Cutting 2mm card

johna

• RMweb Premium
On 05/11/2019 at 23:39, brossard said:

I have built a lot of card structures.  My weapon of choice is the Olfa knife (yellow handle).  Snap off the dull blade to reveal a fresh one.

John

John,

There seem to be a number of Olfa knives with yellow handles, do you have a particular one that you are referring to?

David

I prefer a different approach. This blade is not splitting the material, it digs kind of a small trench in several cuts. The edge of the cut is perpendicular to the surface. With a knife, you will always have a sloping edge.

Michael

Edited by michl080
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Cornholio said:

@Phil Parker shared a tip recently of using a scrap piece of wood as a cutting guide. The thickness of the wood holds the blade perfectly vertical, therefore resulting in a nice straight cut.

I used it on foamboard, but can't see why it wouldn't work on card as well.

https://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/2019/07/cutting-foamboard-square.html

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2019 at 09:41, Phil Parker said:

I used it on foamboard, but can't see why it wouldn't work on card as well.

https://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/2019/07/cutting-foamboard-square.html

How I wish I had read Phil's tip for cutting foamboard earlier!! Have just cut base layers* for dock piling for my micro layout Woodhey Wharf and the cuts are anything but vertical! What a simple but effective tip! I may well now do them again (eek!), although the point of using foamboard is that I don't need to glue three layers of card together to get the necessary depth, and it is such an easy material to cut!!

I wonder if I could source a milled square metal bar, so the blade doesn't eat away the guide material?

Could a rotary guillotine do the job?  Some models claim to accurately cut through up to 2mm depth of material, and those would be vertical cuts.

* Scalescenes download, Dock Walls

• Agree 1

On 22/01/2020 at 01:07, SteveyDee68 said:

Could a rotary guillotine do the job?  Some models claim to accurately cut through up to 2mm depth of material, and those would be vertical cuts.

Update

Today I called in an artists suppliers for spray matt varnish, but also came away with brown and black inks, a selection of balsa wood and a rather nifty ruler/cutter designed for cutting art board mounts. Not only is it guaranteed to cut vertically through materials, but also materials up to 7mm thick, so 2mm thick card or 5mm thick foamboard shouldn't be a problem.  It also does 45 degree cuts (for framing mounts) but which should come in handy for mitred corners on buildings, depending upon the accuracy!  Bargain for £15!

Steve S

• Informative/Useful 1

On 25/01/2020 at 13:27, dhjgreen said:

Any make or model info please?

Hi - it is made by Jakar and is a Mount Cutter Kit with 40cm acrylic ruler (ref 7380). It cost £14.99 reduced from £19.99, and I got it instead of the 60cm version which would have cost £36.00 - that's called stumbling upon a bargain!

The cutter slides in a groove in the rule, allowing multiple passes - the blades are bi-directional, cutting in both directions.

Steve S

IMG_0575.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/02/2020 at 12:10, Rowsley17D said:

Thanks for the heads up on this product which I have just ordered - the aluminium  version at £14.99 including postage. I've been trying to cut card at 90 deg for ages!!

Hi

Report back how you get on with it. My instructions suggest having "sacrificial" material underneath, and I have to get some more mountboard before I can try it.  I will post results here when I do.

Hours of fun!

Steve

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Hi

Report back how you get on with it. My instructions suggest having "sacrificial" material underneath, and I have to get some more mountboard before I can try it.  I will post results here when I do.

Hours of fun!

Steve

I have only had a try with it to see how it works. I use an A3 size cutting mat underneath but will need to get a bigger one for cutting larger sheets of card. Like using a knife I make several passes with the blade until it cuts right through the card. It certainly cuts at right angles. I found the cutting knife piece ran very stiffly along the aluminium ruler but lubricated it with some graphite powder.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1