Known surviving loco’s that worked over the S&D in the BR era.

• RMweb Gold

I’m trying to compile a list of any surviving steam loco’s that worked over the S&D in the BR era on a regular basis.  After looking through various books and online, I’ve found;

34046 - Braunton

92220 - Evening Star

Any others would be helpful.

• RMweb Premium
On 05/11/2019 at 15:23, jools1959 said:

on a regular basis.

How many of the engines mentioned does that apply to? Obviously 53808/9!

A fellow club member was holding forth at length on the working of the Somerset & Dorset in the BR era. He maintained that any photo of a Bulleid light pacific on the Pines Express is a record of an emergency - the rostered Black or Standard Five having failed, Bournemouth substituted some other engine they were keen to see the back of for a bit. He did admit that that seemed to happen rather often. So, anything 340xx might be frequent but was certainly irregular!

Sadly there are no survivors of that most regular of all Somerset & Dorset passenger engines, the 2P.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

How many of the engines mentioned does that apply to? Obviously 53808/9!

A fellow club member was holding forth at length on the working of the Somerset & Dorset in the BR era. He maintained that any photo of a Bulleid light pacific on the Pines Express is a record of an emergency - the rostered Black or Standard Five having failed, Bournemouth substituted some other engine they were keen to see the back of for a bit. He did admit that that seemed to happen rather often. So, anything 340xx might be frequent but was certainly irregular!

Sadly there are no survivors of that most regular of all Somerset & Dorset passenger engines, the 2P.

When I put on a regular basis, it meant would appear frequently on any type of working, not just “emergency” to cover a failure.  I would also put that it appeared 4-6 times over a 12 month period.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

When I put on a regular basis, it meant would appear frequently on any type of working, not just “emergency” to cover a failure.  I would also put that it appeared 4-6 times over a 12 month period.

The club member I mentioned would probably say that the light pacifics didn't fall into that first category, but may have done so in the second.

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2019 at 07:16, jools1959 said:

... I would also put that it appeared 4-6 times over a 12 month period.

I think that’s quite hard to define and also a limiting factor of your request.  Across many publications there are several apparently ‘one off’ images of particular locomotives working on the S&D including WCs/BoBs/9F/Black 5s/T9s etc.

But because most recording / photography of trains was done at weekends (and in the warmer months) and not every train every weekend was recorded, we don’t really know if these were the only workings of a particular locomotive running over the line. Maybe some borrowed or visiting locomotives to Bath did run over the line on consecutive weekends or days of the week but simply weren’t recorded because no one was there to see it or document it.

Regards,

Iain