Paris Metro in plasticard and 3d printed

L49

Why is it that I never think to start a topic when I start a project...? I get half way through, and think, "I'd like to have recorded that as it progressed!"

Well, I've done it again. This time it is a single car if Paris Metro MP55 stock which I am building in a hurry to run at the Kempston show next Saturday.

I did document the Sprague motor car which I built using home made brass etching equipment a year or so back, but this time I have opted to go back to the world of plasticard. I have tried a few innovations, which might be new to me, but I know are old news to many, especially using superglue instead of solvent to laminate sheets in an attempt to reduce warping. It sort of worked!

One aspect of these cars which I have tried to replicate is the double skinned sides. I have come to the conclusion that in HO it I is simply not worth it, although once the car is painted, I might change my mind...

20191102_111601.jpg.2aa6ced0829591c3aabf30c3d7b3d192.jpg

Ok. Here is the body so far. The sides are built up as three laminations. The outer and inner skins are identical, the middle skin contains the doors. On the prototype the doors slide back between the outer and inner skins of the body, which is only glazed on the inside, unlike contemporary London Underground stock, which used the door pockets effectively as a form.of double glazing. I have tried to show this door gap between the skins, but you have to look so closely to see it, I wonder if it was worth it...?

20191102_111540.jpg.a70b99b53e7ba85e8636c353335dcf28.jpg

The bogies are being 3d printed as I write. This was the first one off, and I have quickly put it together and dropped the wheelsets in. These are standard Hornby 12mm wheels which I had in stock ages ago, and the pneumatic tyres are from the spares box on the Langley stand. I am recycling them from the first attempt at MP55 stock which I had running a while ago, which is why they are already painted.

Edited by L49
  • Like 5

Not a bad day's work on the MP55 today. I had great plans, and possibly delusions of grandeur about making and spraying the car. Delusional, as I really wanted to produce a composite MsL car in the original livery of two tone blue for second class and cream for first. Also delusional, as on opening the toolbox I discovered that I had no jars for the airbrush with me...

I ended up opting to hand paint, which I hate doing, but knowing that the car needed to be finished asap I hadn't got much choice.

20191104_165706.jpg.8503a88b8b01c3303a873ad1925d8e12.jpg

It looked a bit rough last night to be honest, and I was pondering how to do the full length horizontal lining by hand to tidy it all up... especially as the blue is lined in cream and the cream in blue with a hopefully clean cut between them.

• Like 4

Eventually about 10.30 last night I remembered an old trick... address labels... now you try finding address labels at 10.30 on a Sunday night. I was lucky. I found one solitary label. It was duly painted half in cream and half in blue then left overnight.

This afternoon I cut the labels up into 1.5mm strips, and laid them. The cantrail strip was comparatively easy, just straight round, trying to keep the joints invisible.  The waist level stripe was more of a pain, having to be laid in and out of all the door recesses. Both have gone on tolerably straight, and I think it looks a lot better.

20191104_165657.jpg.4b62f3cb61c8eb44ef13ea2f4d345bfa.jpg

Finally for today was a drop of paint for the interior. The seats were truly horrible colours. Bright green for first class and bright orange for second. I had to make a trip to Hobbycraft to buy the paint, as I don't have anything quite so awful in my paint box already... see what you think.

20191104_165629.jpg.d8cb33de2b150d3ae85cbd6a154a2ea5.jpg

The two grey painted side pieces are an attempt to add some rigidity to the chassis. I was originally just going to have it a push fit into the body using the 1.5mm clear glazing which I haven't cut yet, for strength and levelling. After having the floor flopping all over the place while I was painting the seats, I have revised that plan and added the strengtheners. Hopefully they will all but disappear once the car is finished. 

Edited by L49
  • Like 5

... Ok. I now officially hate rattle can nozzles! Just trying to unclog the nozzle on what I took to be an unused can of aerosol varnish. Now also trying to clean the kitchen worktops to get the great splat of Humbrol satin off, and hoping that the airbrush cleaner which I am using to complete the task doesn't stain. Why do some projects seem to go like this...? Grrrrrr