View new content problems - Again/still

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Sorry to raise this issue once again but your software gurus have still not solved the problems of view new content being totally screwed up when someone updates/amends a post from the past.

Today on three occasions I have suffered from enormous gaps in the view new content output because someone has decided to update or amend a previous post - in one case from quite some time ago.   In some cases a page update has worked in revealing the missing posts.  In some cases opening the pages before and after the discontinuity have worked.  Today nothing short of logging out and restarting has allowed me to see 2 days worth of posts.

Since these experts ( def: Ex = something that has been + spurt = drip under pressure) seem incapable of solving the problem, could I politely suggest that posts should not be allowed to be amended or updated after a short period (say 1 hour).  I know that that has drawbacks.  I also know that members missing posts unless they are on their metal and can find a way to get missing posts to display is also a drawback.  It is a question of which is the larger problem.

Your views please.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Eh ???

Can't say .I've ever had a problem. Are you sure your browser isn't showing archived content?

How does it manifest itself?

I had just gone to "view new content" and this topic was amongst a page of new content posted in the last 20 minutes or so.

• RMweb Premium

Most definitely not archived content.

Typically I will have a list of new content items running from say 1 minute ago to say 2 hour ago and then the next item is 10 hours ago, 3 days ago, or April 3 or some other very improbable next item.  This has been reported by several people several times and the "experts" are always looking at it - like workmen looking at a hole in the road, but not repairing it.  

We have been told that this is due to people amending old posts.  The amendment comes through at its right time slot - say 2 hours ago, but it shows its original posting date (April 3) and intermediate posts are not shown.  There are ways to recover them but it is a right Bu@@ers muddle to do so and there does not seem to be one, 100% reliable way to do so.

Now all of this might sound like a bit of a storm in a tea cup - and perhaps it is just an itch that cannot be scratched.  But I suggest that if the system can drop out 10 hours/3 days/6months of new posts - all of which are very obvious to those with their senses about them - can it also drop out 1 hours worth, 30 minutes or just a couple of posts?  I don't know, but based on what we have been told, I would think it highly likely.

Very often the amended items (those at the start of the time discontinuity) are exhibition announcements and you can imagine an exhibition manager updating perhaps the list of attending layouts or traders, not realising the mayhem that can result (and why should they realise?).  However today was due to at least one post relating to a layout plan so it looks like any amendment means that your new content report is unreliable.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just gone to "View New Content" again and I needed to load about 6 pages of postings before I even got to 6 hours ago and I have never noticed anything different.

In fact I found 271 (give or take a couple) of New Content since Midnight last night all with regular time spacings.

It seems odd if some are getting the problem and others possibly aren't.

I've never noticed a time anomaly, maybe I'm just lucky?

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I find this every few days. I login the same time each night but find that the new content may stop at 11 hours ago or 17 hours ago sometimes with an extraneous post from days or months ago. It can normally be cured by refreshing the page.

• Agree 1

What I find annoying is how I almost always lose an hour or so of activity, whenever the time since my last visit is longer than a few hours. I start with the oldest first, but after a couple of Load More Activity clicks, the time will jump by an hour or two. I know I can recover them by changing to the latest first sort, but then I have to scroll through a couple of hours of activity to find the missing items. Most of the time, though, I now tend to ignore the gap, assuming that if the topic is interesting it will turn up again.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if this is related to local saved information (likely in cookies)? To date I have never experienced this problem, but then I always log out of RMweb when finished, and clear out my entire browser history after each 'session' of browsing.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Since these experts seem incapable of solving the problem, could I politely suggest that posts should not be allowed to be amended or updated after a short period (say 1 hour).  I know that that has drawbacks.  I also know that members missing posts unless they are on their metal and can find a way to get missing posts to display is also a drawback.  It is a question of which is the larger problem.

Your views please.

The lack of fix sits with the software developers, Invision. They seem more intent in getting to the next version of the software than fully fixing known issues.

