• RMweb Gold

Not strictly our own titles, but as we share the same warehouse in Bedford with Irwell Press we have done a deal to stock all of their range too, many with exclusive discounts of 35% off the RRP. We are still open for mail order via our website www.strathwood.co.uk and by telephone on 01463 234004.

All deliveries as ever are well packed and sent via the Royal Mail direct to your doorstep, so go ahead treat yourself and relieve the boredom.

Kevin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Why not take advantage of our special offers and treat yourself for these long days ahead.

SPECIAL OFFER FOR EASTER order any five or more books and the lowest priced book will be FREE of charge

Check out our increased range of titles with ample stocks available from our warehouse which we share with Irwell Press, with many exclusive bargains to be enjoyed just now.

Our efficient Mail Order service will continue to operate from our warehouse facility in Bedford.

clipart736985.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We are pleased to announce that delivery of the much delayed volumes of Southern Electrics 1948 - 1972 to our warehouse is set for Tuesday 21st April, we will start shipping them from the following day to the approx 300 of you out there waiting patiently. Thanks for your patience while we worked through these troubles to get them delivered.

Kevin

364514043_SOUTHERNELECTRICSVOL1.jpg.f4e4831a1a18445c02c91f839536a1f3.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Virus permitting Sixties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered VII, Seventies Diesel & Electric Days Remembered III, Eighties Diesel & Electric Days Remembered also two books on Deltics and Class 50s.

All destined for Q4 this year.

Kevin

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

I've really been looking forward to the Southern Electrics 1948 - 1972 Volume II book. Any clues as to what lines are included in this volume? Any Central Division lines in Sussex on the South Coast on the East Coastway Line or are the majority of photos in suburban London?

• RMweb Gold

We will be shipping them out from Tuesday afternoon so I will leave it to those who are to receive copies to review as I have been given some stick on another thread when I was trying to help a fellow enthusiast out. Next up is a large 240 page tome on the Woodhead Electrics with some cracking material not seen before. Keep the faith.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/04/2020 at 12:26, Strathwood said:

We are pleased to announce that delivery of the much delayed volumes of Southern Electrics 1948 - 1972 to our warehouse is set for Tuesday 21st April, we will start shipping them from the following day to the approx 300 of you out there waiting patiently. Thanks for your patience while we worked through these troubles to get them delivered.

Kevin

Pleased to say that my copies of Southern Electrics Volume 1 and 2 arrived in West Yorkshire earlier this morning courtesy of DPD Local.

A quick flip through the pages shows them both to be well worth the wait. :good_mini:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/04/2020 at 16:06, Ben04uk said:

Cheers, only three things are certain in life; death, taxes; and that you'll get negative comments from model railway enthusiasts! 

Errrm, isn't that four things? :)

2 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Errrm, isn't that four things? :)

Just now, Ben04uk said:

no, definitely only three!

1. Death

2. Taxes

3. negative comments from model railway enthusiasts! 

Oh yeah - I read 'life' as the first one in the list; D'Oh.

Back in mi box......

On 29/04/2020 at 11:58, 4630 said:

Pleased to say that my copies of Southern Electrics Volume 1 and 2 arrived in West Yorkshire earlier this morning courtesy of DPD Local.

A quick flip through the pages shows them both to be well worth the wait. :good_mini:

Can you give us a clue as to what lines are covered in both Southern Electrics Volume 1 and 2 ? Any photos from East Sussex?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ben04uk said:

Can you give us a clue as to what lines are covered in both Southern Electrics Volume 1 and 2 ? Any photos from East Sussex?

The content for both volumes is laid out by EMU class, including electric and electro-diesel locomotives which are also included in volume 2.

From that viewpoint, the lines that each type of EMU and locomotive worked along during their lives is featured to some degree.  

There are certainly photos of Brighton, as you would expect, with 4-LAVs, 5-BEL and 6-PUL.  There also several of the booster electric locos and other EMUs at other locations in East Sussex too.

As a general observation only a handful of photos in total, from across both volumes, already feature in the numerous books that I already have about Southern Electrics.  For that alone both of these volumes are, for me at least, good value.  I appreciate though that, as they say, ‘your mileage may differ’.

Edited by 4630
The usual typo.

On 30/04/2020 at 19:32, 4630 said:

The content for both volumes is laid out by EMU class, including electric and electro-diesel locomotives which are also included in volume 2.

From that viewpoint, the lines that each type of EMU and locomotive worked along during their lives is featured to some degree.  

There are certainly photos of Brighton, as you would expect, with 4-LAVs, 5-BEL and 6-PUL.  There also several of the booster electric locos and other EMUs at other locations in East Sussex too.

As a general observation only a handful of photos in total, from across both volumes, already feature in the numerous books that I already have about Southern Electrics.  For that alone both of these volumes are, for me at least, good value.  I appreciate though that, as they say, ‘your mileage may differ’.

Thanks for the summary. I know the photos are all black and white but are they entirely from the Green era or are there several in blue and grey livery?

