Synchronising chuffs: ESU V3.5

philsandy

Have done this many times but with V4 decoders,  ie. number of seconds for one wheel rev. at speed step 1, divide by 0.128 and enter that value in CV57.

The instructions for the V3.5 differ:

image.png.ddbf6457290b35b97d80c9f0644aadf2.png

I don't really follow the example given in the last para:  0.9 seconds, for 1 rev at step1 ? and 14 - 5 = value 9?   Why is 5 subtracted from the value, there is no explanation in the instructions for this.

The loco I'm working on, a Hornby Black 5 sound on board model, takes 16.5 seconds for 1 rev, divided by 0.064 = 258. The range for CV57 is 0-127.

Please could someone explain, thanks.

• Like 1

I share your confusion.  I have several steam locos with Loksound v3.5 decoders but it is so long since I synchronised chuffs that I cannot remember how i did it.  However, why not experiment?  What happens if you put in value 127 to CV57?  If the chuffs are not right, try a lower value.

Sorry I can't solve the riddle.

Harold.

Just checked my spreadsheet records - perhaps this will help:  my Jinty has a value of 43 in CV57; my Brittannia has value 55.  I do not appear to have recorded the values for my other relevant locos - probably because i did not need to adjust them as all my decoders were fitted by the suppliers.

Harold.

12 hours ago, HLT 0109 said:

Just checked my spreadsheet records - perhaps this will help:  my Jinty has a value of 43 in CV57; my Brittannia has value 55.  I do not appear to have recorded the values for my other relevant locos - probably because i did not need to adjust them as all my decoders were fitted by the suppliers.

Harold.

Harold, thanks for your reply. I ended up with the following values: CV57 =  68, and CV58 =  36.

The example given in the manual makes no sense at all, I can only assume it's a typo. 

Also with the start voltage  CV2 = 1, although the loco ran superbly at step 1, a very smooth slow crawl, but the chuffs did not come in until step 3, so increased CV2 = 2.