1950/60 photo location help need

jbqfc

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I love these old pics because they are the same sort of 'finish' I managed to get on the few I ever took as I never had a great camera, but they still contain loads of interesting detail. Thanks for showing them and hopefully more to come. They are of an age I remember so well.

Phil

Thank you i have about 90 photos not all i need loction information for but i will post them all in this thread 

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, russ p said:

Is the 40 the north end of York station crossing the Scarborough lines?

thanks yes i think it is i knew the location but could not could not put a name to it 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Is 70002 at Liverpool Street?

I wondered that too but it looks a bit grubby for a GE 'Brit' .  However I have been able to match the overbridge in the background and the viewpoint to Liverpool St so it could well be there. 

18 hours ago, russ p said:

Definitely York - you can see that distinctive hydraulic powerhouse peeking out from behind the loco.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/11/2019 at 16:34, Mallard60022 said:

I love these old pics because they are the same sort of 'finish' I managed to get on the few I ever took as I never had a great camera, but they still contain loads of interesting detail. Thanks for showing them and hopefully more to come. They are of an age I remember so well.

Phil

Aren't we lucky he hadn't gone digital - or I suspect he might have used the 'delete' button once or twice ! ....................................... mind you, he'd have taken lots more too !

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Aren't we lucky he hadn't gone digital - or I suspect he might have used the 'delete' button once or twice ! ....................................... mind you, he'd have taken lots more too !

i love looking round the internet for old black and white steam photos a lot of them make up for poor quality by having lots of atmosphere

i was born 10 days before the end of steam on British rail  but i do wish i had seen steam in every day use 

John 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2019 at 17:14, russ p said:

York North end but I think heading south on the other side of the station to the Scarborough divergence. What would be in the background today would be the Unipart centre.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Is the Black Five at Southport as well? Signals and water tower look L&Y.

Correct. London Street. Those buildings in the background are still there but have changed a lot.

I knew it was familiar. :lol:

2019-11-11.png.85ab32d06e7fc22e2dfd06256882bcd6.png

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1