E-Z Command Decoder Problem

Guest tony graham

Guest tony graham

Evening fellow webbers,

I am trying to ascertain if I have a problem with the described DCC chip/decoder

Yesterday I tried all I could to get my Dapol DVT to accept a chip but my NCE Powercab kept reading the chip and coming up with something to do about 'CV values not recognised'

After about half a dozen attempts I finally went down to the club and used the ever faithful Lenz 90, but this chucked up 'Er02'

I then tried to put the chip into a Dapol 67 and I got the same, the chip in the 67 works fine so would this mean I have a faulty chip?

Answers on a postcard to.......

Many thanks

• RMweb Gold

Evening fellow webbers,

I am trying to ascertain if I have a problem with the described DCC chip/decoder

Yesterday I tried all I could to get my Dapol DVT to accept a chip but my NCE Powercab kept reading the chip and coming up with something to do about 'CV values not recognised'

After about half a dozen attempts I finally went down to the club and used the ever faithful Lenz 90, but this chucked up 'Er02'

I then tried to put the chip into a Dapol 67 and I got the same, the chip in the 67 works fine so would this mean I have a faulty chip?

Answers on a postcard to.......

Many thanks

Just a thought but which CV's were you trying to read?

I can't find any info about this decoder, so not too sure which CV's can or can't be adjusted.

Bachmann and Hornby both use other manufacturers decoders and just rebadge them and have loads of functions switched off!!

It may be that you can't adjust certain CV's even though it works fine, I know the Hornby one works fine but you can't adjust any of the motor CV's.

Someone will be along who knows a bit more about it and will know doubt have the correct info for you.

Cheers

Ian

Guest tony graham

It was when I was programming the chip on the programming track, I could not enter anything, all it read was about the CV's

• RMweb Gold

If you are trying to program a chip in a vehicle without a motor you will get error messages.

The acknowledge and read back facility relies on the decoder applying a brief pulse of power to the motor, the command station sees the current drawn through the motor and recognises that the decoder has responded.

Normally the decoder will have accepted the programming but be unable to acknowledge the programming.

Andi

Not trying to bump my threada (honest) but it looks like the same problem Im having with this chip in my Bachmann 150 (N gauge) trailer car....

And yes, the powered car jerked a little as the chip was programmed. Dagworths reply sounds spot on. Seems the trick is to setup this chip in a motored vehicle and then install in the non-motored vehicle - your DVT.

Waiting for the wife to go to work tomorrow before I try and practise what is preached here.

One question - is this "acknowldge and read back needing a motor" common to all DCC decoders, or just a certain few, such as this one. Only ask becuase I may (if i can be arsed) need to do this in my Bachmann OO 158's.

• RMweb Gold

Almost all decoders have the read back and acknowledge pulse feature.

One easy way round programming the dummy cars of units is to complete the install, then program both cars at the same time on the programming track. The dummy car will take the programming while the motor car provides the ack pulse. Once the pair are programmed then remove the dummy car and alter settings as required for the power car on its own.

The other option (easier in larger scales where space is less tight) is to put a 100 ohm resistor across the motor wires of the decoder (between the orange and grey leads), this will allow the current to pass and the command station to see the ack pulse.

Andi

A couple of extra points.

If you use the 100 ohm resistor option, beware that 12 volts across 100 ohms is dissipating 1.44 watts. Most resistors are rated at 0.25 watts, so you either need a high power resistor or to make sure that 12 volts is not put across it for any length of time.

Sometimes the easiest way is to remove the resistor when programming is complete. However if you leave it in place, if it is on the motor circuit make sure that the maximum speed CV is set to zero so the motor circuit is never used in normal running. You can do the same trick with a spare function wire on a function-only decoder but you need to change the function mapping so no function can accidentally activate that wire. In either case the resistor will still be used during programming, but only for very short periods so there shouldn't be enough heat build-up to cause a problem.

On the subject of the Bachmann 6-pin decoder it has been reported on another forum that these don't work in DC mode.

Archived