Help

Rusty Rails

I have had in possession a 1960’s railway set made up of three RS type boxes sadly in worn condition.
The set is currently on an 8x4 board which has not changed since I received it as a Christmas Present when I was 8. (I’m now 55) 
My late Father and late God Father apparently got rather drunk on whisky way into the wee small hours setting it up and no doubt having a play with it Christmas Eve around 1972 I think.
It has remained in storage since the late 70’s and only now do I have the set again together. Two of the loco’s need repair and I’ve recently been told they’re not worth repairing as the gauges now on tracks are different. I don’t want it to fit with new stuff I just would like to see it as it was originally so my question is where can I get repairs done for this set.
The layout has been stored in a damp garage and the rails show signs on surface rust which I’ve applied wire wool to and seems to clean up fairly well.
I did look at attending the show at the NEC in November but alas it’s our Scout troops Xmas fair that weekend so won’t be making it.
Hope someone can point me in the right direction

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

It sounds like a lovely story. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s not worth repairing as sentiment has no value. It sounds like a triang Set from how you described it. The wheels will be coarser and not run on newer track but it is easy to convert them. Just as easy to get old triang track and spares and keep the spirit of the original layout as it is. Please post a picture or two And you will get some useful replies. If you say where you live we can recommend local repairers. Welcome to the forum and stay around. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I can't think of many things from that era that can't be repaired or parts replaced.

It's probably worth a look through the collectors part of the forum. There are plenty of people there who are interested in older models.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/115-collectablevintage/

There is also this website dedicated to Triang and Hornby Dublo. Well worth a browse.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to the forum! As others have said ,nothing is totally lost. Assuming you have Tri-ang, Triang-Hornby, or Hornby, then the spares situation is usually quite good, and E-Bay always beckons. As an example, I bought some of the original  1950's Triang Type 1 track for a colleague last Christmas, all boxed up, and A1 condition as well.  

If you post up some comprehensive pictures, there will be a plethora of modellers on here who've 'cut their teeth' on a whole range of models. Many & most will probably know to the Nth degree how to offer solid advice, which is pretty always free on here.

Take heart, and welcome... 

Ian.

Just one thing - if you've used wire wool on the rails - DO make sure there's none left between the rails. A good vacuuming should sort it out otherwise you'll either have shorts from the rails or your electric motors will suck it up and cause major problems there. A good track rubber would be best. Oh, and welcome.

Cheers,

Philip

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just as Philou has mentioned, you will need to keep it reasonably clean, and strand free. May I suggest for the track, that you use a Peco-style track rubber, specially on the old steel track. I might suggest also that you use it lightly; not too much pressure on the rail heads.

I'm not too sure why you've reached the model shop guide on here, but I'll guess the mods will relocate you to a much more suitable spot.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies.

obviously I'm new to this site so not sure, as tomparryharry said if I'm actually in the right forum area.

i have had to take the decision to remove the track from the board as the board is basically only good for the fire now. Also now found that the rail supports are perished and the whole set of rails has gone in the bin. Totally u/s. 

So I'll post some pictures in the new year as I've moved to the isle of Skye and will need to get my head into gear with house related stuff before I incur the wrath of the misses.

Great to be on line with knowledgable good people like yourselves.