Tudwick Road Siding

Think its about time we broke cover with this one. Its been slowly taking shape over the last 18 months, doing a few exhibitions en route. The track plan is fairly straightforward (thanks to Clive for his diagram, lifted from Steve Farmers Hillport Goods thread!) .

Would you believe that its acrually based on a prototype!

The real Tudwick Road Siding  was the end of the line of the Kelvedon and Tollesbury Light Railway after it closed to passengers in 1952. Freight traffic to Tiptree and Tudwick Road carried on until 1964, usually worked by either a Hunslet or Drewrey (or 05s and 04s as us youngsters know them as) from Colchester shed. This was usually the Witham shunt and trip pilot from what I can understand.

I've. .....erm........bent the truth a little and imagined that the line petered out sometime in the late 70s and was worked by a Colchester 08 (at some point 08202 will become 08228), with traffic consisting of coal and sundries to Tiptree, mainly for the jam factory, traffic from a scrap dealer who set up at Inworth and coal for the coal merchant at Tudwick Road.

On the layout, it is imagined that any traffic from Tudwick Road is worked up from Tiptree - its only 300 chains up the line- usually just the odd wagon or two.

Oh and Tudwick Road didnt cross the line by an overbridge, it was an ungated crossing,  but rule one applies!

Disgusting of Market Harborough 

Screenshot_2019-11-03-09-09-07-1.png

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good to see you've 'broke cover' Dave, it's a lovely inspirational layout showing that you can build something prototypical in a very small space.

Great stuff! 

10 hours ago, 1722 said:

Interesting concept, particularly for those starved of space. 

Wondering if you could fit similar into 2 feet in 00 gauge. 

Always enjoy seeing your models. 

I'm sure it would suit the new crop of industrial loco's in 4mm.

Steve. 

• RMweb Premium

Having helped Dave at many an exhibition with various layouts I can say this one is very easy to operate. Now those who know Dave will understand when I say I help Dave, I am operating the layout most the time as the lad himself goes off for a chat. It doesn't happen so much with Tudwick Road. I don't know why. :scratchhead:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, toplink@()1989))(( said:

Lovely layout, if I owned it I think I would scenicify the sector plate as well but it looks fantastic as is :good_mini:.

Cheer's, Pete.

Hi Pete

Other people have been suggesting that for ages, he might listen one day :music:

I am quite surprised I haven't driven something down the gap if the selector plate wasn't in the right place. On Friday Bridge I was cleaning the track and the whole layout got into a back and forth swaying motion and clank clank clank could be heard as a rake of wagons hit the floor where they run off through the selector plate gap. :nono:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am quite surprised I haven't driven something down the gap if the selector plate wasn't in the right place.

Don't worry Clive I'm sure you'll be getting plenty of opportunity........................................!

Very Nice Dave, a credit, look forward to seeing it a Warley

Stu

P.S. you've got two weeks to get that 08 suitably weathered up :-)

Clive

The gap situation may be sorted before we get to Warley (yes folks, we're in the naughty corner as usual!) so watch this space, although sceneryizing the sector plate, or part of it, may not get done in time Toplink!

Stu

The shunter wont be weathered in time for Warley cos its going to end up as Colchesters 08 228- it has all the right hinges and boxes on it. Only trouble is the period of the layout is around 1975 and , of course as you know, 08228 was green still at this time. A repaint is on the cards therefore! Mind you Alan Monk has sold me a green shunter which I may just repaint in blue yet! 

And the picture of the semi-automatic sector plate operational equipment will follow soon.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 20:32, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Clive

The gap situation may be sorted before we get to Warley (yes folks, we're in the naughty corner as usual!) so watch this space, although sceneryizing the sector plate, or part of it, may not get done in time Toplink!

God help me at Warley then as I’ve volunteered to replace Clive at Warley 

no doubt Dave will be off on a legendary walk and leaving me with the window catch. 

See you all at Warley 

steve 

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, sf315 said:

no doubt Dave will be off on a legendary walk and leaving me with the window catch. 

See you all at Warley 

steve 

If the question is from Dave then the answer is no!

You have no one else to blame but yourself!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, sf315 said:

See you all at Warley 

steve 

Hi Steve

Take a leaf out of Pete's book and just smile, like he does when driving your trains. :D

• RMweb Gold
On 03/11/2019 at 21:42, 1722 said:

Interesting concept, particularly for those starved of space. 

Wondering if you could fit similar into 2 feet in 00 gauge. 

Always enjoy seeing your models. 

You absolutely could recreate this in a limited space , would it have the same satisfaction? 
- O gauge has an attraction in that it has a bulk and sensible size couplings that make wagon shuffling satisfying in its own right,
- N gauge has an attraction in that you can have a whole train in landscape .
OO and its associated gauges get a bit of both - always torn between all of them, true rubber gauger :)  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Originally, I was hping to build this in my normal gauge of choice Russ- EM. The reason I did it in 7mm was because I had, like many more, a Dapol 08 and I felt with compression it was possible to build a reasonably accurate representation of the real Tudwick Road in a small space.

With making the sector plate the length of an 08 and 2 16 tonners, it means that a certain amount of thought is required when shunting, irrespective of gauge! Mind, you make a very good point about the 'satisfaction ' factor of O gauge...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1