LMS 40 ton bogie brake van (goods)

Boris

So, browsing the Gladiator website brought me up an image of an LMS 40 ton bogie brake van which kind of looks like a SR Queen Mary and a dia 2068 LMS van got together and did something that we're not supposed to mention on here.  I'm guessing as this is a kit it was really something that existed but I can't find any photos online (plenty of models none of the real thing), does anybody have any photos of one of these please?

Also if someone could pass on build and service dates that would be great, although I am guessing that there weren't many of these things build and for a specific traffic reason?

Love

Boris

t1.jpg

• Like 1

As to be expected details with LMS and BR period photos in Essery, R, J, (1981) An illustrated history of LMS Wagons, Volume 1, Oxford Publishing Co. SBN 86093 127 7. viii + 180 pages

There were only three, built 1930 for Copley Hill to Armley

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hmrspaul said:

As to be expected details with LMS and BR period photos in Essery, R, J, (1981) An illustrated history of LMS Wagons, Volume 1, Oxford Publishing Co. SBN 86093 127 7. viii + 180 pages

There were only three, built 1930 for Copley Hill to Armley

Paul

Copley Hill to Armley is an incrediblely short run in the scheme of things! Exactly what were they used for on this?

1 hour ago, Aire Head said:

Back on topic though these have me genuinely intrigued as to what the LMS felt was nessecary to build 3 monster brakevans to cover what is at best a few miles.

Similar reasons to those of the GWR,  with their special vans for the Pontnewynydd branch, though these had to contend with a gradient and a restricted loading gauge.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Back on topic though these have me genuinely intrigued as to what the LMS felt was nessecary to build 3 monster brakevans to cover what is at best a few miles.

The instructions IIRC have some prototype notes. Built to enable unfitted trains to contend with a severe gradient. Cannot check now as I’m not home for another two weeks. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Similar reasons to those of the GWR,  with their special vans for the Pontnewynydd branch, though these had to contend with a gradient and a restricted loading gauge.

..... not to mention - almost back on topic - two generations of LMS special vans for Liverpool.

• Like 1

The only use I can see would be to transfer goods off the former LNWR Leeds to Dewsbury Line onto the former Midland Railway main line.

This also looks like it would involve a reversal at the goods yards at either The Central Station in Holbeck or at Wortley Junction.

• Like 1

Hi Boris,

I've always had a soft spot for these 40 ton vans, when I was a young teenager I used to live in Toton, one evening my mates and I were walking through the private cripples yard adjacent to Toton East Junc. and lo and behold we spotted one of them in the yard, I suspect it was during 1962/63.  

Moving forward a couple of years after starting my footplate career at Toton, I recall been told that one of the vans had been used for a short while on the two branches into Stanton Ironworks ( Old Works, New Works/Mapperley) from Stanton Gate, both lines which included heavyish grades.

A few years ago I came across this image of the van in use at Stanton Gate on one of the two 'trippers' (T89 or T90) that serviced the ironworks. I dont have a record of the photographer so I'm unable to credit the image.

Regards, Mick.

LMS bogie brake van.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

Hi guys,

I've built the Gladiator 7mm kit of this brake van. I had read that only 3 were built and they only had very limited places where they were used. Despite that I Just couldn't resist having one. Really quirky and gets a lot of comment when it appears. Great photo of it behind that diesel at Stanton Gate. 

Very pleasing kit to build. Bogies were a bit tricky for me but overall it went together really well. Very pleased with it. Recommended

regards

Ian     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

The Pontnewynydd vans were that shape so as not to obstruct the view forward from the locomotive, as they were propelled up the gradient, sandwiched between the loco and the train.

Jim

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
36 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That pic above has me wanting one for my Stanton pipe train.

Other than the (in)famous Jidenco kit, is there an optional kit for 4mm, or, quelle surpríse, is the Jidenco one buildable?

Mike.

I managed to put mine together but I seem to remember that some of the detail was a mirror image of the real thing, and that I had a lot of trouble with clearances around the bogies before it would run on anything but straight track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Waveydavey said:

A couple of Parkside kits mashed together might be the easiest answer Mike.

I did think that, but the end platforms and cut outs seem to be a lot longer, so a scratch build might be the way to go, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort tbh.

Mike.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I came across this in the Letters section of Railway Magazine Feb 1965, with a follow up letter in the March issue. I thought I must highlight it for your interest, particularly MickB who saw it at Stanton Gate.

Paul

3DEF7204-9DC7-4FA9-8951-0F7D162E2A59.jpeg

EB32995A-2168-470E-91CC-B06CF3A52AE0.jpeg

789A013B-19AA-49EB-AF92-E5C225D859D9.jpeg

072D0CA8-F3BC-4F59-AE36-1C89A46D6DAA.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for that PRWAL, I'm surprised that after all the years I managed to get the (approx.) date correct. I did have a cutting from a magazine of the van in use on the Holwell Branch but so far I havent been able to find it.

Thanks again.

Mick.