. I found it was a necessity to keep the cylinder housing, slide bars and slide bar bracket assembly loose until the wheels are on as it would be pretty difficult to get them on and quarter them if not. Everything is just about done now so i'll wait a while for a warmer day to prime it all. Once finished i can then paint and add the nameplates which Mike includes on the etch.

IMAG4766.jpg.c9c3f9fdf97b72265d87076b09c059c4.jpg

IMAG4765.jpg.c95e785743571ff742b771d5622cfecc.jpg

Dave

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Very nice indeed - and so quickly done! I wonder whether the smokebox dart could be finer though. For small locos like this make them up from N Gauge handrail knobs - which are shoulderless - and it makes a significant difference. I have some somewhere f you'd like?

Adam

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Adam said:

Very nice indeed - and so quickly done! I wonder whether the smokebox dart could be finer though. For small locos like this make them up from N Gauge handrail knobs - which are shoulderless - and it makes a significant difference. I have some somewhere f you'd like?

Adam

Thanks very much indeed, you're right the dart is a little healthy it was the smallest i had in my parts box, TBH i hadn't even thought about using 2mm parts. You're offer is very kind but i think i've found some at https://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/fitall.html#WIRE which as you say will look much finer. They will be good to keep in my spares box for other kits.

Thanks again

Dave

• Like 2

Guest Lyonesse

Gilkes & Co. usually refers to Gilkes of Kendal --- surprisingly, still in business, and still making water turbines.  This was founded in 1853 by Gilbert Gilkes.  The Liskeard and Caradon locomotives were built by Gilkes, Wilson & Co, of Middlesbrough, which was founded by Edgar Gilkes (Gilbert Gilkes' uncle) and Isaac Wilson in 1844.

4 hours ago, Lyonesse said:

Gilkes & Co. usually refers to Gilkes of Kendal --- surprisingly, still in business, and still making water turbines.  This was founded in 1853 by Gilbert Gilkes.  The Liskeard and Caradon locomotives were built by Gilkes, Wilson & Co, of Middlesbrough, which was founded by Edgar Gilkes (Gilbert Gilkes' uncle) and Isaac Wilson in 1844.

There is a book, by Fred Harman, and published by Century Locoprints, about the History and Locomotives of the Tees Engine Works, the Gilkes, Wilson & Hopkins partnerships, if anyone wants to find out more.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...