New siding(s) at Feltham?

The Pilotman

• RMweb Gold

I travelled into Feltham by train last week and was quite surprised to see some fairly extensive work going on to clear land on the down side a short distance east of the station with at least one new siding. There was a train sitting in there with a 66 at each end but I couldn’t really make out what was going on. I know there used to be a stabling siding on the down side east of the station which appears to have been lifted but this was further east, I think. Anybody know what they're up to there?

It does seem incredible how this huge site has remained largely unused for nearly 60 years. It must be worth a considerable amount for redevelopment - which seems to have been the fate of many similar sites far less attractive to the developers.

One proposal that was worked on soon after closure of the marshalling yards was as a large fuel depot - after all it is close to Heathrow [My Dad worked in BRB on the movement of oil on rail], Seeing the effect of a possibly similar installation at Hemel Hempstead I'm sure the people of Feltham and Whitton were very grateful it never happened!

Incidentally Feltham had one of the shortest lived diesel depots - separate to the old steam shed and I'm not sure a photo of it has yet to turn up - The Wagon Study Group of the Staines MRS :) visited Feltham twice, in 1967 and 1968 but I don't know that anyone took a snap of this little installation. The marshalling yard closed soon afterwards, replaced by Acton.

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=feltham

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Additional berthing for SWR and its successors and possibly to replace the nearby and awkwardly-sited Strawberry Hill depot which nowadays sees only a few trains berthed and is only accessible via a level crossing over the Shepperton branch or, for pedestrian staff, by walkway alongside and then crossing the line at Strawberry Hill station.

It has been suggested that facilities at Strawberry Hill will not be suitable for the new class 701 units.

• Informative/Useful 2