I have tweaked some settings which limits the editing of blog and gallery entries which seem to trigger the problem. Edited forum posts don't seem to cause the same issue so I've left that as is. We'll have to watch and see if it curtails the problem (or causes another!).

12 hours ago, melmerby said:

Can't say .I've ever had a problem.

As there are an infinite number of ways that an individual user can tailor the activity feeds some may suffer the problem whilst others may not.

43 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I wonder if this is related to local saved information (likely in cookies)?

It could be but the root cause starts somewhere before those are written.

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I have tweaked some settings which limits the editing of blog and gallery entries which seem to trigger the problem.

I've had the same problem a few times. Here's one I saved a while ago. It stepped back about 3 months at an Exhibition Calendar entry, not the first time this has happened to me.

515324738_RMwebdatestep.JPG.792bf4c2ffc74d304a95dacdb0a8b305.JPG

What I had after refreshing the screen was 

374822784_RMwebdatestep2.JPG.64950439569c2ff318e02ea6b2ca137f.JPG

Last week it happened when I think someone had added a picture to an old album and it stepped back to 2014. When I tried to refresh it said there was no more content to show. I logged out and restarted the browser and it worked fine.

There is no pattern to it, sometimes hours, sometimes days, months or years.

As you say it is likely a software problem with the host as I have had the problem on Chrome, IE and an Android phone

• Informative/Useful 1

Echo most of the quoted problems from time to time.   Also have another one in that fairly frequently after I have read a post and I use the go back arrow it will take me to apparently random locations.  Other time back to where I left the  main page.  BTW, the suggestion to click at the bottom of the page after the first new posts seems to be working pretty constantly.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it helps, but now having the same problem. Thought I was imagining it at first and then remembered this thread....

Seems to relate to Mick Bonwick's blog....Nothing personal...:-)

333446784_Screenshot2019-11-27at17_19_44.png.1c8e50ed2a55f0d69f6b02980bfe47dc.png

Edit: Bottom of page...

950665257_Screenshot2019-11-27at17_26_02.png.b55d694f458f22a8855a365913e50f60.png

Edited by gordon s
  • Agree 2

I just posted on the Facebook page asking what is going on?   Basically I have a preferred activity set to read new un-read content starting with the oldest   Today I have at least 4 pages (gave up after page 4) of Mick Bonwick's Blog (again nothing against Mick Bonwick).   Then I had the brainwave of starting with the latest and I am in, but I nearly gave up.

• RMweb Premium

If it helps any with fault finding I'm getting the odd out of order erratic post in my version of view new content. They seem to be limited to blog posts rather than forum content. This screenshot should illustrate what's happening for me ...

504529488_prob2.jpg.e1bf7f036f7d90372ca04d0d9bff63d2.jpg

.... and this one should show what filters I use to get my take on 'view new content'.

1710089072_prob1.jpg.6d2723fe803641f617ad909284e49410.jpg

3 hours ago, gordon s said:

Not sure if it helps, but now having the same problem. Thought I was imagining it at first and then remembered this thread....

Seems to relate to Mick Bonwick's blog....Nothing personal...:-)

333446784_Screenshot2019-11-27at17_19_44.png.1c8e50ed2a55f0d69f6b02980bfe47dc.png

Edit: Bottom of page...

950665257_Screenshot2019-11-27at17_26_02.png.b55d694f458f22a8855a365913e50f60.png

I had exactly the same scenario today with screens just like these screenshots and it's not the first time that I've encountered similar issues.  It's something I've never understood, but yes, blog posts, as above, look like they could be the source of the issues I've had.

Unfortunately, I've never known how to fix the issue (and still don't) because I've never known what causes it (but I do now).

• RMweb Premium

I too have had this apparently random set of posts, but it may indicate that someone has started doing something, because in the past my list would have jumped to the first 4dy (or whatever) and then produced only posts after that date.  That today we are it seems getting all of the posts is a step forward, not perfect perhaps but a definite step forward.