Heljan announce centre-headcode Class 40 in O

AY Mod

• Moderators

**O GAUGE ANNOUNCEMENT**

unnamed (1).jpg

As promised, HELJAN is announcing a new O gauge diesel at the Modern Image O Gauge (MIOG) show in Rawtenstall. Appropriately for a show in the north-west of England, it's a class that was closely associated with that area. Our popular English Electric Type 4/Class 40 is back by popular demand, but this time as the centre headcode variant, as seen on the last 55 members of the class (D345-399).

Design and tooling work was completed recently and the first running samples will be delivered to the UK for testing in early-November. Five liveries will be available from mid-2020, covering the entire BR career of the class. The models will feature a ‘DCC Friendly’ chassis, LED lighting, a heavy duty chassis with twin motors and flywheels and fine detail specific to these later-built EE Type 4s.

unnamed.jpg

#4060 BR green 'as delivered' unnumbered

unnamed (2).jpg

#4061 BR green (small yellow panels) unnumbered

unnamed (3).jpg

#4062 BR green with full yellow ends unnumbered

unnamed (4).jpg

#4063 BR blue with full yellow ends and headcode display unnumbered

unnamed (5).jpg

#4064 BR blue 40155 with 'domino' headcodes

unnamed (6).jpg

Prices will be confirmed shortly.

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Sun Chariot said:

...........................and with the same glaring errors as before

What errors are you referring to? Rather than just make some cheap sweeping statement at least have the decency and clarity to highlight any areas of concern.

Some people...

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

My comment would be are the front cab windows still at the wrong angle ie too steep/vertical?

Good to have a centre headcode 40 on the way but I hope I don’t have to cut the windows out, reposition, filler etc but expect that could be the case.

We will see I suppose....

• Agree 2

Probably too much to hope for that the windows get sorted this time around. As on the new 37/4, where wrongly positioned detail was carried over, I imagine they will perpetuate the error to avoid the old version looking different to the new. 

The window angle was to my eyes at least a "glaring error". 

Edited by The Ghost of IKB
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, delticfan said:

Can Ben Jones work his magic please, probs with the last one were windows and door heights otherwise a nice model. Banger blue for me if they get it right......

Those interested are likely better off making their views known directly (posts to forums are easy to be overlooked), but it could also depend on if it is entirely new tooling or are they merely modifying the existing tooling.

Personally I am really looking forward to this - it says tooling is completed so we are stuck with the errors it seems. The later versions of their 37 was pretty much based around the original 37 so this will be the same. Not ideal for many rivot counters but it is ‘Railway Modelling’ after all so we can all improve the basic model. 

Hopefully the back to backs backs on this one are correct do it goes through the standard Peco pointwork without the problems the original disc version suffered from!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I’m looking forward to it too. I’m sure it has errors - but no more than those on my JLTRT fleet, lovingly, but cack-handedly constructed by yours truly over many hours and and at substantial cost. And it will come with the superb Heljan chassis and mechanism - the best in O gauge and OO by a country mile. 

One thing though; I notice from the CAD drawings that one end only has the pronounced hang-down above the buffer beam and below the head code.  I think that is correct for locos which once had front-end doors, and later were converted so as to carry the head code box,  but I think that locos built with the centre head code box from new had a flat-bottomed front end (as does one end of the CAD). Am I right?

PM

Lol cack handed you do your self an injustice but I know what you mean I have and will continue to overlook the odd error on Heljan models as it’s a lot less hassle than building one and at £540 a steal really. Now I won’t extend that to the Deltic as I can’t bring myself to buy one it’s that bad IMHO....The hang down was a throw back to nose end corridor door usually seen on accident damaged examples where the nose was rebuilt, an interesting point on the production model but would seriously numbering choices, need to look into that one...

Edited by delticfan

Just had a look at nose ends a lot of locos around about 40060 had flat bottoms at both ends with headcode boxes suggesting maybe a late production or works modification but I can’t find one yet with one end only. 40058 had a right mess at one end and discs at the other. Can anyone find a loco with different end details don’t fancy trawling through the whole fleet I want to go to the pub!

2 hours ago, uk_pm said:

I’m looking forward to it too. I’m sure it has errors - but no more than those on my JLTRT fleet, lovingly, but cack-handedly constructed by yours truly over many hours and and at substantial cost. And it will come with the superb Heljan chassis and mechanism - the best in O gauge and OO by a country mile. 

One thing though; I notice from the CAD drawings that one end only has the pronounced hang-down above the buffer beam and below the head code.  I think that is correct for locos which once had front-end doors, and later were converted so as to carry the head code box,  but I think that locos built with the centre head code box from new had a flat-bottomed front end (as does one end of the CAD). Am I right?

PM

Yes you are. The modified locos were scottish based, haymarket i think. Whats more the new boxes had square corners rather than rounded, although numbers 40060,61 and 65 had the rectangular box replaced at some point to the standard curved corners.

1 hour ago, delticfan said:

Just had a look at nose ends a lot of locos around about 40060 had flat bottoms at both ends with headcode boxes suggesting maybe a late production or works modification but I can’t find one yet with one end only. 40058 had a right mess at one end and discs at the other. Can anyone find a loco with different end details don’t fancy trawling through the whole fleet I want to go to the pub!

Depends what you mean by flat bottom? 40060 still has the slightly extended cab front, where the doors once went. As did all the other conversions, i seem to remember there were 5 of them.  Edit - THERE WERE 7 OF THEM D260 TO D266.

