What is this roofing/cladding material?

spikey

Milk to Morden

As per the heading, is this a form of Asbestolux sheeting or what?  And does anybody make anything like it in 4mm scale?

While I'm at it - sheet and batten roofing as in the Wills materials pack of that name.  What material is the real-life "sheet", and what sort of premises would be roofed in it?

Almost certainly cement asbestos sheets in the photo. The ridges help make it more rigid, minimising support framing. I have one sheet of what I think is Slater's Plastikard with a similar pattern on it, but I can't find it in their current lists. There are a few missing numbers though, I note.

RibbedPlasticSheet.jpg.83029a888af15f875831ad57c1bca1e6.jpg

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hah!  Thanks Bernard.  That Slater's stuff looks to be just what I need.  Wonder when they discontinued it ...

Anyhow - sheet and batten.  What was the "sheet" made of, and what sort of roofs is/was it used on?

• RMweb Premium

Back in the 1960's * I worked for an aluminium company.  The profile could be aluminium, I seem to remember that they produced sheets in a similar profile.  In that case the colour could be almost anything (anodised), but I suspect not coloured at all.

* Memory does play tricks though

• Thanks 1

On 02/11/2019 at 15:04, BernardTPM said:

Almost certainly cement asbestos sheets in the photo. The ridges help make it more rigid, minimising support framing. I have one sheet of what I think is Slater's Plastikard with a similar pattern on it, but I can't find it in their current lists. There are a few missing numbers though, I note.

RibbedPlasticSheet.jpg.83029a888af15f875831ad57c1bca1e6.jpg

I have some of that, inherited from my Dad’s model railway bits. Always wondered what it was supposed to represent.

Very helpful thanks.