Romford / Markits wheels and axles?

DCB

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

They do supply wheels with kits. If you select them. They used to be Romford and are now Gibson.

Wheelsets, motor and gearboxes are available (See options)

So saying he doesn't supply wheels with kits is blatantly wrong as I've got a few over the years.

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/292/4l3-mswjr-4-4-0-gwr-rebuild/

Jason

Jason, 

I think we arguing about semantics, Roxey kits don't come with wheels by default, which is why I typed that he can supply wheels for his kits - I've been helping Dave at exhibition for 30 odd years, and was behind the stand at Scalefourum 5 or 6 weeks ago when Mark made a delivery of parts, so I'm pretty confident that the trading relationship is still going, however Dave has always been very careful about what he stocks, so he doesn't hold the whole range, with his focus on the stuff that complements the mostly Southern focus of the Roxey range.

Jon

Edited by jonhall

• RMweb Premium

"4mm SCALE WHEELS by MARKITS and ROMFORD

Sorry there are no products in this category."

Is what you get from the Roxey website of you click on the link to 4mm wheels.

So they may have been available in the past (they were, I bought some) and they may be available in the future but none available now.

From my conversation, it sounds as if some parts of the wheel making process that were outsourced, are now being brought in house. He told me that he had just finished casting the wheel centres himself.

On 06/11/2019 at 05:10, uax6 said:

SEFinecast and Branchlines carry stock.

Andy G

Do Branchlines have a website? I've googled for one but all I get is a listing on UK Model Shops site and a blog post from 2008.

18 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Do Branchlines have a website? I've googled for one but all I get is a listing on UK Model Shops site and a blog post from 2008.

No, I think they still haven't. One emails (sales@branchlines.com?) to enquire, they will supply lists for specific types of things (eg 4mm loco kits, or motors and gears) by email. So I'd email and ask re wheels, and for the relevant price list.

Good luck.

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Dave, As John says below

26 minutes ago, johnarcher said:

No, I think they still haven't. One emails (sales@branchlines.com?) to enquire, they will supply lists for specific types of things (eg 4mm loco kits, or motors and gears) by email. So I'd email and ask re wheels, and for the relevant price list.

Good luck.

Email them and they reply promptly with a price list,  orders are fulfilled promptly. :good_mini:

• RMweb Premium

Or pick up the phone and speak to Brian. Both He and Dave at SEF are well worth speaking to. Very approachable and happy to help out by supplying odd things from their ranges.

Andy G

• Agree 1

I have just spoken to Dave Hammersley who owns Roxey Mouldings who has confirmed the following

He sells both Markit and Alan Gibson wheels and hopefully by the weekend he should have a good stock of all the main sizes of Markit drivers he carries (expecting a delivery from Markits at the Tolworth show)

The reason why only Gibson wheels  are shown as  4mm scale option and why there are no wheels currently on his website, is that at the time of compiling the website a great number of Markit loco wheels were out of stock, Markits now have most if not all of their drivers back in stock, those they have not will be available very soon. Dave also told me he stocks more Markit parts than are shown on his website. He is happy to chat (phone or email) to anyone who wishes to buy his own and other products he sells (01932 245439) also has an online ordering system

The situation as I understand it, is that Markits have the wheel centres cast and blackened by outside contractors, Markits turn the tyres and drill and tap the wheels, they are then sent to an outside contractor who fits the tyres to the wheels. In the recent past there has been delays in restocking some of the range. Hopefully matters have been resolved

Dave is very happy to supply customer requirements of Markit wheels via mail order.

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5