Making baseboard frames deeper.

The current frames on the layout I acquired are 1 1/2" deep by 1" wide, which is fine for the solenoid type motors it currently has. I'm looking at fitting tortoise point motors which I reckon are going to need another 3" of clearance. This leaves me with the conundrum of how to add some 3" x 1" timber to the existing frames.

I guess I could glue and use long wood screws at intervals, but I'd be worried they'd be vulnerable to lateral forces even though there are cross beams I would also be making deeper. I might be able to run a length of 9mm ply along the inside of the frames to bridge the join and add strength?

Any carpenters/joiners out there got some advice?

Thanks.

I would simply pin and glue some 9mm ply along the outside of the base boards to give you the extra depth. They would be  4 1/2" deep plus the thickness of the baseboard top to give you the necessary depth. The ends would depend on how the boards are joined. It does depend also on the size of the boards.. The ply on its own should be sufficiently rigid, I can see no need to add a extra run of 3 x 1 under the existing framing.

• Thanks 1