Siding Extension (off stage)

James 1707

Hi,  I need some help please with a siding to handle my trains that run from my main layout and can be shuffled off stage without any hands. 

Ive got 230x20cm to play with.

I would like trains to enter on my up line then exit on the down line.

I'd ideally like 4 sidings as a minimum.

Although I have some DMU's that can shuttle backward and forwards to the main layout I also have some locos that will need to run around to head the train again.

Im hoping to use peco 100 medium points.

Ive had a go at coming up with something, see attached but with my very rough maths it leaves a siding of 110cm, not the longest.  I really would welcome advice on a better arrangement to maximise the space.

Thanks Jim

IMG_0694.JPG

• RMweb Gold

With only 20cm width you are limited to 4 tracks, but you can get an extra 20cm siding length by changing the entrance points around to a double slip and 2 large y points. This means that only one train can enter or exit at a time, but is a space saver.

You might gain a little more length using y points at the top end as well, but it wont be a lot.

Edited by simon b

Hi, thanks for the top feedback so far.  My longest loco is my class 66 about 28cm long so I guess the head shunt will need to support this.  I'll print out some peco templates tonight and try the double slip and two y points and see how long it is and report back.  Thanks Jim

IMG_0698.JPG

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Also the double slip as shown above won't work as it is occupying the space betwee the two track.

The double slip replaces the two tracks, I have this setup on the imperial gate layout.

Only one train can enter or exit the yard at a time, but all roads can be accessed by either track.

Edited by simon b

1 hour ago, simon b said:

The double slip replaces the two tracks, I have this setup on the imperial gate layout.

Only one train can enter or exit the yard at a time, but all roads can be accessed by either track.

I was working on the assumption that the OP had chosen the original form based on two tracks running into the scenic section rather than one

Hi,  I printed out the double slip and y's tonight and the two tracks converge as suggested, it's as if the slip is too narrow.  My 20cm width is very tight even if I mess about with separation between the slip and y's but in doing that I start to compromise the length  of the siding.  

IMG_0699.JPG

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, James 1707 said:

Hi,  I printed out the double slip and y's tonight and the two tracks converge as suggested, it's as if the slip is too narrow.  My 20cm width is very tight even if I mess about with separation between the slip and y's but in doing that I start to compromise the length  of the siding.  

IMG_0699.JPG

It only works with the large radius Y points, which are the same length as a normal medium radius point. they have a shallower angle which lines up perfectly. Print a pair of those off and it will all come together.

Those short y points have a much too sharp angle to be used in sidings, but are usefull for building a center loco release between terminus platforms.

Edited by simon b

I added the longer Y's and all aligns better.  It's about 70cm  leaving me 160cm to play with.    Now onto the run a round and head shunt on one of the 4 lanes that give me the most flexibility.

I want to avoid a sector plate as I'm hoping to run all this with no hands

IMG_0700.JPG

Ok took a bit of step and invested in AnyRail over template prints.  I've attached my head shunt to be able to uncouple and run around to then head up before heading out again.  I've got about 107cm to play with in the sidings so will need to check what that looks like wagon wise.  It's not nice looking but it's just required to be functional.  Any thoughts on further improvements?

IMG_0701.JPG

• RMweb Gold
On 06/11/2019 at 21:01, James 1707 said:

Ok took a bit of step and invested in AnyRail over template prints.  I've attached my head shunt to be able to uncouple and run around to then head up before heading out again.  I've got about 107cm to play with in the sidings so will need to check what that looks like wagon wise.  It's not nice looking but it's just required to be functional.  Any thoughts on further improvements?

IMG_0701.JPG

Do you actually need to have a runaround in the sidings?  You could run the train into the yard with a loco, uncouple it, then pull it back out with another. 

Edited by simon b

47 minutes ago, simon b said:

You can also build it this way which keeps the sidings longer, but means the locos must shunt onto the scenic section.

IMG_0701.JPG.ead42ead2acb1ee0bb75b5898c4219e22.jpg

The top two sidings can be used for loco hauled turn backs without the loco entering the scenic section  as there is around 300mm between the points and the scenic section. the top siding by the loco standing on the red line past the slip, and the lower by the loco waiting in the top road. ,

If 1ft or 300mm width was available I would go 5 roads as below

7 Nov 2019.png

• Like 1

Thats another great plan.  I've got a 3rd and 4th radius quarter turn before I get to the scenic section so I'll use this also for some shunting around.  Don't know why I never thought about it before. I suppose the question now is could I use that space differently now.  I'll put the that bit on my AnyRail plan and send it.

I've put it on a plan now and when you take into account the corner I seem to have a lot more space before you enter the scenic area.  Any thoughts how I should use this space? I don't want to extend the scenic this is just for movement to and from the scenic and sidingsIMG_0703.JPG.9d801e82992470d6df43910dc39aad86.JPG

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, James 1707 said:

I've put it on a plan now and when you take into account the corner I seem to have a lot more space before you enter the scenic area.  Any thoughts how I should use this space? I don't want to extend the scenic this is just for movement to and from the scenic and sidingsIMG_0703.JPG.9d801e82992470d6df43910dc39aad86.JPG

If those 4 sidings are long enough you could add 3 more, or make the existing 4 longer.

• 2 weeks later...