Hornby class 31 mazak rot

GWR-fan

Hopefully,  the elephant in the room is obvious to all and no one is unaware of the issues with this model.  I feel that the price is extravagant considering the usefulness of this model.  The chassis may be of use to some but at  much less cost.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/496258/hornby_r2413_po03_class_31_31270_in_br_blue_weathered_pre_owned_slow_runner_cracks_in_bodywork_/stockdetail.aspx

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, pendlerail said:

I love the way they seem to be offering it DCC fitted or Sound fitted! What is the point if the chassis is knackered? 

Their 'linked sales' promotional system is on automatic...

53 minutes ago, 90rob said:

Well the description is honest enough, but I don't think it does Hattons reputation any favours to offer such an item at such a price - after all, it is virtually scrap.

Impaired for sure, but if my experience is anything to go by,  and I have purchased four chassis in Mazak rotted condition at more modest prices, the drive still works as well as any centre motor drive type.

So for a buyer prepared to repair any body damage, and modify the chassis as required so it won't damage the repaired body; there's a model for much less than new that will run well for years to come.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It goes to show how in demand a plain blue headcode 31 is...

i’d pay a lot more for a plain blue BR headcode version.

We were so near but so far from it in 2019 with the headcode disc one, and more than one shop was considering a limited edition but came to nought.

Hopefully someday.

For this one, take out the motor, drive and bogies, put it in your Lima or Railroad Hornby one instead... 

As is,  GBP75.00 is far too expensive.  I have previously grafted a complete affected chassis into a Lima body with success,  but would not consider more than GBP50.00 as a reasonable price point as the description of the drive as a slow runner has me concerned that the chassis degradation is more than the obvious cab floor extensions separating from the main chassis part.  Perhaps the main body of the chassis has been impacted making the loco useful only for a motor and the bogies which could be purchased as spares for less than the asking price of the model.

The body endwalls could be successfully reglued and the chassis rebuilt omitting the cab floor extensions,  assuming the cause of the slow running could be determined,  however,  one would be taking a risk when for not much more a functional loco of a similar vintage could be sourced.  

Edit:  as a precaution I just checked my Lima converted class 31 using a chassis from a Dutch livery loco that was part of the three initial model numbers that were impacted.  Fortunately,  all seems OK,  so it seems that apart from the cab floor extensions breaking off the chassis is intact.  For the damaged class 31 Dutch livery body I reglued the cab ends and purchased a replacement later version chassis.  All up a costly exercise.

Edited by GWR-fan

On 31/10/2019 at 09:20, GWR-fan said:

Hopefully,  the elephant in the room is obvious to all and no one is unaware of the issues with this model.  I feel that the price is extravagant considering the usefulness of this model.  The chassis may be of use to some but at  much less cost.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/496258/hornby_r2413_po03_class_31_31270_in_br_blue_weathered_pre_owned_slow_runner_cracks_in_bodywork_/stockdetail.aspx

I saw this too and considered posting, surely the know about Mazak rot and what to call it.

Would the chassis be of use, perhaps the bogies, wheels and motor but it's the chassis expanding that is splitting the body.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I saw this too and considered posting, surely the know about Mazak rot and what to call it.

Would the chassis be of use, perhaps the bogies, wheels and motor but it's the chassis expanding that is splitting the body.

Hopefully, the only problem is the thin fragile floor cab extensions have broken off,  but to break off there must be expansion in the main chassis casting causing an increase in chassis length resulting in the body cracking.  As the chassis is described as a poor runner then there is obviously more going on. For under GBP50.00 I would possibly consider it for a conversion, 

Edited by GWR-fan
Additional info
  • Agree 1

I pulled my D5512 out a couple of weeks back.  I had separated the body from the chassis back in 2009 to keep it from splitting when I discovered the floor cab extensions had broken.  After 10 more years the rot level was profound, I was able to remove the motor by simply breaking the center of the chassis apart with my fingers.  The rot had now even impacted the buffers, they were warping badly.  There is not anything left but the shell, bogies, and drive train.  

• Friendly/supportive 2

Suddenly my 31268 brought new for £55 from Hattons a good 5 years or so back is looking a real bargin more so now than back then.

The slow running drive could be just needing drops of oïl on the bearings at the top of drive system of each bogie (they dry out quite often on mine).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...