DCC Clips

GridNorth

I'm finally ready to start laying some track. I have purchased the "Mixed Freight" DCC starter set to get me going and some additional track. During the design I was pondering how to run the wiring but I have just seen some components called Track Clips. My layout is a small L shape 1200 mm x 500 on one leg of the L and 1500mm x 600mm on the other.  It has 10 x points.  If I use these track clips will I be able to power the whole layout for DCC without any wiring?  Or am I misunderstanding their purpose?

Al

Edited by GridNorth
Correction to info

Yes, you can use Hornby Electro point Clips item R8232, using two clips per point  Point clip by Hornby and only the one feed from the DCC system is then required as the clips (more link staples) overcome the Hornby points self isolating feature which isn't required on a DCC layout where all track sections are usually live regardless of the points position,

Some Hornby points supplied in train set have them pre fitted. 

If your layout grows then consider using a DCC Bus pair of wires and smaller droppers connecting from the bus wires to the rails.

Edit to correct typo.

Edited by Brian

Hello, your right in what you say about powering with the clips , but for reliability and for the long term your better using insulated rail joiners and providing permanent connection (soldered) for the power supply wires. More work initially I know but far far better in the long run especially if you decide to have sound fitted locos as well as lights on them. 

Be aware that these clips are meant to provide power to a siding or two, not to pass power to an extensive range of track. They are as stated just steel staples and not conducive to carrying any great current.

Again as stated if this is your case then opt for a proper power bus.

Edited by RAF96
Typo

Steel is a very poor conductor of electricity, plus nickel-silver (what the rails are mde from) tarnishes very quickly resulting in resistance where these clips connect between the rails - and you have 2 places for the creation of the reistance for each clip.

Even very small resistances cause issues and with each loco drawing ~250-500mA (more with sound) the voltage drops dramatically quickly leading to operating issues, OK for one loco on a siding but not a lot more.

• Agree 1

On 03/11/2019 at 14:52, GridNorth said:

I'm not sure that I understand why that should be the case unless there was a LOT of track and several e.g. more than 3 or 4 locomotives.  Would you care to explain a little further.

Al

DCC will run just fine over two wires connected to a simple track plan. If the wiring works on DC it will work with DCC .  There are “ best practices “ etc, but the basic connection will work fine 

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Junctionmad said:

DCC will run just fine over two wires connected to a simple track plan. If the wiring works on DC it will work with DCC .  There are “ best practices “ etc, but the basic connection will work fine 

This ^^^ 

But instead of track clips why not use the Peco power supply fishplates, much better contact area than the clips.

6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

This ^^^ 

But instead of track clips why not use the Peco power supply fishplates, much better contact area than the clips.

Given that loose fishplates or corrosion between fishplates and rails is a prime cause of poor connectivity then using wired fishplates simply moves the problem even closer to home.

DCC will run just fine over two wires connected to a simple track plan. If the wiring works on DC it will work with DCC .

Not necessarily true - DC will run on a grubby track but DCC is not so tolerant and needs to be clean.

Edited by RAF96
More info

If you must use a convenience power connection then use the Hornby power track with push button connectors., as the buttons are resistance welded to the rails. This doesn’t overcome the continuity problems past either end of that power rail.

Be aware with DC power clips or track they have suppression components fitted whereas the (oddly more expensive) DCC items do not have them. The former is easily converted to the latter with a pair of snips.