Heljan announce centre-headcode Class 40 in O

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
On 01/02/2020 at 11:01, deltic17 said:

Hello & thanks for the comments.

I'm no expert at drawing lines on pictures but basically.....

1 - Put some masking tape across the windscreens to protect everything (rubbers etc) before carefully cutting with a thin saw

2 - Make one straight cut across the bonnet top as close to the windscreens/wipers as possible but without touching them - the masking tape helps with that

3 - Make a parallel (to the above) cut across the roof top (approx. 2-3mm behind the roof top

4 - Make a cut at an angle (about 45 degrees) beneath the driver/secondman window (with the 'glass' removed) and join up to the cut (2) above to release the windscreen (you have to cut slightly into the bodyside to achieve this)

5 - Glue the released section back in to place at the correct angle with a bit of careful filing needed on the bottom of the windscreen section to allow for the decreased cab angle.

6 - Lots of filler, sand, filler, sand to fill the various gaps (a long job) and remake the guttering (that was cut through) and then patch repaint. The more time spent doing step 6 the better the finish. 

7 - Remake the drivers and secondmans  windows to fit the cab new shape 

It is worth the effort, the patience of doing it is well rewarded. I have had so any good comments about 068.

When I do the next one I will try and take some photos as I go!

I have since transplanted another pair of HJ class 40 windsrceens into a HJ class 37 but that is another story....

Edited 2/2/20 to include point 7 re the windows which I'd forgotten about in the original script!

Thank you for this, very useful info!!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Got my banger blue 40155 this morning. My heart missed a beat when I saw weathered written on the box, not to worry it isn’t. Overall a good looking model it’s a right lump and weigh a ton. Only issue is the head code glass is a bit rough at the edges and the dots look a bit wonky but these are easy fixes so will sort out tomorrow. I know the 40 has issues with body shape etc but it’s not really worth building a kit for just a pity the 47 isn’t looking as good, Heljan can do a good job when they set their minds to it. I think these will sell out quickly!

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisingly, it has all been a bit quiet on here after the centre headcode 40's have appeared apart from one message above, even though they appear to be selling really well. Overall I think they have done a reasonable job (apart from the angle of the cab windows as ever but I will fix that as per my work on 40068 further up this thread). The one thing Heljan captured on the original disc headcode version was the slight tapering of the nose at the front (it slopes very slightly outwards towards the bottom) but the latest model is very straight down almost vertical (they made this mistake on the original centre headcode 37 too) - so I think at some point I will be making some additional cuts at the sides of the yellow nose to enable this to be corrected to hopefully make an even better 40. No guarantees of when I will start this work but I will take some pictures as I go this time as some of you requested last time when I showed my modifications.

I agree re wonky dominies with delticfan. On one end of my 40155 they are low but I always remake my own in any case so not a major problem.

My only other comment is that the yellow end seem a bit too orangey in my eyes so I will be toning mine down/fading it back with appropriate washes.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, deltic17 said:

apart from the angle of the cab windows as ever

Its clearly an optical illusion given they are the same, but I don't think they are as instantly noticeable on the centre headcode version. I suspect the headcode gives your eye another feature to look at.

13 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Its clearly an optical illusion given they are the same, but I don't think they are as instantly noticeable on the centre headcode version. I suspect the headcode gives your eye another feature to look at.

100% agree they are the same incorrectly angled cab windows - I think you misread what I was saying

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, deltic17 said:

I think you misread what I was saying

No I just worded it badly! I was saying although they are exactly the same as before, I personally don't think they look quite so obvious on this version.