Before I start to rebuild (bash) a very old Triang "Lord of the Isles" to the Parallel Number Two Standard boiler condition, I was wondering if anyone could supply me with a copy of a drawing?  It's a relatively simple modification and I have a couple of good photos of 3027 "Worcester" with a Number Two boiler but prefer to work from drawings.   And before the collectors stat to whinge - the model (which I obtained from ebay for less than £20) really is in very poor condition.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ken A. said:

Before I start to rebuild (bash) a very old Triang "Lord of the Isles" to the Parallel Number Two Standard boiler condition, I was wondering if anyone could supply me with a copy of a drawing?  It's a relatively simple modification and I have a couple of good photos of 3027 "Worcester" with a Number Two boiler but prefer to work from drawings.   And before the collectors stat to whinge - the model (which I obtained from ebay for less than £20) really is in very poor condition.

Hi Ken

Russell's "A Pictorial Record of Great Western Engines, Volume one" has drawings of both types of new boilers, the Belpaire domed design and the Parallel Number Two Standard boiler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, slight change of plan...  If I'm going to bash the loco, why not have a go at bashing a dawing?  So starting with C J Freezer's drawings of a Dean Single and an Atbara 4-4-0 and a few minutes' work produced the attached "drawing".  I am not looking to produce a dead-scale model just something that looks the part.  Besides the "Lord of the Isles" the firebox, cab and smoke box saddle will come from a Dapol "City of Truro" kit while the smokebox will come from a Dapol 61xx kit.  Add a lengith of 20 mm plastic tube for the boiler and I'll have a No 2 boilered Dean Single (I hope!)

Comments please?GWR005.jpg.cc95701baa4e4e4066f1c42796534c60.jpg

Edited by Ken A.
grammer
  • Like 4

On 07/11/2019 at 16:48, Ken A. said:

Okay, slight change of plan...  If I'm going to bash the loco, why not have a go at bashing a dawing?  So starting with C J Freezer's drawings of a Dean Single and an Atbara 4-4-0 and a few minutes' work produced the attached "drawing".  I am not looking to produce a dead-scale model just something that looks the part.  Besides the "Lord of the Isles" the firebox, cab and smoke box saddle will come from a Dapol "City of Truro" kit while the smokebox will come from a Dapol 61xx kit.  Add a lengith of 20 mm plastic tube for the boiler and I'll have a No 2 boilered Dean Single (I hope!)

This loco looks marvellous and nice! Could you make a 4-4-0 version of this without the outside cylinders and such?

1 hour ago, LNWR18901910 said:

This loco looks marvellous and nice! Could you make a 4-4-0 version of this without the outside cylinders and such?

A rebuilt "Armstrong" then?

16-brunel-425724.jpg.webp

https://www.mediastorehouse.com/steam-museum-of-the-gwr/planes-trains-automobiles/locomotives-steam-standard-gauge-armstrong-class-locomotives/16-brunel-425724.html?prodid=694

4 minutes ago, K14 said:

Yes, I have always liked these 4-4-0s because of their elegant and refined design without the outside frames.

• RMweb Premium
On 07/11/2019 at 16:48, Ken A. said:

Notwithstanding the comment about the City firebox needing raising, to my eyes the one in the drawing looks too high compared to boiler and cab?

For some sort of reference, in the Armstrong photo it is below the bottom of the roof.

Edited by Hal Nail