As seen here,

https://www.twipu.com/SalopianLyne/tweet/1157391606124810240

If that cad is the finished article then its wrong. There were no locos with the drop at one end only.

Yes I agree with you been trawling pics and can’t find one with different end details. Nice touch if they did something quirky though. What liveries you guys going for, blue for me late 70s early 80s. Think I need a bigger house lol.......it’ll be the peaks next then 47s then 56s oh no 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/11/2019 at 10:49, AY Mod said:

What errors are you referring to? Rather than just make some cheap sweeping statement at least have the decency and clarity to highlight any areas of concern.

Some people...

The upright angle of the cab glazing drew comment originally: someone on here had a crack at remodelling that rather bravely!

(For some reason the replies above saying the same thing didnt show when i posted this)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/11/2019 at 17:45, Hal Nail said:

The upright angle of the cab glazing drew comment originally: someone on here had a crack at remodelling that rather bravely!

(For some reason the replies above saying the same thing didnt show when i posted this)

I think that could have been me you were referring to

Here is 40068 with corrected angle of the front cab windows.

In time I will no doubt be doing a repeat job for the centre headcode version

37771273-3F3F-4C64-8620-0DDC32EA6F3B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, deltic17 said:

When you see modelling that good it's almost worth them getting something wrong in the first place!

I'm still toying with cutting the old 47 cab in half and widening it!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

When you see modelling that good it's almost worth them getting something wrong in the first place!

I'm still toying with cutting the old 47 cab in half and widening it!

Thanks.

I sold all my old 47's in the hope that they get the new one spot on. Fingers crossed!

It is amazing what can be done to improve the standard production model....

On 03/11/2019 at 12:09, The Ghost of IKB said:

Yes you are. The modified locos were scottish based, haymarket i think. Whats more the new boxes had square corners rather than rounded, although numbers 40060,61 and 65 had the rectangular box replaced at some point to the standard curved corners.

Exactly so. The boxes with square corners are the same pattern as those on the refurbished NB type 2's that became 29's, which has always made me suspect they were done at St.Rollox as the Scottish works at the time.

John.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/11/2019 at 10:56, deltic17 said:

I think that could have been me you were referring to

In time I will no doubt be doing a repeat job for the centre headcode version

That looks really nice.

Any chance you could write up a small tutorial ref cut lines etc? I would like a 40 but would have to do the same as you., the incorrect angle just looks odd.

On 30/01/2020 at 20:54, Gary H said:

That looks really nice.

Any chance you could write up a small tutorial ref cut lines etc? I would like a 40 but would have to do the same as you., the incorrect angle just looks odd.

Hello & thanks for the comments.

I'm no expert at drawing lines on pictures but basically.....

1 - Put some masking tape across the windscreens to protect everything (rubbers etc) before carefully cutting with a thin saw

2 - Make one straight cut across the bonnet top as close to the windscreens/wipers as possible but without touching them - the masking tape helps with that

3 - Make a parallel (to the above) cut across the roof top (approx. 2-3mm behind the roof top

4 - Make a cut at an angle (about 45 degrees) beneath the driver/secondman window (with the 'glass' removed) and join up to the cut (2) above to release the windscreen (you have to cut slightly into the bodyside to achieve this)

5 - Glue the released section back in to place at the correct angle with a bit of careful filing needed on the bottom of the windscreen section to allow for the decreased cab angle.

6 - Lots of filler, sand, filler, sand to fill the various gaps (a long job) and remake the guttering (that was cut through) and then patch repaint. The more time spent doing step 6 the better the finish. 

7 - Remake the drivers and secondmans  windows to fit the cab new shape 

It is worth the effort, the patience of doing it is well rewarded. I have had so any good comments about 068.

When I do the next one I will try and take some photos as I go!

I have since transplanted another pair of HJ class 40 windsrceens into a HJ class 37 but that is another story....

Edited 2/2/20 to include point 7 re the windows which I'd forgotten about in the original script!

Edited by deltic17
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, delticfan said:

Complete admiration for taking a knife to a £550 loco.

Partly depends how much detail you are damaging. I chopped a hole in the roof of my 33 to do the original silencer but it's all within one panel so I figured worst case i could just fill it back in again!

10 hours ago, deltic17 said:

Hello & thanks for the comments.

I'm no expert at drawing lines on pictures but basically.....

1 - Put some masking tape across the windscreens to protect everything (rubbers etc) before carefully cutting with a thin saw

2 - Make one straight cut across the bonnet top as close to the windscreens/wipers as possible but without touching them - the masking tape helps with that

3 - Make a parallel (to the above) cut across the roof top (approx. 2-3mm behind the roof top

4 - Make a cut at an angle (about 45 degrees) beneath the driver/secondman window (with the 'glass' removed) and join up to the cut (2) above to release the windscreen (you have to cut slightly into the bodyside to achieve this)

5 - Glue the released section back in to place at the correct angle with a bit of careful filing needed on the bottom of the windscreen section to allow for the decreased cab angle.

6 - Lots of filler, sand, filler, sand to fill the various gaps (a long job) and remake the guttering (that was cut through) and then patch repaint. The more time spent doing step 6 the better the finish. 

It is worth the effort, the patience of doing it is well rewarded. I have had so any good comments about 068.

When I do the next one I will try and take some photos as I go!

I have since transplanted another pair of HJ class 40 windsrceens into a HJ class 37 but that is another story....

Which filler did you use?

michael