On 19/04/2020 at 15:44, Strathwood said:

We will be shipping them out from Tuesday afternoon so I will leave it to those who are to receive copies to review as I have been given some stick on another thread when I was trying to help a fellow enthusiast out. Next up is a large 240 page tome on the Woodhead Electrics with some cracking material not seen before. Keep the faith.

Kevin

When can you say more about the Woodhead book?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ben04uk said:

Thanks for the summary. I know the photos are all black and white but are they entirely from the Green era or are there several in blue and grey livery?

No, not entirely from the green era.

The B&W photos are of subjects that were either BR(S) green or BR blue, with or without front yellow panels, as appropriate.  The only photo of an EMU that is in blue/grey is of a 4-CEP.  

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, woodenhead said:

When can you say more about the Woodhead book?

Its over 240 pages has superb large landscape style photographs of every Class 76 & 77 from 1952 to 1982 to include the scrapping of the 76s, it covers we think all of the livery variations to be seen. Using what we believe to be previously unseen top quality fresh material in black & white throughout and will weigh in at £39.95, once again with a reduced print run. Due to situation of the delays due to the virus inflicted upon deliveries of the two Southern Electrics titles, I will put Woodhead Lament up on the website once we can be 100% sure of a delivery date this time around.

Also coming soon extending the Steam's Lament series will be volumes on both the Eastern and North Eastern Region's engine sheds, never fear the other regions will get the treatment too. This series of black & white books is projected to be very conclusive so don't miss the earlier issues as we will not be doing reprints.

Meanwhile take advantage of the clear-out in the warehouse in Bedford as we reduce back catalogue stocks of both ours and Irwell Press titles to make room for a large number of fresh titles, full details of the bargains are to be found on our website.

Kevin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My independent review of these two books.

Southern Electrics 1948 -1972 Vol I, by Kevin Derek, ISBN 978-1-913390-06-8
Southern Electrics 1948 -1972 Vol II by Kevin Derek, ISBN 978-1-913390-07-5

These lovely books arrived this week from Cath and Amy at Booklaw.

Of the two I like volume one better than volume two, mainly because of the subject matter. These two photo album books contain photos of trains taken after 1948 which I quite like, all photos are black and white. As the titles suggest the trains in these photos are in real liveries not the later day candy stripes. Volume one covers the units built before WW2, who cannot like a 2NOL or a LB&SCR bodied 4SUB with a Bulleid augmented trailer. The photos of the 2 BILs and 2 HALs on the Reading and Aldershot services bring back memories of traveling to see my Nan and Granddad in Frimley. There was a side corridor to the loo but no gangway to the next coach, how I odd I use to think. The 4 COR photos also reminded me of seeing them at speed with the end board on the gangway bouncing about independently to the rest of the train. The photos are of a very high standard, those not taking a whole page are also very large and the captions very informative, but concise so do not take up much page space. Unlike some other recent books I have purchased there is very little wasted page space and it is pleasant to view the pages. 

Volume two is also very well laid out with good photos. It covers the units built post WW2 by the SR and BR. My reasoning for saying it isn't as good as volume one is about half of it is taken up with the small number of electric locomotives the SR had. There are seven photos of 20003, but only two of the 4CIG/4BIG units. That is my preference for photos of units not locomotives. Other people may feel that Kevin has the balance right.

My only other criticism of both volumes is Kevin has given withdrawal dates and scrapping history for most of the units and locos featured. This is a gripe I have with many steam locomotive books, I feel if people need to know this information it is available elsewhere. Again other people may disagree with me.

If you model the SR at the more historical end of the D&E spectrum , buy these books. If you like well produced photo albums of SR units, buy these books. If you like a good book on any railway subject , buy these books.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a heads up that a number of the Irwell Press book titles absorbed into our range are about to go out of print, therefore a last chance shopping expedition to our website might be wise if you want to catch them before its too late. Six titles have now all sold out from the warehouse and are now out of print in the last week alone.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Three new titles just arrived in stock, The Book of the Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2Ts £32.95 from Irwell Press and these two from The Transport Treasury, Traction Times: An Early BR Traction Miscellany £14.50 and The Southern around London. The R C Riley Archive 1937 - 1964 Vol. 4 £14.50 all three titles are ideal for modellers and enthusiasts alike, full details on our website along with a host of our special offers.

Kevin

Ivatt_2MT_TANKS.jpg

SR London.jpg

Traction-cover-V6.jpg

• RMweb Gold
On 22/05/2020 at 10:52, Strathwood said:

Just a heads up that a number of the Irwell Press book titles absorbed into our range are about to go out of print, therefore a last chance shopping expedition to our website might be wise if you want to catch them before its too late. Six titles have now all sold out from the warehouse and are now out of print in the last week alone.

Kevin

Hi, as a bookseller, could you confirm that these titles are no longer available direct from Irwell (either via their website or phone) and that you are now the only source of these titles?

http://irwellpress.com/