JMRI points control and Prodigy DCC

ITG

• RMweb Gold

Hi, my journey evolves ...... slowly. 

I have a JMRI Panel Pro mimic panel up and running, and operating points. But I note that if I change points via my Prodigy handheld controller whilst JMRI laptop is connected, whilst the points operate correctly, the mimic diagram does not change in line with that. 

Can anyone advise is this a settings issue somewhere in JMRI, or is this how it is?

my next job will be to set up routes in JMRI, so that multiple points operate on a single click. I already have this set up in the Prodigy, but these do not appear to transfer to JMRI. Is that correct?

I see the JMRI Routes table but have yet to confront it - any tips please?

thanks

Ian

1 hour ago, ITG said:

Hi, my journey evolves ...... slowly. 

I have a JMRI Panel Pro mimic panel up and running, and operating points. But I note that if I change points via my Prodigy handheld controller whilst JMRI laptop is connected, whilst the points operate correctly, the mimic diagram does not change in line with that. 

Can anyone advise is this a settings issue somewhere in JMRI, or is this how it is?

Probably how it is.  

Consult the JMRI pages on what features are passed over the MRC/Gaugemaster link to find out. 

You'll have to read the page, and then possibly post a question on the JMRI support group on Groups.IO to get a definitive answer.

https://www.jmri.org/help/en/html/hardware/mrc/index.shtml

The JMRI developers will have added everything that is passed over, the limitation will be in the MRC/Gaugemaster hardware.  MRC (makers of the hardware) have a history of being between "unhelpful" and "downright hostile" to the idea of adding computer control or any third party devices to their control system. 

my next job will be to set up routes in JMRI, so that multiple points operate on a single click. I already have this set up in the Prodigy, but these do not appear to transfer to JMRI. Is that correct?

I see the JMRI Routes table but have yet to confront it - any tips please?

See page referenced above.  Add 1000 to Route Address and then can call it as a turnout eg. MRC Handset Route 4 is JMRI Turnout 1004.     

Tips - decide visually how you want to operate your layout.   Then look at how to make JMRI achieve your visual goal, because once a turnout is known to JMRI, the visual presentation, the triggering of routes (or sequences of turnouts), and so on is extremely flexible.  But that flexibility comes at the price of at least a dozen ways to do any particular thing.   So know what you want to achieve, then ask for advice.

If using the +1000 method for routes, then a mimic panel will need a bit of jiggery-pockery to show all the individual turnouts changing.   I know how to do it, but it might get very messy.   So, may be better to set those up as individual turnouts within JMRI so that any mimic panel will show the changes more easily. 

- Nigel