Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Exhibitions Layout Features

I found a major downside of open and visible fiddle yards was that people wanted to hold discussions with the FY operator, who found it difficult enough to concentrate as it was. Questions often included asking for details of the stock, which were all kit built and which the operators usually hadn't built, so didn't know the answers. That's what prompted me to increase the FY surrounds to the height of the layouts lighting units and put large format photos and information details on them for viewers to read.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I found a major downside of open and visible fiddle yards was that people wanted to hold discussions with the FY operator, who found it difficult enough to concentrate as it was. Questions often included asking for details of the stock, which were all kit built and which the operators usually hadn't built, so didn't know the answers. That's what prompted me to increase the FY surrounds to the height of the layouts lighting units and put large format photos and information details on them for viewers to read.

Hence the dichotomy, exactly the sort of thing many people including myself often want to know, as it can be of more interest than the scenic sections.

I think this is a relevant part of this thread, how do you resolve the two issues, of having a fiddle yard that can operate efficiently and at the same time interacting with the public/modellers who want to know more about the stock than the scenics? They are, equally, at times more interested in how the scenics were done than just looking at them? In this instance, a layout triggering far more questions than a fairly sterile demo zone.

The theatre is often mentioned as a parallel, if you ever have questions about the set it is rare there is an opportunity to ask anyone afterwards - at a hobby show you sometimes can but it is the distraction you can’t do in the middle of the theatre play and never can at all when at the cinema.

Even where there is an explainer, if it is is a layout on the road, the cost has gone up one operator. 

• Like 2

Another dimension to this is differences in visitor expectations.   Whilst there's an overlap in the middle, hard-core enthusiasts want a different experience to family visitors with children (who, for example, lack patience with prototypical operation).   I have to admit my layouts tend to attract a crowd of the latter, with the former just walking past.😄

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, BR traction instructor said:

A good exhibition manager would surely invite a range of layouts to cover the entertainment of all likely visitors?

BeRTIe

Exactly, but not all layouts will please all people.

I'm happy with mine and it looked like plenty also were at it's last outing, yet I did see some take a glance, mouth the word "diesel" and keep walking.

Crack on - the hobby is a broad church.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

There is also the different show environments, at the smaller shows probably more opportunities especially in the afternoons for discussions than at the bigger events like ours at York, Warley, GETS, and the Warners events.

• RMweb Premium

For me it is important that things are realistic - and DCC makes this possible. We can set the right prototypical speed to all of our models, we can put realistic acceleration and braking in, and of course sound adds something. Also double headers are easily possible. I agree that sound needs to have a reasonable volume and not try to shout over all others. I remember February 2020, the layout opposite me had some sound sequences (not DCC, but environmental sound sequences) which made me crazy as they were repeated every few minutes.  

I think it is important to show some train movements to the visitor, and as much as it is prototypical that nothing happens for ten minutes on a branch line, during a show this will drive people away. About gadgets: I have moveable pantographs on several locos and also automatic couplings. I do not consider those as gadgets, I rather hate the constant hand of god on some layouts. Even on my 9mm gauge H0e I am running around the train with the loco at the end of the track - without the hand of god. But with an electromagnetic uncoupler in the track, camouflaged as a walkway.

Want to see if it is true what I am saying? No problem. Why not coming to the Milton Keynes Model Railway Society exhibition on July the 16th? My layout Donnersbachkogel is there on show. 

Exhibiton poster.jpg

Edited by Vecchio
additional ideas

Having gone back (again) to the OP, perhaps this might fit in more with the original thinking behind the original query.

I like super detailing my coach interiors and originally I avoided coach lighting - I associated coach lighting with those very toy-like FLEISCHMANN lit coaches we used to see on the FLEISCHMANN factory built layouts of the 1970's/80's. So I super detailed all the coaches in my 19 car passenger rake - it took forever, but at exhibitions no-one could see the detail. Yes, if you looked really hard when the coaches passed a light coloured background you could see silhouettes, but that was a huge amount of work with very little impact on the viewer.

So, reluctantly, I investigated coach lighting - and I was pleasantly surprised at the modern LED lighting which is now available and so I fitted it. Now, of course I accept, that if you are standing 70 or 80 yards from a passenger train train in real life you cannot see the people sitting in the coaches as clearly as you can in my models and if a photographer or videographer asked me, I would turn the lights off for their photo/video.

BUT, having the unrealistic coach lighting does let the viewer see the detail and does enhance the average viewer's experience. Here is the only photo I have to illustrate my point - my dining car, complete with a waitress taking orders.....

coach.jpg.e2fae5413c8f4d9f93e2b9af52d0ccf4.jpg

On 11/06/2022 at 22:39, Vecchio said:

automatic couplings. I do not consider those as gadgets, I rather hate the constant hand of god on some layouts

Whilst I wouldn't use a word as strong as 'hate', I find automatic couplings as unrealistic as the 'hand of god', because in real life, all couplers, from 3-links to buckeyes, involve human intervention to some degree. Models coupling & uncoupling 'all by themselves' are as much a compromise as ones that need our intervention.

At an exhibition, amidst all the chatter, jostling, back-pack-swiping and body odours (other stereotypes are available) I am never going to 'lose' myself in a layout so much that I think I am watching the real thing, only to be brought crashing back to reality by the appearance of an over-sized hand with an equally over-sized uncoupling device. 🙄🙄🙄🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Whilst I wouldn't use a word as strong as 'hate', I find automatic couplings as unrealistic as the 'hand of god', because in real life, all couplers, from 3-links to buckeyes, involve human intervention to some degree. Models coupling & uncoupling 'all by themselves' are as much a compromise as ones that need our intervention.

I used to operate a layout where I'd replicate everything the crew did which included manually uncoupling Kadees, swapping trolley poles over and poling with a metal pole and magnets in the poling pockets, and TBH it wasn't that suitable for shows because the public didn't really get the concept and it was quite tiring to operate. I've managed to since relocate uncoupling and spotting cars in position without resorting to the Kadees shuffle, but even then there's the "Dutch drop" move which is like fly shunting but with the loco leading that you'd probably have to have remote uncoupling and a powered car to replicate properly. 

The current project by comparison uses pantographs, Kadees with their droppers still intact and ABC boards so a train can automatically shuttle onto the layout and back whilst switching takes place elsewhere, and is alot more relaxing to operate.