3D prints in a clear resin

I am building GWR 7mm coaches with interior gas lighting and using one LED per gas globe. I am using 3D prints FUD from Shapeways to provide the lamp base (between the globe and the underneath of the roof) and I am looking for a supplier who can offer 3D prints in clear/transparent/colourless resin for the "glass" part of the prototype. I have looked at offerings from Shapeways and (a) the "clear" resin that they offer is translucent/cloudy rather than clear whilst (b) the "optically-clear" offering is aimed at commercial/production quantities and hence prohibitive in price.

Any suggestions as to which supplier can provide 3D prints in a resin which is going to look like a gas globe? At the moment my 3D CAD drawing for the globe is a solid, half, sphere so wall thickness is not an issue.

thank you, Graham

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham, I know that this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but are you set on 3D printing in clear resin, or have you thought about getting a prototype done and casting instead?

Also, it might be worth talking to @Knuckles to see if he  has looking into clear resin.

• Like 1

I've printed in clear resin before.  Sometimes it does go a little cloudy so no guarantee there.

Currently though I have no clear resin in stock, would have to spend around £20-50 to buy some.   :-/

Usually use grey, black or white.

On 06/11/2019 at 11:51, Western Star said:

I am building GWR 7mm coaches with interior gas lighting and using one LED per gas globe. I am using 3D prints FUD from Shapeways to provide the lamp base (between the globe and the underneath of the roof) and I am looking for a supplier who can offer 3D prints in clear/transparent/colourless resin for the "glass" part of the prototype. I have looked at offerings from Shapeways and (a) the "clear" resin that they offer is translucent/cloudy rather than clear whilst (b) the "optically-clear" offering is aimed at commercial/production quantities and hence prohibitive in price.

Almost all 3D prints have surface defects and will need to be polished to get an 'optically-clear' finish. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 06/11/2019 at 11:51, Western Star said:

Any suggestions as to which supplier can provide 3D prints in a resin which is going to look like a gas globe? At the moment my 3D CAD drawing for the globe is a solid, half, sphere so wall thickness is not an issue.

thank you, Graham

If these "globes" are incandescent mantles, then they would not be transparent.  Are they instead glass covers for flat-flame burners?