what was the floor made of in BR sand wagons?

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

the title really says it all.

I have the Bachmann set of three of these: https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brsand/e30b3f669

the internal floor is just plain plastic which just doesnt look right.  i know i could add a load, but if i leave it empty, should the internal floor be wooden planks or plain steel? If steel, how best to represent it?

BTW, i assume its a steel floor, but I am just checking....

• RMweb Gold

Steel floor AFAIK, and it needs to be weathered unless the wagon is to be portrayed ex-works.  Sand is abrasive and acidic, so the look you need is shiny metal where the paint has been ground off and rust patches where it’s got wet and oxidised.  A bit of smudged ‘streaking’ to give the impression of the load sliding out as the wagon is tipped will make the whole thing a bit vague, and hence easier. 

• Agree 1

Most steel vehicle floors, subjected to loads and impacts, also sag significantly between supports. Check out the next flatbed truck you see for a real world example. This also results in, eg, bright scoured lines on the high lines where a vehicle is unloaded by bucket or grab. 

On 02/11/2019 at 01:54, PatB said:

Most steel vehicle floors, subjected to loads and impacts, also sag significantly between supports. Check out the next flatbed truck you see for a real world example. This also results in, eg, bright scoured lines on the high lines where a vehicle is unloaded by bucket or grab. 

..... less so when unloaded by a guy with a shovel - which was more likely in them there days !