Advice and opinion requested. 1st time layout designer

Bennyb40

Hello everyone.

I'm designing my first ever model railway and I'd like som input, feed back and advice from all you experts.

My design criteria are:

• Size is limited to 6ft x 18 inches
  • oo gauge
  • dcc
  • modern era 
  • locomotive servicing and fuelling area
  • Largest thing id like to operate is a 2 car dmu but not a necessity

I've made and initial plan on SCARM but to be honest I have no idea what I should include, if its too much or whether operationally it will be enjoyable.  My scenic break will be roughly about 2 ft in from the left hand side. It is a rough plan, I know some headshunt and siding lengths will need to alter but Id really appreciate some input and advice.

Thanks in advance

snapshot.jpg

• RMweb Gold

First of all I would take a look at the real world for inspiration, ideas, and a bit of guidance.  From that you will gradually form an idea of what you want to do.  The next step is really to check the dimensions (basically the length) of the models you have in mind so that you know what lengths you need to allow for on sidings etc.  Being a rather old-fashioned sort I would then rundown my ideas and possibilities on paper using a pencil and rubber to see if I am going the right way.  Once I've got through that process I would use software or Peco point plans (downloaded from their website) to see if what I want fits the site I have available.

What you might also want to do is doodle around on paper seeing how movements would be made around the layout you have in mind - that's up to you but it can be a worthwhile check that you are producing something which will both work and keep you amused.

The layout you showed above uses what I presume might be a release crossover which basically doesn't leave enough space to get round anything beyond a single wagon - was that your intention?

• Like 1