Exactoscale Track - Permanent Cessation of Mail Order Facility

MNW1919

Important Announcement

Permanent Cessation of Mail Order Facility

Advanced Notice – order processing ceases 

30th November 2019.

This message is advance warning that after the end of November no orders will be processed or emails answered.

92% of our sales at present are handled by three scale societies (Scalefour Society, EM Gauge Society, and Scale 7 Group). We lose money on our own mail order facility and have reluctantly decided to withdraw this service

Our full product range will continue to be available from one or other of the three scale societies. This will include both types of 00 Fast Track which will be stocked by both Scalefour and EM Gauge Societies. 

If you plan to place an order before the 30th November 2019 cut-off, please leave plenty of time for the order to be confirmed, including the total cost, and for your payment to have cleared … all before the last packing and posting day (5th December 2019).

We thank all our past customers who have availed themselves of our mail order service and urge them to consider joining one of the three scale societies.

If you are a society member, you will still of course be able to place orders with the appropriate scale society (Scalefour Society, EM Gauge Society, and Scale 7 Group).

• Like 1

• MNW1919 changed the title to Exactoscale Track - Permanent Cessation of Mail Order Facility
  • 2 weeks later...

I've placed my order, paid for it and now just hoping that it gets posted on Monday.

Given that 30th November is next Saturday, I thought I'd left it as late as was possible for an operation that only processes orders once a week (usually on a Monday).  However, I note that the last posting date is actually 5th December, so I had a week longer than I thought.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MNW1919 said:

David

I think you should have your order a few days a go

We are now permanently closed.

Thanks to all our past customers

Tony Sullivan

Tony,

Yes, my order arrived safe and sound on Monday morning.  I didn't need anything urgently, but the closure of the mail order service prompted me to place a final order so that I don't run out of track panels when I get to laying track.

On 09/11/2019 at 12:40, Stephen Freeman said:

That should give membership a boost.

On 13/11/2019 at 09:44, MNW1919 said:

In response to some Email messages on our website. Just to reiterate for OO modellers, that both the Scalefour Society and EMGS will be selling OO Fast Track from their respective stores facilities

And all 00 modellers have to do is join a completely irrelevant society to make said purchases; hardly conducive. I wonder how long the 00 range will remain viable.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The S4Soc newsletter in particular is excellent, the vast majority (often all) of the content is relevant to other gauges too.  Plus access to the stores - probably 90%+ of which covers 4mm in general. Plus free entry to their exhibitions as well as the S4 Forum.  Excellent value in my book...

p.s. I'm not a S4 modeller....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, polybear said:

The S4Soc newsletter in particular is excellent, the vast majority (often all) of the content is relevant to other gauges too.  Plus access to the stores - probably 90%+ of which covers 4mm in general. Plus free entry to their exhibitions as well as the S4 Forum. 

I don't doubt it. Nevertheless, how many 00 modellers are members of S4S/EMSG? And how many S4S/EMSG members are likely to buy Exactoscale 00 track? Limiting 00 sales to these niche outlets is unlikely to support uptake among the wider 00 community. Given that that could limit the longterm viability of the 00 product makes me hesitant to try in the first place.

But the Exactoscale Fast-track bases are the only 00 scale specific product that was being sold.  The sleepers, chairs etc are all suitable for EM and P4 gauges anyway.  I agree that the 00 scale Fast-track bases may just fade away in the long term, which was the reason I ordered what I think I'll need now.  The problem is cost.  It costs money to pay someone to process orders and if there aren't a lot of orders to process then Exactoscale can't make a profit from their mail order operations.  Sadly, any business or range of products that can't turn a profit will cease to exist in the long term.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

And buying rail products from S4 Stores is often cheaper than from commercial suppliers such as C&L (postage in particular); there's a thread on the "Handbuilt Track and Templot" board entitled "Code 75 Bullhead Rail Options" which is worth a read in this respect (sorry - the works pc won't post a link).

HTH

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

The S4Soc newsletter in particular is excellent, the vast majority (often all) of the content is relevant to other gauges too.  Plus access to the stores - probably 90%+ of which covers 4mm in general. Plus free entry to their exhibitions as well as the S4 Forum.  Excellent value in my book...

Same applies to the Emgs magazines..

49 minutes ago, polybear said:

And buying rail products from S4 Stores is often cheaper than from commercial suppliers such as C&L (postage in particular); there's a thread on the "Handbuilt Track and Templot" board entitled "Code 75 Bullhead Rail Options" which is worth a read in this respect (sorry - the works pc won't post a link).

HTH

Be careful about rail, all code 75 rail is not the same especially when the dies become worn.  I cannot remember which society it is buy their rail does not fit some Exactoscale products

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, truffy said:

And all 00 modellers have to do is join a completely irrelevant society to make said purchases; hardly conducive. I wonder how long the 00 range will remain viable.

It will remain relevant if you buy it. As others have mentioned, the society stores stock many items quite a lot of which can be used without issues in the other 4mm gauges. The forum is one of the best and the society magazine is on par with many commercial magazines.

You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Craig W

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, polybear said:

Just to clarify a point you make here. You don't get free entry to Scaleforum or Scalefour North, but members DO get reduced entry, which like non-member pricing is valid for both days at both shows. It should also be mentioned, that if you go to Expo EM or Scalefour Shows you don't need to be a member to buy from the respective society shows on those days.

Another point to make is that the Scalefour Society has two shops on the website, members and public. It will be upto to the committee of the society to deem if the OO Gauge fasttrack should be in which however and i'm not sure what if any decision has been made in that respect.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Kelly said:

Just to clarify a point you make here. You don't get free entry to Scaleforum or Scalefour North, but members DO get reduced entry, which like non-member pricing is valid for both days at both shows. It should also be mentioned, that if you go to Expo EM or Scalefour Shows you don't need to be a member to buy from the respective society shows on those days.

Thanks Kelly - duly corrected.  Brain fade on my part....

32 minutes ago, Kelly said:

the Scalefour Society has two shops on the website, members and public. It will be upto to the committee of the society to deem if the OO Gauge fasttrack should be in which however and i'm not sure what if any decision has been made in that respect.

I did check the public shop, obviously not the members' one, and there was nothing there, indicating that it's members only or not up yet. EMSG seems to only have a members shop.