Pairing Heljan Class 20's

TheSnapper

I have 2 Heljan O Gauge Class 20's
I am going to remove one motor from each loco to enable me to use 00/H0 Sound decoders.
I intend to run them as a pair using DCC Advanced Consisting, so ideally need to fit identical decoders in each.
Is there a sound project available containing 2 switchable versions of Class 20 sound so that each loco sounds can be subtly different.

Or any other suggestions?

Cheers

Tim

I have fitted a Zimo MX645R to one of my class 20's. I have used both motors and it works fine. The current draw seems to flicker about from 0.6A to 1.0 Amp. It only potters about in a shunting yard but it has never exceeded the 1.2 amp rating of the decoder.

On 02/11/2019 at 08:34, TheSnapper said:

I have 2 Heljan O Gauge Class 20's
I am going to remove one motor from each loco to enable me to use 00/H0 Sound decoders.
I intend to run them as a pair using DCC Advanced Consisting, so ideally need to fit identical decoders in each.
Is there a sound project available containing 2 switchable versions of Class 20 sound so that each loco sounds can be subtly different.

Or any other suggestions?

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

I have created a matched pair (Unit A and Unit B) for Class 20s on ZIMO. Sounds eminate from 'appropriate end' only, depending upon direction of travel. Different sounds depending upon direction, lights not illuminated at the couple ends and so on.

Here's an example:

Have a word with Jeremy at Digitrains to see if it fits your requirements.

If you intend to remove one motor, a good option for indoor short train layouts, try an MX645P22 with an ADAPLU adapter. The adapter replaces the Heljan PCB (which is a good thing, in my opinion) and the decoder remains a plug-in device. Best of all, continuous power rating goes up from 1.2A to 1.8A with the adapter.

Best regards,

Paul

I have a pair of 20s fitted with ESU decoders from Legomanbiffo. (DC Kits)

Like the above they are a matched pair with the correct sounds coming from the correct loco depending on direction.

They're the best sounding 20s in my opinion but then sound is a very subjective subject.

I'd recommend listening to a few projects at shows. I know both DC Kits and Digitrains both have facilities to hear sound projects in the flesh at shows.