6-Wheel Bogie Coaches?

Sir TophamHatt

12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

........ Googling to try to find when they were withdrawn - the interesting point being that this 12 wheeled coach was actually built by BR in 1952, to an LMS design!  http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/398.html The fact that it was preserved in 1974 in good nick suggests withdrawn 1973/74.

There are quite a number on the Carriage Survey - one at least scrapped - 73/74 is probably right for traffic withdrawal but a number acquired DB numbers for a few more years and entered preservation between 79 & 83. ( I'm sure I looked at a pair at Newton Heath still in blue & grey bit can't find any photos ! ....... may have included the one that went to the Mad Hints )

Edited by Wickham Green
speeling
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

There was a 12-wheeler in the Royal Train until the mid(?) 1980s. If that counts?

The 1941 King's and Queen's Saloons were preserved in 1977 .......... the matching Generator Brake disappeared beneath a coat of grey paint and was last seen at Vic Berry's in Leicester : Christmas 1990.

Just wondering what the best route to a blue/grey 12 wheeler sleeping car is? Is the comet kit suitable? I notice the sides are available separately, would using the Hornby 12 wheel restaurant car to fit comet sides to be an option? 

• RMweb Premium

The LMS 12 wheel sleepers that survived to blue/grey were D2166 plus one of D1928; these were all 69 ft vehicles. The only 69 ft-er listed by Comet is the D1947 composite, all of which had gone by 1963.

The other snag is that the Hornby 12-wheeler is a 68 ft-er.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The other snag is that the Hornby 12-wheeler is a 68 ft-er.

And the underframe is poor, rides at the wrong height and has cut-outs for first radius curves!

Not a good place to start from IMHO

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

And the underframe is poor, rides at the wrong height and has cut-outs for first radius curves!

Not a good place to start from IMHO

Fair enough, however you have reminded me that it will have to negotiate second radius curves - not on the main line I hasten to add, but there are some tight spots on the station throat. I hope I won't need to make cut outs on the comet to get it to work...

Edited by Titan

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

But Hornby was specically mentioned.

Yes, I didn't disagree with you there, but the tooling is the old Dapol tooling, is it not? Hornby just don't make the better version of the underframe any more. There may also be those out there unaware that anything better was once available (and probably is, second hand).

• RMweb Gold

Do any of the sleepers survive in preservation? 

There was an 8w one on the north Norfolk used for volunteer accommodation but rotted and at the end was bloody awful and had to be scrapped as was full of asbestos so I assume the others are the same

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, russ p said:

Do any of the sleepers survive in preservation? 

Survive is a questionable word. Most seem to be steadily rotting away, having outlived their usefulness as volunteer accommodation. Many (all?) seem to have had asbestos removed in the 80s.

Details here: http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/search.asp - select SLF and pick out the BR/LMS 12-wheelers from the list. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1

Continuing my attempt to drag coarse-scale tinplate into every possible discussion, here are some tin twelve trotters:

Carette LNWR dining car, also produced post-WW1 in LMS livery in Northampton, using ex-Carette tooling.

8E311BF0-E753-49FA-B1E0-4DD58A3E01C3.jpeg.8296d60676bf67a0db5522a1a7f63229.jpeg

And a modern Darstaed TP rendition of an ex-LMS sleeping car.

00CC0274-C5A4-4328-83A2-FA1A8B85825C.jpeg.993f59ba78c6d1db2ae6410da29a4ddd.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Survive is a questionable word. Most seem to be steadily rotting away, having outlived their usefulness as volunteer accommodation. Many (all?) seem to have had asbestos removed in the 80s.

Details here: http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/search.asp - select SLF and pick out the BR/LMS 12-wheelers from the list. 

Seems that preserved sleepers of anything other than mk3s are an endangered species. 

Mind having spent nights in the LNER one at Goathland and the LMS one at sheringham,  both no longer around I can sort of see why

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Continuing my attempt to drag coarse-scale tinplate into every possible discussion, here are some tin twelve trotters:

Carette LNWR dining car, also produced post-WW1 in LMS livery in Northampton, using ex-Carette tooling.

8E311BF0-E753-49FA-B1E0-4DD58A3E01C3.jpeg.8296d60676bf67a0db5522a1a7f63229.jpeg

RTR isn't what it used to be!

Oh for a RTR 00 LNWR 12-wheeler!