GB4 gearbox

hayfield

I bought some items in a mixed lot, one was a DJH SR Mogul which surprisingly had a K's HP2M  motor fitted. also in with the lot was this incomplete gearbox with GB4 on the side

946.jpeg.4b553c4c0330884537f810ca140889af.jpeg943.jpeg.8eeec29f579c267d3c2897950da4bd91.jpeg

I am assuming that this is a DJH gearbox (though its not shown on their website) with a motor mount for a D11 motor, sadly its missing its worm and final drive gears

944.jpeg.2b5efc4b17b769bf9323f7839eb4f6fb.jpeg945.jpeg.cf20d5309a69e66b4db8edb4036dbb54.jpeg947.jpeg.9196450a08d1e2be05ffa33d3e30e999.jpeg

Please has anyone any ideas, I have sent an email off to DJH and awaiting their reply.

Firstly am I correct in my identification

Secondly if DJH cannot assist any thoughts on how I can bring this gearbox back into operation. as it looks too good to throw away

Edited by hayfield

20 minutes ago, DLT said:

Hi John,

Definitely a DJH box.  I remember seeing them a lot, although I never used one myself. 

Not sure what to suggest regarding the missing gears, apart from perhaps contacting Ultrascale for suggestions?

https://ultrascale.uk/

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks, if no go with DJH I will try Ultrascale

948.jpeg.d8994bd051e890fdffb0451ae755c646.jpeg

Why would someone fit a K's HP2M motor instead of this, the D11 motor was never used I guess the gears must have been misslayed ? Clearly the loco never ran with these pickups

949.jpeg.8e19a077b865118ce2a8cb1d69e6171f.jpeg

I will need to free up the linkage

950.jpeg.cf41550a0ecd883d4b70eff40833e2b8.jpeg

The chassis was stuck to the body, the bolt seems to have been either cut or broken in the nut, no nut at the other end.  Wheels also show signs of them being stuck to the track, thought at first the wheels had been damaged, but it was clear glue !!

The only DJH kit I have ever built a LSWR 0395  the instructions recommended a K's HP2M motor and gearbox I did try using one but gave up and fitted a DS10 motor and gearbox, this is still running today, at the time the kit was made I seen to recall that both companies were based in Banbury.

Edited by Robin Verth
Bad Grammer & Spelling

2 hours ago, Robin Verth said:

The only DJH kit I have ever built a LSWR 0395  the instructions recommended a K's HP2M motor and gearbox I did try using one but gave up and fitted a DS10 motor and gearbox, this is still running today, at the time the kit was made I seen to recall that both companies were based in Banbury.

Robin

That answers the question why use the K's motor, but asks another about the GB4 gearbox & D11 motor 

The K's motor some people swear by them others like me swear at them, unfortunately the plans and ideas of the original builder are unknown, the K's motor may have been used as it was more compact or an easier option at the time. 

The D11 motor is a good motor I have a couple of loco fitted with them  and are very good on DC systems, it is so far the one motor I have found to be almost impossible to convert to DCC, but to be fair when it was introduced there was no such thing as DCC, also there was a limited choice of motors/gearboxes at the time.

Robin

I have had very mixed experiences with the HP2M motors, still have a couple of motors which use them, but as a rule I move them on.  With the D11 they are much stronger motors and do work well, but they are make or brake depending on the motor mounts and gears used.

I am more of a fan of using gearboxes, having great success with either Comet, Branchlines or High Level gearboxes, aided with decent motors

I cannot see why D11 cannot be used with DCC providing a decent form of electrical connection can be made to the screws holding the brushes, but I accept they must be difficult to use

Thanks for the info

On the D11 one of the brush holders is bonded to the motor body, the motor shaft though isolated from the commutator is also live via the bearings, one way round is to fit isolated wheels on both sides, it is cheaper and easier to fit a modern motor and gearbox. 

If my collection of locos was ever sold the new owner would have the same question why was this motor/gearbox fitted when there was a far superior motor gearbox in the box, the answer I never got around to fitting it.

Thanks for that reply, never noticed this and has answered a shorting question on a kit built loco I bought, must have got lucky in fitting the odd one I used before. I decided in 4 mm scale not to go down the DCC route, having a small layout and not being bothered about sound there seems to be more more issues with DCC, as fault finding is far easier in DC

Edited by hayfield

Just had a short email reply from DJH, they do not support the GB4 box anymore.  As I have not bought anything from them its good of them to reply. Would be nice to get it going but I would need a final drive gear to fit a 1/8th" axle and a worm for a 1.5 mm shaft

I may have a chat with Chris Gibbon as the final drive looks similar to one I have in a High Level kit I have

• RMweb Premium

If its any encouragement, a few years ago I replaced a damaged nylon worm from a DJH gearbox with a brass worm from High Level and it worked out fine.

Afraid I can't give any dimension details or the gearbox model number as I no longer have the model concerned,  but I'd hope Chris Gibbon will be able to help you.

Best of luck with this.

Regards,

John

Edited by Brit70053
punctuation

EUREKA

i finally got round to trying the High Level Road Runner + final drive and it fitted

964.jpeg.fcad6fd85680a661a1240aadf1eaaeaf.jpeg

A quick twirl and the gears worked smoothly, next up I thought I would try my luck with the worm. The gearbox is set up for the D11 and I though the worm I had in the Roadrunner was a 1.5 mm one, but as luck would have it it was 2 mm, so the worm/motor was tried in the gear box and it turned out to be a bit tight, on inspection there was no bush for the shaft at the non motor end

966.jpeg.d583001c6b3b8f6db1993aa2f7df27c1.jpeg

I needed another gearbox so whilst ordering it I asked Chris if I could buy the spares I required 

A quick look in my draw with 2mm bushes showed I had at least 2 sizes and the 0.125 os diameter fitted like a glove and transformed the working

Its now running as sweet as a nut

965.jpeg

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 4

John

Thanks, I was very kindly advised to try Ultrascale's website. but I am afraid I have no idea what I am looking for. Also DJH were not available to assist.

Then a whole series of little coincidences occured and or lucky breaks happened. It started with paying a bit much on a hunce with a badly presented eBay listing, Stated as 00 gauge parts lot. starting bid £40 + £12 P&P, think the latter put most off. I saw in the background  a SR Mogul with decent motion, a Craftsman SR Schools chassis. Pack of HMRS transfers and a gearbox with no start or final gears, a D11 motor. I knew the Schools chassis was worth about £25, a Wills loco anything between £100 & £150 in parts and I have recently sold a couple of D11's for about £15. A fool and his money are easily parted

As It happens the Loco is a DJH U class (with a K's HP2M motor and frozen motion)  and a few other scraps. I will convert the loco to EM gauge (at a cost of £4.50 for 3 new axles and £5 pack of frame spacers, the HP2M will be disposed of, the D11 and gearbox will be fitted ( I guess Chris will charge me a fiver for the parts) I would have had to buy a replacement 1.5mm bore worm anyway, so my gamble seems to have paid off. 

Its also made me sort out my box of Romford gears, seems I have about 6 x 40-1 & 60-1 sets and 10 x 50-1 sets, mostly with 3/16" bore as I am selling most of my older style motors I guess they will go on eBay. As I am trying to standardise on can motors and gearboxes, most of my motors have either 1.5 or 2 mm shafts

• Like 2