Ratio 554 wartime signal box

simon b

• RMweb Gold
On 06/11/2019 at 16:10, TheSignalEngineer said:

The (G)WR information in that article is rather confusing to say the least as it doesn't just show ARP style 'boxes but also appears to include some  'boxes which had strengthened locking room walls, for example - Oxford South, Oxford Station North, and Severn Tunnel Jcn West.  But it also omits some boxes which had strengthened locking room walls .  And at the same time it manages to omit at least one 'box which was a new built ARP type 'box (Hinksey North).

On 06/11/2019 at 14:12, tomparryharry said:

To be honest, I can't ever remember being inside a wartime Western box. Are there any left? 

The biggest problem was that they were, for whatever reason, an absolute b*gger to keep clean inside being very prone to dust and dirt from the stove building up on all sorts of surfaces.  The LMS ARP design in my limited experience of them seemed to be a lot cleaner inside (The difference might have been down the Signalmen but judging by the GWR version on my patch there was something about the design and material used which made them harder to keep clean.)

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

T  The LMS ARP design in my limited experience of them seemed to be a lot cleaner inside (The difference might have been down the Signalmen but judging by the GWR version on my patch there was something about the design and material used which made them harder to keep clean.)

One I frequented - Mollington on the Birkenhead Joint - was bl--ding freezing even for most of the summer, and when it wasn't it was bl--ding hot.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I think the customisation to site is how such designs work, really. Contractors take a plan and adapt as needed.

There were a lot of variations available in the original concept design. IIRC they came in four heights, 8', 10', 12' and 14' above rail to the operating floor. The only external difference was the staircase and the number of brick courses. The two decorative rows of Staffordshire Blue bricks were normally in the same place relative to the windows but some bricklayers put the outer layer as a soldier course. Can anyone confirm my memory that the red bricks were Accringtons?

The window frames came in two different widths, and I have seen various combinations from three to six along the front. The typical GA I have showed Narrow, 3xwide, narrow, which was enough length for a 50 lever frame. Crewe Coal Yard had six windows including a bay window for better visibility. It had a 65 lever frame.

A three window box like the Peco/Ratio sample would be for 25 levers. For those interested in the prototype this is the inside of Town Green in 1990.

8044854995_4c4bb2565d_c.jpgTown Green Signal Box 1990 by Noted HSG, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

:offtopic:Thread Drift Warning

The LMS Type 13 ARP signal box was designed to be resistant to blast but not to a direct hit, like this one by a train at Portobello Junction, Willenhall, in 1974.

http://www.willenhallhistory.co.uk/society/portobellocrash2.htm

http://www.willenhallhistory.co.uk/society/portobellocrash.htm

Incidentally the number of the ICI tank which was at the centre of the action was 666.

If you ever go over Noose Lane Crossing you will see a bit of a mound just off the north west corner. There used to be an old pond there. How do you get rid of the debris? The mound hides the remains of the box, including the REC lever frame and gate wheel.

image.png.371b912a6d200f3b8f84ac547d9d446e.png

It's just behind that chain link fence.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, andyram said:

Arriving in our shop next week:

Not the type of box they were showing samples of on their stand recently. (See page 1).

The picture you show is the wartime version of the ARP box as in their original publicity, their sample was of Town Green near Ormskirk which was a post-war adaptation built in 1949. I believe that was the last variation of the type and may have been unique. 

36 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Not the type of box they were showing samples of on their stand recently. (See page 1).

The picture you show is the wartime version of the ARP box as in their original publicity, their sample was of Town Green near Ormskirk which was a post-war adaptation built in 1949. I believe that was the last variation of the type and may have been unique. 

The Ratio 554 is the ARP wartime fact roofed wartime box, which is the subject of this original thread and relates to the pre-production picture I have included in my post.

20 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Now it's gone back to the smaller three window design in the OP as opposed to the five window version in the advertising.....

:scratchhead:

Jason

That is the model. The previous photo was preproduction. 

10 minutes ago, andyram said:

That is the model. The previous photo was preproduction. 

But they are entirely different boxes. One being much bigger than the other.

I understand we are getting the three window version, but why release photos of a five window version in all the advertising?

Someone at PECO needs to go to Specsavers….

Jason

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

But they are entirely different boxes. One being much bigger than the other.

I understand we are getting the three window version, but why release photos of a five window version in all the advertising?

Someone at PECO needs to go to Specsavers….

Jason

I have no idea, I am not a representative from Peco. The photo I posted earlier today is the actual model from the packaging and was photographed in my shop today. I am not posting in order to enter any debate, simply to state that the item is in stock and available to order.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I won't be buying, good job one of my friends supplied me with a dimensioned drawing of the five window one they used in some of the earlier publicity. 

Must measure up how much brick patterned styrene sheet I need before the next exhibition I go to. Oh, must check the bond pattern as well. 

• 2 months later...

Good Afternoon, 

I picked one of these signal boxes up. I have no real need for it but have always been a fan of the ARP style. Anyway the kit went together very well and very quickly. In fact it was a joy to build really. It is now inside ready to be painted and have an interior fitted.

Benjamin 

ARP.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2019 at 23:41, rue_d_etropal said:

that would be interesting. I have not heard anything locally. Has anyone tried drilling into bricks?

Back in 82 - as part of the ODM crew converting the Central side signal box at Victoria into the Bridge Engineer's Offices - ISTR drilling holes for conduit saddles was literally "one-bit per hole" due to the bricks being something called "red-faced blues" …………….

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/04/2020 at 16:18, Benjamin Brady said:

Good Afternoon, 

I picked one of these signal boxes up. I have no real need for it but have always been a fan of the ARP style. Anyway the kit went together very well and very quickly. In fact it was a joy to build really. It is now inside ready to be painted and have an interior fitted.

Benjamin 

ARP.jpg

The roof is the wrong way round in that picture. Slope should be towards the back.

• RMweb Gold
On 13/04/2020 at 17:32, Southernman46 said:

Back in 82 - as part of the ODM crew converting the Central side signal box at Victoria into the Bridge Engineer's Offices - ISTR drilling holes for conduit saddles was literally "one-bit per hole" due to the bricks being something called "red-faced blues" …………….

In 1966 I was given the job of of putting in two new wallboxes for the rods and wires to go through when the frame at Bordesley Junction was extended. Remove (IIRC) four courses of blue bricks from a solid 14" thick wall at ground level, 27" wide at a time, and insert the cast iron frames without the bricks above caving in. Not too bad once you have a hole right through but getting out the first ten bricks was a pain.

I also had to make four holes in the brickwork 1" diameter by 4" deep in an awkward position. They were in a place where only a lump hammer and star point chisel could be used. That part took me about half a day to do, widening them out in three stages. Cutting holes through the concrete floor in the days of hand tools was also a load of sweat and swearing.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good Evening,

Thank you for saying about the roof, looking at Town Green I guess the stove was moved at some point in its life for the chimney to end up at the front.

The box is in its painting stage I shall update with a photo when I have added some fixing and fixtures.

Benjamin