Heljan Class 07 - advice appreciated with horn and couplings

Hello again, fellow RM-Webbers

Having finally purchased a brand new Heljan Class 07 at a local toy fair yesterday, I was a bit miffed to find I needed to glue a set of cab steps back on, which had come loose before even unwrapping! I was hoping the tales I had heard of "Heljan hi-detail hiccups" were a thing of the past!

However,  the flared end* of one of the horns on the roof is also snapped off!  I don't want to return it for the sake of the tiniest bit of plastic (for one thing, it would be next month before I could do so, if the trader is present!), so can anyone point me towards suitable replacements, hopefully a little more robust than the original part?

The other issue is with the tension lock couplings; the NEM pocket at each end swivels to allow the couplings to swing on sharp curves. However, pushing the supplied coupling inti the pocket not only results in the coupling "fixed" at 90 degrees to the buffer with no swivel function, but the hook is pushed into an upward position and won't drop! What am I doing wrong? Or is this a known issue? And, in either case, is there a solution?!

Many thanks

Steve S

"Just one more dock shunter, honest"

* As a trombonist, I would use the  technical term for this shape, but as this usually results in much hilarity I shall refrain from doing so! :wink_mini:

8 hours ago, doctor quinn said:

Hi Steve, Did you sort anything out? If not is this any use? ( It’s a spare bell from a US horn kit)

F60CCB63-71C8-4BA8-89A8-B1B659FA6C9E.jpeg

Hi - nothing sorted yet... not something I'd expect Heljan to sell as a spare, to be honest!

The part above may help ... it is very difficult to gauge how big anything is the on a photo! Thank you for the offer - I will give you a shout if other avenues of enquiry don't work out.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 08:54, wirey33 said:

Heljan have a good spares set-up via Howes of Oxford.

They sell various sprues which may contain the part you are looking for; along with a few others that you don't.

Oh, thanks - I had no idea about this. I shall make enquiries!

• 2 months later...

Greetings, RMWebbers

A while ago I asked for advice about a problem with the tension lock couplings on my Heljan 07 loco having their hooks elevated when pushed into place. I can't believe I am the only person to suffer this issue (or, am I?!) but if anyone can suggest a solution I would be grateful. Push coupling into place into NEM pocket and the hook sticks up! What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any feedback.

• RMweb Gold
On 14/02/2020 at 23:04, SteveyDee68 said:

Greetings, RMWebbers

A while ago I asked for advice about a problem with the tension lock couplings on my Heljan 07 loco having their hooks elevated when pushed into place. I can't believe I am the only person to suffer this issue (or, am I?!) but if anyone can suggest a solution I would be grateful. Push coupling into place into NEM pocket and the hook sticks up! What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any feedback.

I found a similar problem with mine - it seemed like the 'prongs' of the NEM clip weren't long enough to hold the coupling in the correct position, so it was going in too far, leading to the hook fouling on the buffer beam.

I solved it by using a different set of couplings - Bachmann ones I think.

• Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I found a similar problem with mine - it seemed like the 'prongs' of the NEM clip weren't long enough to hold the coupling in the correct position, so it was going in too far, leading to the hook fouling on the buffer beam.

I solved it by using a different set of couplings - Bachmann ones I think.

Thank you, Nick C - I had not thought of that. I shall give that a try forthwith!

Hours of fun!

(Trying very hard not to sound like Miranda Hart!)

Edited by SteveyDee68
Bl**dy typo - why does one always slip through?!